News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Halloween Movie List

Started by Savonarola, October 02, 2016, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Christmas decorations have been up in Wal-Mart for a month now, so it must be time to get the movie queue for Halloween together.  This year, in honor of Gene Wilder, I plan on watching:

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein
The Ghost of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
House of Frankenstein
Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Young Frankenstein

I'll also plan to see "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" and "The Phantom Carriage."  What's on your list?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

I don't dig on horror movies.  Although, if I want to truly experience terror, I might spool up a Lars von Trier flick.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

masque of the red death.

That's it. Might catch Constantine just for the bit at the end with Satan.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Savonarola on October 02, 2016, 06:51:32 PM
Christmas decorations have been up in Wal-Mart for a month now, so it must be time to get the movie queue for Halloween together.  This year, in honor of Gene Wilder, I plan on watching:

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein
The Ghost of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man
House of Frankenstein
Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Young Frankenstein

I'll also plan to see "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" and "The Phantom Carriage."  What's on your list?
I think all of those are on Turner Classic Movies coming up in the next 2 weeks.  Frankenstein is the "featured monster" this October.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josephus

Is the new Blair Witch any good?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2016, 07:02:18 PM
I don't dig on horror movies.  Although, if I want to truly experience terror, I might spool up a Lars von Trier flick.

Melnacholia? Though I guess that's better suited to family holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

If I were celebrating Halloween, my shortlist would probably be
It
Friday 13th 1-4
Braindead aka Dead Alive
Evil Dead 1&2 + Army of Darkness
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2016, 07:30:14 AM
Is the new Blair Witch any good?

Cannot be as good as the original cannibal found footage movie it ripped off.

Syt

It's been a while since I watched Cannibal Holocaust. Need to check if it holds up. Which reminds me that I missed the Slash Filmfestival last week where Ruggero Deodato presented his new movie. :(

I do whistle the beautiful theme from Cannibal Holocaust from time to time, though. :wub:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf1Vt6r-sj8
(Safe for work)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

My favorite old-fashioned horror movie remains The Changeling.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Darth Wagtaros

The Worst Witch, a Disney Halloween Treat, The Halloween that Almost Wasn't, The Good witch,
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on October 03, 2016, 07:35:17 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2016, 07:02:18 PM

Melnacholia? Though I guess that's better suited to family holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas. :P

Nah, I'm just as big a pussy now when it comes to horror movies as I was when I was 5. :blush:

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I had a bit of a transformation when it comes to horror. When I was 4 or 5 my parents watched Blob, the old Steve McQueen version, and I was scared as shit. When I was 9 I secretly tried to watch Poltergeist on late night TV, but I only watched bits and pieces, because it was too scary.  :blush:

At age 11, I watched Jaws at a friends. That wasn't so bad. Then we watched Aliens together. That was what good me over the hump, and at age 16 we watched with friends a VHS copy of "Guinea Pig 2: Flower of Flesh & Blood" which was basically a simulated snuff movie which was gruesome, but also dull, because no plot besides detailed dismemberment of a young woman.

Now I can watch most horror, though some movies really shook me - Martyrs, Men Behind the Sun, Cannibal Holocaust, are a few examples. Others are just a big laugh (Dead Snow, Evil Dead, Jason, Fredddie, etc.). I still think the best movies are the ones that rely on tension, little gore and the imagination of the viewers - the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre which had almost no blood, or Rosemary's Baby come to mind.

Movies that give me a real hard time are the likes of The Girl Next Door (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Next_Door_(2007_film) - based on a true story). :weep:
—Stephen Jay Gould