Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2024, 11:00:23 PMThe evidence that Zorastrianism was monotheistic is pretty shaky, they were worshiping Mithra in addition to Ahura Mazda. 

I don't want to go deep down that rabbit hole, I think Zoroastrianism is at least as monotheistic as say Catholic Christianity with its trinitarian theology, the role of Mary and the whole panoply of powerful divine angels and saints.  But you don't have to completely accept the point to concede it is clear philosophical move in that direction.

QuoteWhether they were monotheistic is uncertain, Judah at least moved in that direction . . .My opinion is that Monotheism was a slow process championed by a priests of Yahweh but monotheism wasn't fully imposed on the people till after the Captivity.

I don't think it's uncertain pre-exile. The Torah and historical writings openly accept and presume the existence and even the power of other gods; they just describe how Yahweh is better and more powerful, which is typical and normal for an Iron Age Near Eastern tribal religion. The only solid historical or textual evidence that supports pre-exilic moves to monotheism is the Biblical account of the reforms under Josiah. However: (1) that is pretty late, (2) it requires accepting that account fully on face value and (3) it is not clear that the reforms as described involved monotheistic theology.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Native American gene flow into Rapanui dated to circa 1200 AD. Thor Heyerdahl was right but it is implausible that that is the first contact between Polynesia and South America.

Ancient Rapanui genomes reveal resilience and pre-European contact with the Americas

The sweet potato, probably from South America starts getting cultivated in eastern polynesia around 1000 AD.  :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on September 12, 2024, 10:04:22 AMNative American gene flow into Rapanui dated to circa 1200 AD. Thor Heyerdahl was right but it is implausible that that is the first contact between Polynesia and South America.

Ancient Rapanui genomes reveal resilience and pre-European contact with the Americas

The sweet potato, probably from South America starts getting cultivated in eastern polynesia around 1000 AD.  :hmm:

I supposed it could it take more than one individual to leave sufficient DNA traces for us to find traces? 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Around 10% of the genome is derived from Andean highlanders in native Rapanui so much more admixture than just 1 individual.

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on September 13, 2024, 05:59:19 AMAround 10% of the genome is derived from Andean highlanders in native Rapanui so much more admixture than just 1 individual.
Let me rephrase my question.

Hypothetical.

1000 AD, native Rapanuis travels to the Andes.  They bring back some potatoes with them.
Or, native Andes travel to Eastern Polynesia and bring potatoes with them.

From there, the potatoes are introduced in Eastern Polynesia.

Even if there is intercourse between one Rapanaui and Andes, what are the odds that we can find the traces of that today?

The bag of potato will grow into something.  One child will be one individual who may or may not survive and have descendants.

My theory is that it is plausible that there could be later contacts and over the course of these contacts there are other exchanges leading to offsprings with Andean DNA appearing toward 1200 A.D.  This is where we start noticing them.  But it does not exclude that the two people never met before 1200 A.D.

That was my question: does it not require more than a single exchange for us to find reliable traces of DNA in a population?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on September 13, 2024, 09:12:32 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 13, 2024, 05:59:19 AMAround 10% of the genome is derived from Andean highlanders in native Rapanui so much more admixture than just 1 individual.
Let me rephrase my question.

Hypothetical.

1000 AD, native Rapanuis travels to the Andes.  They bring back some potatoes with them.
Or, native Andes travel to Eastern Polynesia and bring potatoes with them.

From there, the potatoes are introduced in Eastern Polynesia.

Even if there is intercourse between one Rapanaui and Andes, what are the odds that we can find the traces of that today?

The bag of potato will grow into something.  One child will be one individual who may or may not survive and have descendants.

My theory is that it is plausible that there could be later contacts and over the course of these contacts there are other exchanges leading to offsprings with Andean DNA appearing toward 1200 A.D.  This is where we start noticing them.  But it does not exclude that the two people never met before 1200 A.D.

That was my question: does it not require more than a single exchange for us to find reliable traces of DNA in a population?

Curiously I've literally just finished watching a video about this question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HclD2E_3rhI

Interestingly it seems that go back a few hundred years and the odds you have DNA in common with someone who actually is a many times great grandparent of you are surprisingly low.

██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on September 11, 2024, 12:54:42 PMEnglish boy finds Roman gold bracelet while out walking his dog: https://allthatsinteresting.com/pagham-england-roman-bracelet

:hmm: 

I am more curious on the details of how it was found...what the are the chances an artifact from the Roman era would still be visible/exposed above ground?  Short of recent construction (turned over in the earth and was missed/overlooked) or seismic or water/flooding activity?

Josquius

I wonder if there have been any suspicious happenings around that boy since. Like making an online friend who seemingly only speaks Latin and everyone losing an hour at school.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: viper37 on September 13, 2024, 09:12:32 AMMy theory is that it is plausible that there could be later contacts and over the course of these contacts there are other exchanges leading to offsprings with Andean DNA appearing toward 1200 A.D.  This is where we start noticing them.  But it does not exclude that the two people never met before 1200 A.D.

Yes most likely. How the contact occurred is now a subject for archeologists and historians. There's also been very intriguing finds like 2 skulls discovered in Brazil in 2014 who returned a Polynesian genetic signature.

QuoteUnderstanding the peopling of the Americas remains an important and challenging question. Here, we present 14C dates, and morphological, isotopic and genomic sequence data from two human skulls from the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil, part of one of the indigenous groups known as 'Botocudos'. We find that their genomic ancestry is Polynesian, with no detectable Native American component. Radiocarbon analysis of the skulls shows that the individuals had died prior to the beginning of the 19th century.

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(14)01274-3

It's a weird world out there.