News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question to Porkchops

Started by Martinus, April 13, 2013, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2013, 11:29:45 AM
Jesus you guys are morons. I realize what it means. I just wonder why Portuguese drop it in front of names of historical monarchs in casual conversations.

You mean like the English, "Mr."?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martim Silva

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2013, 11:29:45 AM
Jesus you guys are morons. I realize what it means. I just wonder why Portuguese drop it in front of names of historical monarchs in casual conversations.

BECAUSE IT REMAINS IN CURRENT USE.

"Dom" is indeed the abbreviation of 'Dominvus', and is shortened in writing to 'D.' (as in 'Dom Fernando' is written 'D. Fernando').

It means that, unlike the name 'senhor' (which means 'senior', or 'lord of the household', not necessarily a noble and used for any adult male), its holder is/was indeed a title-holder of power and influence.

It is not restricted to nobles; the clergy also uses it, from Bishop and above. The current Cardinal-Patricarch of Lisbon, D. José Policarpo, is an example. Here is how he is referred to:

http://www.agencia.ecclesia.pt/cgi-bin/noticia.pl?id=94702

D. José Policarpo projeta novo pontificado

Also, you *have* to use the "Dom" when addressing these title-holders. Not doing so denotes extreme lack of respect, as you are lowering them to the rank of a commoner. To the point that you *would* be asked to leave the premises.

garbon

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 13, 2013, 06:46:19 PM
BECAUSE IT REMAINS IN CURRENT USE.

From Mart's most recent post his critique stems from the fact that it doesn't really have a purpose in a conversation in English. Doesn't generally suggest anything that you've listed below.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.