And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Halloween Movie List

Started by Savonarola, October 02, 2016, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 04, 2016, 10:56:47 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2016, 07:48:17 PM
Halloween to me is an annual reminder that I need to avoid going out on 31 October.  Also, I am not really into horror shows, anime or not.

Is it a big deal in HK?

When I was a kid, only the British expats participated in it.  It so happened that my father was a civil servant and lived in civil service quarters with lots of Brits.  So we were told to lock the doors on 31 October.  Through the security hole on the door, I saw lots of kids in funny costumes.  That's about it, a bunch of kids of British expats doing trick or treat. 

About 15-20 years ago, the Lan Kwai Fong bar district and the Ocean Park started to use Halloween as a selling point.  That's when it started to take off. 

Right now, I think it is a pretty big deal, with lots of people of all ages cosplaying different characters.  Lots of restaurants and malls use it to sell stuff.  But trick or treat isn't done by too many people.  My housing estate is mostly unaffected.

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on October 02, 2016, 06:51:32 PM
Christmas decorations have been up in Wal-Mart for a month now, so it must be time to get the movie queue for Halloween together.  This year, in honor of Gene Wilder, I plan on watching:

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein
The Ghost of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
House of Frankenstein
Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Young Frankenstein

I'll also plan to see "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" and "The Phantom Carriage."  What's on your list?

Only made it through Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown so far.  I learned that Colin Clive had broken his leg shortly before filming "Bride of Frankenstein" so that's why he's almost always sitting down or taking bed rest.  Fortunately Ernest Thesiger is the real mad scientist in that one.

I also learned that Colin Clive was a descendant of Robert Clive; but even though he's in "Clive of India" Ronald Colman plays Clive.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock