News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Razgovory

I fully agree with not certifying the West Virginia results.  In fact I would go a step further and not certify the results for any office in West Virginia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on October 07, 2024, 03:32:35 PMLaying the groundwork early I see.

Feels like the DoJ should get involved.

https://www.wvlegislature.gov/Bill_Status/bills_text.cfm?billdoc=hcr203%20intr.htm&yr=2024&sesstype=2X&i=203&houseorig=h&billtype=cr

I have seen no convincing evidence that any of the so-called delegates authoring that resolution have, in fact, been elected in free and fair elections, I propose that the United States government should ignore any laws or resolutions passed by the West Virginia legislature until they unambiguously prove that the so-called "delegates" thereof were honestly elected.  Personally, I refuse to accept the legitimacy of the current West Virginia legislature until such proof is presented.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on October 07, 2024, 03:32:35 PMLaying the groundwork early I see.

Feels like the DoJ should get involved.

LOL, that's a good one.

Valmy

There is no allowance in the Constitution for states to recognize Presidential elections. They get four electors and that's it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2024, 06:09:56 PMLOL, that's a good one.

No more of a joke than the "sovereign State of West Virginia"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2024, 06:09:56 PMLOL, that's a good one.
What an utter disappointment and total joke Garland has been. In a moment when a competent and strong AG was needed, we got him. He should have just faded away after he didn't get a nomination hearing.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on October 07, 2024, 06:43:37 PMWhat an utter disappointment and total joke Garland has been. In a moment when a competent and strong AG was needed, we got him. He should have just faded away after he didn't get a nomination hearing.

:huh: What would you like him to have done that he has not done?

Razgovory

We should have had the Trump indictment years ago, like in 2021.  They should have treated the Coup attempt against the US as some sort of emergency, cause it is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

That might go down as one of the greatest missed opportunities in US history. Unless things somehow work out next month.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Indicting Trump without an investigation would only have helped Trump. Garland was unable, by law, to force Jack Smith to indict Trump before Smith had the evidence he needed.  If it was a missed opportunity, thank Binky the opportunity was missed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2024, 09:06:29 PMIndicting Trump without an investigation would only have helped Trump. Garland was unable, by law, to force Jack Smith to indict Trump before Smith had the evidence he needed.  If it was a missed opportunity, thank Binky the opportunity was missed.

I meant that more to the politicians who failed to convict him in the impeachment.

But anyway, 45% or so of the country couldn't care less about all the horrible things this dude has done. That is the bigger problem.

Razgovory

Jack Smith wasn't even appointed until late 2022.  This whole thing shouldn't take 4 years.  The reports I've read say that Garland waited a whole year before he actually started any investigation of Trump.

Well, Garland will likely pay for it.  If Trump wins he will probably have someone prosecute Garland.

Josquius

Further proof the US is broken.
Because an election is coming up politicians just can't do their jobs.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/oct/07/desantis-harris-florida-hurricane-helene-milton

Is there any feasible way this could be fixed in future?
It seems tough as you have this system of picking nominees rather than having already standing party heads.... But even with that theoretical I fear it may not help.
██████
██████
██████

OttoVonBismarck

I mean realistically what part of disaster recovery requires a sitting Vice President (who has no legal role in managing FEMA or overseeing Federal disaster recovery efforts) to talk to a state Governor? Now, I think it is decently savvy politically, Harris has now created a record of doing hurricane outreach and DeSantis had to cave and take her call, and looks like he was grandstanding over it to that point, that's a PR win. But like the reality is FEMA's actual real employees are the ones who matter, not POTUS or VPOTUS making for-public-consumption feel good calls to the Governor.