News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Wait on" or "Wait for"?

Started by Syt, June 14, 2011, 10:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I see it in writing, on forums and the like, all the time.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Slargos

Is it an americanism or an engrishism?

In Swedish, we say "vänta på" or "waiting on" and it becomes natural to translate it that way.

Warspite

Quote from: grumbler on June 15, 2011, 08:48:46 AM

"I had to wait on the bus for what seemed like an hour."

I read that like you were stuck in traffic for an hour.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on June 15, 2011, 09:15:41 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 15, 2011, 08:48:46 AM

"I had to wait on the bus for what seemed like an hour."

I read that like you were stuck in traffic for an hour.
Yeah, not a good example.  Maybe "I had to wait on my lawyer's answer for an hour."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Josephus on June 15, 2011, 08:59:14 AM

Yes, but that's just illiteracy. Not a colloquialism.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Are you expecting proper grammar on a forum? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

I rather suspect that you hang out in illiterate circles.  I've never seen "of" used in place of "have" in writing (transliterations of speech aside) and, even if I I had, it isn't as annoying as people not using any capitalization or punctuation or sentences and just writing one long rambling string of words after another until it is hard to even fucking tell what they are talking about if anything okay understand what I mean
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!