News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The litigation against Musk and Rowling may have even more serious consequences for them.  I had wrongly assumed it was a civil suit only.  But a criminal compliant has also been made under France's cyber bullying legislation.

The French prosecutorial office will now get involved.

Valmy

Yeah I am sure they are quaking in fear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2024, 10:41:46 PMYeah I am sure they are quaking in fear.

They may well not understand that life is not worth living if they can never again visit France.

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2024, 11:38:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2024, 10:41:46 PMYeah I am sure they are quaking in fear.

They may well not understand that life is not worth living if they can never again visit France.

17 Zoupa points to cc, just for that nugget of truth.

Jacob

While I do not disagree with CC and Zoupa's main point, there may also be the additional complication that they'll have difficulties visiting countries with which France has extradition treaties.

I believe the US may, but is not required, to extradite its own citizens to foreign countries. I can imagine extraditing Musk from the US would turn into a massive political circus, which may make it unlikely. But if Musk visits somewhere in Europe - say his factory in Germany - he may be subject to extradition.

Not sure what the UK's stance is on extraditions, and to what degree extraditing Rowling could be controversial and how it'd affect the likelihood of it happening. But I expect going most places in the EU could be problematic (Hungary should be ok, though).

Sheilbh

I think in Europe, based on Spain's struggles to extradite the Catalan independence leaders, it all depends on whether there is an equivalent crime on the books. Not sure if there is for cyberbullying - I'm fairly sure there isn't in the UK (there's incitement but that's different).
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2024, 02:35:51 AMI think in Europe, based on Spain's struggles to extradite the Catalan independence leaders, it all depends on whether there is an equivalent crime on the books. Not sure if there is for cyberbullying - I'm fairly sure there isn't in the UK (there's incitement but that's different).

What about this?

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/har/harassment-on-social-media/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

General approach here, which that Met note is clarifying, is what's illegal offline is illegal online.

So harassment is basically stalking and malicious communications is like poison pen letters. A lot would depend on what the French cyberbullying law says, but bullying isn't a crime here and I'm not an expert and I've not followed it closely but I think the stalking/poison pen stuff requires targeting (@ me - or my friends, family etc). Worth adding, my understanding is that victims typically feel pretty unprotected from stalking until it's really bad.

I think it's not criminal but libel would be most likely to work like the Laurence Fox libel case.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2024, 03:21:00 AMGeneral approach here, which that Met note is clarifying, is what's illegal offline is illegal online.

So harassment is basically stalking and malicious communications is like poison pen letters. A lot would depend on what the French cyberbullying law says, but bullying isn't a crime here and I'm not an expert and I've not followed it closely but I think the stalking/poison pen stuff requires targeting (@ me - or my friends, family etc). Worth adding, my understanding is that victims typically feel pretty unprotected from stalking until it's really bad.

I think it's not criminal but libel would be most likely to work like the Laurence Fox libel case.

On the bit in bold, remember if this hypothetical happened it wouldn't be on Met/CPS to investigate, charge and convict. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Last two basketball games by team USA were fantastic fun. The last ride of the greats of the 2010s.

Frankly, I'm not confident in team USA's ability to repeat in 2028.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 15, 2024, 05:29:12 AMLast two basketball games by team USA were fantastic fun. The last ride of the greats of the 2010s.

As someone who doesn't follow basketball at all I was surprised to learn a lot of the teams in the final rounds are mostly made up of players in the NBA.
I was also surprised to see the US actually had the best players- I had thought the general rule was that the US didn't care too much about basketball in the olympics.

But still, America are leagues above being the only country that really cares.
A quick google and I see 22% of the NBA are foreign- which is higher than expected but still a minority.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on August 15, 2024, 12:08:44 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2024, 11:38:33 PM

17 Zoupa points to cc, just for that nugget of truth.

:yeah:

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on August 15, 2024, 05:32:05 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 15, 2024, 05:29:12 AMLast two basketball games by team USA were fantastic fun. The last ride of the greats of the 2010s.

As someone who doesn't follow basketball at all I was surprised to learn a lot of the teams in the final rounds are mostly made up of players in the NBA.
I was also surprised to see the US actually had the best players- I had thought the general rule was that the US didn't care too much about basketball in the olympics.

No. We take basketball in the Olympics very seriously. We have won every Gold Medal but four (and one of those was 1980) in men's basketball and every gold medal but three (and one of those was 1980) in women's basketball. And we have sent our best players every year since 1988.

QuoteBut still, America are leagues above being the only country that really cares.
A quick google and I see 22% of the NBA are foreign- which is higher than expected but still a minority.

No we are not the only country that really cares. Sure Basketball may not be the most popular sport in most countries...but it isn't the most popular sport in America either.

But you know what country Basketball is the most popular sport? China. I hear that is another country besides the United States that exists.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on August 15, 2024, 05:32:05 AM

But still, America are leagues above being the only country that really cares.

Jos,

If you don't know anything about something, it's probably not wise to express an opinion about it.