News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EURO 2024

Started by Duque de Bragança, May 16, 2024, 05:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2024, 10:27:27 AMTurns out the sport really is properly called soccer.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C86w-e-o31N/?igsh=MjJzbW5zYmNkNmQx

No.
The original name was always football. But then that covered a myriad games including stuff more like your codes.

It is known(ish. A lot of ignorant people) that soccer is a word invented by public school poshos who were more into rugby.
I used to have a PE teacher who was a rugby guy and always called football soccer.
Though these days that has largely dropped out of fashion, I don't think you get anyone under 70 who considers rugby the true football.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

It didn't say it was the original name, I said proper name.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2024, 06:18:57 PMIt didn't say it was the original name, I said proper name.
I don't know how you get to that.
Its proper name is Association Football.
Soccer is a nickname used by old school toffs, yanks, and yank-adjacents.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on July 03, 2024, 11:13:12 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2024, 10:27:27 AMTurns out the sport really is properly called soccer.

No.
The original name was always football. But then that covered a myriad games including stuff more like your codes.

It is known(ish. A lot of ignorant people) that soccer is a word invented by public school poshos who were more into rugby.
I used to have a PE teacher who was a rugby guy and always called football soccer.
Though these days that has largely dropped out of fashion, I don't think you get anyone under 70 who considers rugby the true football.

It's like people calling rugby (union or league) rugger.  :smarty:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on July 04, 2024, 03:11:10 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2024, 06:18:57 PMIt didn't say it was the original name, I said proper name.
I don't know how you get to that.
Its proper name is Association Football.
Soccer is a nickname used by old school toffs, yanks, and yank-adjacents.

You are in full class warfare mode so missed why I used of the word "properly" in the context of the how the word soccer was created.

Take a breathe and think about it again.

Josquius

It still doesn't make sense. What is use of proper you're using?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on July 04, 2024, 07:30:47 AMIt still doesn't make sense. What is use of proper you're using?

You correctly point out that the word came from an upper class origin, if you also consider who adds the annoying affectation of an er sound to words, and you think about the group that insists on "proper" conduct you might see it.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

You are much like BB, you view everything through a very literal personal lens.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2024, 10:13:25 AMYou are much like BB, you view everything through a very literal personal lens.

The proper name of football is football, because that's what it is. If you don't think so you are wrong. End of story.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2024, 10:28:44 AMThe proper name of football is football, because that's what it is. If you don't think so you are wrong. End of story.

Hungary needs more Traditionalists to come back home  :P

HVC

Ouch. Old Germany coming back,  :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Late 1800s Oxford fads in slang do not define what is "proper" today. Evidence dismissed.

Threviel

The world is changing, Spain is playing a quick and entertaining game.

This could go any way, but I think Spain is looking better. 60/40 advantage Spain.