News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The problem with Trump is not Trump.  It is the self-righteous morons he will put in all of the appointed offices.  Trump may be lazy, but they are not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The problems reinforce each other. Trump will not keep control over the self-righteous morons.  And the morons will not control Trump when he goes off-kilter.  It isn't accurate to say Trump is lazy.  He is intellectually lazy and has no interest in briefing papers or informing himself at all. But he does get fixated on certain things and will pursue them energetically unless deflected.  In a four year period, what is the chance that he will try to pull out of NATO, or revoke some other key defense treaty, or impose 100% tariffs on Canada, or fire missiles at some "caravan" on Mexican soil, or some other completely crazy thing we can't even imagine yet?  The morons may be just smart enough not to do those things ontheir own initiative, but there will be no Tillersons or Mattises among them to put obstacles in the way of the cray cray.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

He's not lazy.  Drop the first two letters and add 'cra'.  That's what he is.  He is genuinely mentally ill and totally unfit for public service.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

What about this rally the other day where he just played music and danced for like half an hour?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2024, 04:23:39 PMWhat about this rally the other day where he just played music and danced for like half an hour?

Better than him talking I suppose

Darth Wagtaros

That the one he bussed people in to and then left them to make their own way back?  That's the "most Godly president ever"?
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 15, 2024, 06:26:19 PMThat the one he bussed people in to and then left them to make their own way back?  That's the "most Godly president ever"?

Nope - that was a different one.

Not sure why the Irish Times is the first one I could find, but this video is just fucking bizarre.

https://www.irishtimes.com/video/video/2024/10/15/trump-dances-and-bobs-to-music-for-39-minutes-at-town-hall-in-pennsylvania/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 15, 2024, 06:26:19 PMThat the one he bussed people in to and then left them to make their own way back?  That's the "most Godly president ever"?
no wags, the other rally
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2024, 04:23:39 PMWhat about this rally the other day where he just played music and danced for like half an hour?

If this was his presidency many of my objections would be greatly diluted.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2024, 05:31:27 AMTrump is asked about grocery bills
https://x.com/atrupar/status/1845967889746014365

And people wonder why the authoritarians think they have a window of opportunity to reshape the world order...

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2024, 02:58:57 PMI just voted.  :)

I am voting on Monday!

Vote Early, Vote in Person, Vote Once!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

I'm having a lot of problems coming up with new Haitian names to vote under. I already used Elec-Teur Illega'l and Barry Bulletins. Any more suggestions?

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !