News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from the lovely world of the Games Industry.

Started by Syt, July 22, 2021, 02:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Why the fuck does IGN own a game studio to begin with?

Syt

Slitherine just up and bought Battlefront. :o

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/slitherine-acquires-battlefront-elevating-the-combat-mission-series-to-new-heights

QuoteSlitherine, a leader in the development and publishing of wargames, proudly announces the acquisition of Battlefront, the renowned developers of the Combat Mission series. This strategic move underscores Slitherine's commitment to expanding the wargaming market in a meaningful and sustainable manner while honoring the legacy of a franchise that has captivated thousands of fans worldwide for over two decades.

A Landmark Franchise in Wargaming

Combat Mission is a name synonymous with excellence in tactical wargaming. Since its inception 25 years ago, the franchise has released over 20 products, selling over 1 million copies globally. These figures are a testament to the game's enduring popularity and the community's loyalty. Combat Mission has not only set the standard for realism and tactical depth but has also fostered a dedicated following around the globe.

Bringing Combat Mission to the Next Generation

Slitherine's acquisition of Battlefront signals an exciting new chapter for Combat Mission. With Slitherine's resources and expertise, the franchise is poised to evolve, embracing cutting-edge technology and innovative gameplay mechanics to captivate a new generation of wargamers. This partnership aims to enhance the gaming experience while maintaining the core principles that have made Combat Mission a beloved series.

"We are thrilled to welcome the Battlefront team into the Slitherine family," said Iain McNeil, CEO of Slitherine. "Their expertise and passion for wargaming are unparalleled, and together, we will continue to push the boundaries of what is possible in this genre. Our goal is to not only preserve the legacy of Combat Mission but to elevate it to new heights."

An Essential Tool for Defence Organizations

Combat Mission's impact extends beyond the realm of entertainment. The software is widely used by numerous Defence Organizations around the world as a planning and wargaming tool. Its realistic simulations and detailed scenarios provide invaluable insights for military training and operational planning. This unique application underscores the game's sophistication and its relevance in real-world scenarios.

Continuity and Expansion

All Battlefront staff, including co-founders Stephen Grammont and Charles Moylan, will be fully absorbed within Slitherine. This integration ensures continuity and preserves the invaluable knowledge and experience that the Battlefront team brings. Fans of Combat Mission can rest assured that the franchise is in good hands, with the original creators continuing to play a pivotal role in its development.

"We are excited to join forces with Slitherine," said Stephen Grammont, co-founder of Battlefront. "Their vision for the future of wargaming aligns perfectly with ours, and we are confident that together we can achieve great things. We look forward to bringing new and exciting content to our dedicated fanbase."

Availability and Distribution

Slitherine is committed to maintaining the availability of Combat Mission games through existing channels. All titles will continue to be sold through Matrix Games, Steam, and various other outlets. This ensures that fans can easily access and enjoy their favorite games, and new players can discover the series with ease. If you want to know more about how to redeem and/or get access to your games, please visit the FAQ or the "how to download my Games" sections.

Looking Forward

The acquisition of Battlefront by Slitherine represents a significant milestone in the evolution of wargaming. This partnership is poised to deliver new and exciting experiences for fans of the genre, while expanding the reach and impact of Combat Mission. Together, Slitherine and Battlefront are dedicated to growing the wargaming market in a meaningful and sustainable way, ensuring that this beloved genre continues to thrive for years to come.

Slitherine's strategic acquisition of Battlefront, emphasizing the significance of Combat Mission in the wargaming community and the broader Defence sector. It assures continuity, celebrates the franchise's legacy, and outlines the future vision for the series under Slitherine's stewardship
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

So. Concord. 8 years in development. Big flashy game with quite nice looking guardians of the galaxy style trailers.
But it's a multiplayer arena game so not one for me.
Nor anyone else it seems.
It's been taken offline just weeks after release....

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fps/concord-is-being-taken-offline-this-week-as-sony-looks-to-explore-options-that-will-better-reach-our-players/

Can't help but see this as a key event in the implosion of the AAA sector.
But a move away from this kind of game is tantalising - could it be rockstar* saw the writing on the wall with finally moving away from gto online to give us a proper new game?

*who incidentally after chatting to folk who work in the games industry.... I've heard they're infamous as an especially horrific place to work.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

I think the lesson if that if your strategy is to chase the latest fad, you need to move a lot faster than 8 years development time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Is this the game that got billed as woke by detractors?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I think with Concord it's notable that I wasn't aware of the game until its  failed launch. And even then it was not focus of main discussion on gaming websites. It seems there was almost 0 hype/marketing for it?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2024, 11:11:01 PMI think with Concord it's notable that I wasn't aware of the game until its  failed launch. And even then it was not focus of main discussion on gaming websites. It seems there was almost 0 hype/marketing for it?

I remember a bit of attention a few months ago to a funny GOTG style trailer.
But certainly not what you'd expect of a 8 year development time tent pole game.
I guess I kind of just assumed that its really not a game of a type I usually go for, and my general being out of the loop on such things, I missed it.

Quote from: HVC on September 04, 2024, 10:18:43 PMIs this the game that got billed as woke by detractors?
Hadn't heard this but seems so, amongst others :lol:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/08/28/the-woke-war-why-the-right-believes-its-dominated-gaming-and-tv-in-2024/
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I don't think AAA was the issue. It's the GaaS paid model.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on September 04, 2024, 06:09:52 PMCan't help but see this as a key event in the implosion of the AAA sector.
I don't think so.

Black Myth Wukong is decidedly a AAA game and it's proving quite popular.
The Elden Ring with it's expansions is a AAA game and it's proving quite popular.

Space Marines 2 is certainly AAA.

This game was problematic for other reasons:  apparently, it wasn't looking like a AAA game but carried the price tag.

The next Dragon Age will likely hit a wall too. They have removed so many features from the old games and are trying to convince us that less is better.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2024, 10:47:57 AM
Quote from: Josquius on September 04, 2024, 06:09:52 PMCan't help but see this as a key event in the implosion of the AAA sector.
I don't think so.

Black Myth Wukong is decidedly a AAA game and it's proving quite popular.
The Elden Ring with it's expansions is a AAA game and it's proving quite popular.

Space Marines 2 is certainly AAA.

This game was problematic for other reasons:  apparently, it wasn't looking like a AAA game but carried the price tag.

The next Dragon Age will likely hit a wall too. They have removed so many features from the old games and are trying to convince us that less is better.

The AAA side of the  industry struggling has been reported for a while. Far beyond just this one game.
Mass lay offs and all sorts of mess.

Though I did hear an interesting argument the other day that the risk to potential reward of getting the next fortnite is so great with the big budget games that they will keep doing it, it's the mid tier games that are going to be wiped out. Which is sad as that's usually where you find the best stuff.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Games like Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, etc, they are tough to make.

They require writers, voice actors, nice graphics, a lot of world building, on top of the coding.

This game was not it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2024, 10:47:57 AMThe next Dragon Age will likely hit a wall too. They have removed so many features from the old games and are trying to convince us that less is better.

It worked for he Elder Scrolls.

But what features are they taking away?  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2024, 04:02:36 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2024, 10:47:57 AMThe next Dragon Age will likely hit a wall too. They have removed so many features from the old games and are trying to convince us that less is better.

It worked for he Elder Scrolls.

But what features are they taking away?  :ph34r:
Party of 3 instead of 4, no tactical combat like in the others apparently.  You can't position your characters and chain moves.