News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Real problem with cancel culture

Started by viper37, July 12, 2020, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I don't see why it should apply to anyone, including Disney.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2024, 05:37:55 PMI don't see why it should apply to anyone, including Disney.

Because they do have the power to define things and make it their own in a way that regular people do not. So if you are some giant international culture machine just be respectful when using things from other countries that aren't your own.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

The idea that cultural expression should be subject to race-based gatekeeping is unsound.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on October 16, 2024, 05:51:28 PMThe idea that cultural expression should be subject to race-based gatekeeping is unsound.

I would agree. But I never said anything about race. Just being respectful to others cultures, especially when you are a giant culture maker, is about respecting other societies and cultures not about race.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2024, 05:52:38 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 16, 2024, 05:51:28 PMThe idea that cultural expression should be subject to race-based gatekeeping is unsound.

I would agree. But I never said anything about race.

Many do.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2024, 05:39:28 PMBecause they do have the power to define things and make it their own in a way that regular people do not. So if you are some giant international culture machine just be respectful when using things from other countries that aren't your own.

I don't see how respect enters into a discussion of cultural appropriation.  Almost by definition the cultural appropriator is showing respect.  A couple Quebeckers think bubble tea is cool and their customers will think it's cool.  A white yoga instructor teaches yoga because she thinks it's cool.

I don't know what you mean by define it and make it their own.  Kung Fu Panda didn't define kung fu or pandas and neither of them belong to Disney now.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on October 16, 2024, 11:02:36 AMIs China appropriating western IP?

One cannot "appropriate" IP.  One can steal it, however, as China is doing.

IP is not culture.  It is property.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2024, 05:39:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2024, 05:37:55 PMI don't see why it should apply to anyone, including Disney.

Because they do have the power to define things and make it their own in a way that regular people do not. So if you are some giant international culture machine just be respectful when using things from other countries that aren't your own.

An international entity cannot, by definition, have its "own country."

If any group is using cultural symbols that have very strong associations with a specific group, they should be very careful to ensure that they do not do so in an offensive way... unless that's their very intent.  Anyone is entitled to be offended.  Not every offended person is worth paying attention to, but if their concerns can be eased by a reasonable accommodation, then why not accommodate? 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!