News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Copa América 2024

Started by FunkMonk, June 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 05, 2024, 10:10:53 PMOne of my teams lost on penalties, and the other one won on penalties.

Wrong priorities!  :ultra:
 :P

Barrister

Holy Shit - Canada won on penalties?  Canada advances to the semi-finals of Copa America?  That's crazy.

I wish I had watched the game live - I had a rec hockey game which I played instead.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Love the quebecois  goalie :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2024, 10:36:04 AMLove the quebecois  goalie :D

So look - as an Albertan, I sometimes get really frustrated by Quebeckers politically speaking.

But I play hockey with a French guy from Quebec - and he is so fucking hilarious in how intense he is about it (even though he does kind of know it's only beer league hockey).

My Canada definitely includes Quebec.

HVC

Looking over the highlights without the stress effecting my viewing the copa style is more fun to watch. A frenetic style. Could just be the Canadian games though, since those are the only ones I watched :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2024, 10:46:20 AM

So look - as an Albertan, I sometimes get really frustrated by Quebeckers politically speaking.

But I play hockey with a French guy from Quebec - and he is so fucking hilarious in how intense he is about it (even though he does kind of know it's only beer league hockey).

If you haven't already you should watch Goon :D

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2024, 10:59:21 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2024, 10:46:20 AM

If you haven't already you should watch Goon :D

N-word - please.

Of course I've seen Goon.

You know it was filmed in Winnipeg, right?  And the play-by-play announcer was Jets 1.0 announcer Kurt Kielback?

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 03, 2024, 01:07:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2024, 12:20:43 PMWe can't win at American Football either  :Embarrass:

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/austria-defeats-team-usa-to-become-first-european-nation-to-win-world-juniors-medal/

We now have to call it Austrian Football  :(

You might have to call it Canadian Football. :secret:

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2024/07/01/canada-wins-u20-football-championship/

For the record - this U20 championship was being held in Edmonton, but was played using the inferior 4-down rules.  Apparently the field being set up for 4-down football looked comically small at Commonwealth Stadium, which is set up for 3-down ball.

Austria beat the US in the bronze medal game.  US lost to Japan (?!?) in the semi-finals.

So, I'd never heard of this IFAF organization, so I looked it up.  Their home page is https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1142434/american-football-ifaf-etrainu

Their leading image is

Uhm... that's not IFAF football.  That's Michigan (with OSU players in the background) playing in the Big House.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on July 06, 2024, 11:46:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 03, 2024, 01:07:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2024, 12:20:43 PMWe can't win at American Football either  :Embarrass:

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/austria-defeats-team-usa-to-become-first-european-nation-to-win-world-juniors-medal/

We now have to call it Austrian Football  :(

You might have to call it Canadian Football. :secret:

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2024/07/01/canada-wins-u20-football-championship/

For the record - this U20 championship was being held in Edmonton, but was played using the inferior 4-down rules.  Apparently the field being set up for 4-down football looked comically small at Commonwealth Stadium, which is set up for 3-down ball.

Austria beat the US in the bronze medal game.  US lost to Japan (?!?) in the semi-finals.

So, I'd never heard of this IFAF organization, so I looked it up.  Their home page is https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1142434/american-football-ifaf-etrainu

Their leading image is

Uhm... that's not IFAF football.  That's Michigan (with OSU players in the background) playing in the Big House.

OK.

:huh:

It's an interesting event.  Like I said it was held here in Edmonton.  It got some, but not a lot, of media attention.  I have no idea how the US team was selected, but given how they were blown up by freaking Japan I doubt they scoured the US looking for the best football players.  I don't think anyone in the world seriously questions that the US is the best country in football (not the soccer kind).

p.s. Three downs are better than four downs.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2024, 04:04:33 PMp.s. Three downs are better than four downs.

That explains why 4 million Canadians watched the last Grey Cup and only 19 million watched the Super Bowl.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2024, 10:33:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2024, 04:04:33 PMp.s. Three downs are better than four downs.

That explains why 4 million Canadians watched the last Grey Cup and only 19 million watched the Super Bowl.  :lol:

The commercials :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 07, 2024, 10:35:40 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2024, 10:33:22 AM

The commercials :P

Except we get the same boring commercials for both events

Josephus

Super Bowl is more hyped that's why.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2024, 06:31:55 AMSuper Bowl is more hyped that's why.

It is hyped more, but that it also because it is more popular.  The CFL is mainly popular in the prairie provinces.  And problematic for the CFL, mainly among older men.

The NFL is more popular in our most populous provinces and amongst younger viewers.

So it's not surprising much larger numbers watch the Superbowl.