News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 Paris Olympics megathread

Started by celedhring, July 26, 2024, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Is the opening ceremony another act of sabotage, too?

Syt

I saw that the surfing competitions are being held not in Paris exactly (which makes sense) ... but French Polynesia :lol:

"Fuck those guys, we want them as far from the Games as possible!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2024, 03:19:23 PMI saw that the surfing competitions are being held not in Paris exactly (which makes sense) ... but French Polynesia :lol:

"Fuck those guys, we want them as far from the Games as possible!"

Better waves, darling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

They're in paradise on earth, Tahiti. They are the lucky ones.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Liked the last bit of the ceremony much better. The boat bits were pretty awful imho. Particularly all those small nations with pitiful boats and then the big countries in their large superyachts. Not a good look :D

We don't have an Olympics thread?

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 26, 2024, 04:23:22 PMLiked the last bit of the ceremony much better. The boat bits were pretty awful imho. Particularly all those small nations with pitiful boats and then the big countries in their large superyachts. Not a good look :D

We don't have an Olympics thread?
Although Bhutan's boat was tiny but lovely.

Also the thing I found weirdest were the multi-country boats that looked like Thames Clippers - like Germany, Albania and someone else (who is before Algerie) sharing a boat :huh:

I agree. I'm not sure the opening ceremony on the river really worked too well. It was a bit bitty and disconnected. Some were great (Marie Antoinette) but because it was in different locations it didn't really seem like a show. Until the last hour or so once they got to the Eiffel Tower so it was all in one place - and that section was fantastic (although again on issues with rivers - they're quite long so the ghost rider took a while).

And on the rain - feel very, very sorry for Paris because this is just dreadful luck :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

The Assassin's Creed tribute was cool. But I liked the entire package.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

I think it was impressive. The boat thing was a nice chance of pace from watching everyone walk on.

garbon

I enjoyed it but glad I could watch on TV so it could cut to all the bits.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Didn't spot this at the time, but on countries sharing boats - I can only imagine the Portugal, Qatar and North Korea boat must have been a bit weird :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2024, 05:09:37 PMDidn't spot this at the time, but on countries sharing boats - I can only imagine the Portugal, Qatar and North Korea boat must have been a bit weird :lol:

Unfair for Portugal to be lumped with those two.  :thumbsdown:

The joys of the alphabet P,Q,R (epublic of juche Korea).

Enough to ruin a photo.

Norgy

To be fair, Portugal spawned the one who said he was rubed at the beach  :hug:

Josquius

It's a surprise no country has ever changed its name primarily to switch seats at international events.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Speaking of korea, I heard they mixed up their north and south when introducing south Korea? :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Incidentally for all I wasn't convinced by the first couple of hours jumping down the Seine, the last ten minutes of the Olympic flame and Celine Dion were incredible. Rewatched a lot of times - and particularly given what she's been through with her health, just an amazing performance from Dion.
Let's bomb Russia!