News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on August 11, 2024, 03:41:51 PMSomeone did just that and it changes very little:

So the True and Real Rankings are

Etats Unis
Chine
Japon (!)
Australie
France
Pays Bas

Grand Bretagne relegated to the dustbin of history.  :console:

Norgy

Usually the DDR was up there with the best. Good to see South Korea making the top ten. It will soften the blow of all those balloons of dung North Korea are sending across the DMZ.

And this closing ceremony was among the worst things I've since Thor Heyerdahl opened the 1994 Winter Olympics.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

They get the RHCP and don't play californication?
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on August 11, 2024, 04:51:07 PMThey get the RHCP and don't play californication?

They did play it. But that second song was very unnecessary.

garbon

Glad California could do it's part to inject some enthusiasm to this dreary, Gallic nonsense. :usa:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Epyx' Summer Games and Winter Games on C64 counted Gold = 5 points, Silver = 3 points, Bronze = 1 point. And I seem to recall that in the 80s that's also how it was counted in German media at least.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2024, 03:48:06 PMHonest question: do Americans refer to silver and bronze medallists as Olympic champions?

They are referred to as Silver and Bronze Medalists. Because that is what they are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2024, 03:37:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2024, 03:26:37 PMHow it is counted wrong? Yes. We do total medals which isn't perfect, but vastly preferable to just pretending this isn't the Olympics but some other event where only first matters.

Dude, that's all of life.

True. There is no silver medal for the Super Bowl Loser.

But the Olympics is different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2024, 10:30:40 PMTrue. There is no silver medal for the Super Bowl Loser.

But the Olympics is different.

Can you name any silver medalist from previous Olympics?

The only one I can name is the US mens' basketball team that lost to the Bulgarian refs.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2024, 10:29:16 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2024, 03:48:06 PMHonest question: do Americans refer to silver and bronze medallists as Olympic champions?

They are referred to as Silver and Bronze Medalists. Because that is what they are.

Good. But do Americans think that the Olympics suggest they are champions, which Americans disagree with?

Quote from: ValmyThe Olympics is entirely organized around the concept that 2nd and 3rd place are also champions, obviously not as prestigious as Gold, but still.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on August 11, 2024, 05:04:08 PM
Quote from: Josquius on August 11, 2024, 04:51:07 PMThey get the RHCP and don't play californication?

They did play it. But that second song was very unnecessary.

Did they?
I remember by the way and can't stop.
Maybe my broadcast cut another?
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on August 12, 2024, 01:03:21 AMDid they?
I remember by the way and can't stop.
Maybe my broadcast cut another?

No, you are correct. I probably willed it to be Californication, too

Grey Fox

The USA has hundreds of medalist in all sorts of sports. Having a majority of them enter the public consciousness is an un realistic expectation.

Canada doesn't. We remember our silver and bronze medalist vividly.

I remember the Quebec based one more. People like Nicolas Gill the first Judo medalist. He won Bronze in 92 and Silver in 2000.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2024, 10:42:40 PMCan you name any silver medalist from previous Olympics?

The only one I can name is the US mens' basketball team that lost to the Bulgarian refs.

I remember when Beth Heiden won a bronze in 1980.
Although it may have something to do with her last name.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson