News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Copa América 2024

Started by FunkMonk, June 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2024, 09:01:03 PMCanada goes to the knockouts stage on only one group game goal :D . Helped by a red in 2 of three games.

Tribute to France in the EURO?  :frog:  :D

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on June 29, 2024, 09:38:12 PMIs Canada a dirty team? Or is there history with Chile? What was that elbow about?

Canada are just learning how to play "South American"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on June 30, 2024, 06:11:50 AM
Quote from: Jacob on June 29, 2024, 09:38:12 PMIs Canada a dirty team? Or is there history with Chile? What was that elbow about?

Canada are just learning how to play "South American"

Yeah that sounds about right.

FunkMonk

Mexico DUMPED in the groups

After the US gets also dumped tomorrow, Fox's ratings are also going in the dumpster.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 30, 2024, 09:04:13 PMMexico DUMPED in the groups

After the US gets also dumped tomorrow, Fox's ratings are also going in the dumpster.

Sometimes I get the feeling you are rooting against us  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2024, 09:21:21 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 30, 2024, 09:04:13 PMMexico DUMPED in the groups

Sometimes I get the feeling you are rooting against us  :ph34r:

It was over before it even started  :cry:

Josquius

Checking what has happened for the first time- the US couldn't beat Panama :lol:
Though Uruguay are already champions short of losing 6-0 so wouldn't be surprised if they send out their second string and walk through the game. The US may get through.

Surprising to see Canada doing so well.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

For 40 years we constantly oscillate between "pretty ok" to "embarrassing underachievers" without ever seeming to ever do anything. I guess we will always have the 2002 World Cup. That one knock out round win, over Mexico even, will have to sustain us forever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2024, 12:34:21 PMFor 40 years we constantly oscillate between "pretty ok" to "embarrassing underachievers" without ever seeming to ever do anything. I guess we will always have the 2002 World Cup. That one knock out round win, over Mexico even, will have to sustain us forever.

I was in Vegas in 2014 when you tied Portugal and kept them from advancing  to the knock outs. That was annoying.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

A good piece in the Globe comparing the Canadian and American teams.  The take home was Canada realized that this tournament is not about skill but about dishing out as much violence as possible and Canada adapted their game to play the South American style.  Whereas the Americans played like this was a game of skill.

So all is not lost for the Americans.  The World Cup standard of play is not the South American style.

Valmy

The majority of USMNT fans pretty much only care about the World Cup so I guess there is that. We have won the Gold Cup seven times and nobody cares.

And fair enough I guess  :lol:

FunkMonk

One of the narratives for the US team that has cropped up recently is that, while individually the players are more skillful than previous generations of American players, the current generation doesn't have the mentality or competitive edge that the older generations did. The older generations learned and play in an era where no one gave a shit about soccer and they trained on beat up football fields. So while people might expect the newer more skillful players to get better results, in reality they haven't achieved any better than older generations.

Like all narratives it is a great oversimplification but I think there is a kernal of truth in it. I'm not attributing this loss to Uruguay to "ThEy DiDNt TrY hArD EnuFf!!!" But I certainly felt much more attachment to the old American teams who played a more physical, simpler style of soccer.

4-4-fucking-2 and all that  :lol:

HVC

Do a lot of Americans play over seas? Could it be good players who don't play together regularly vs mediocre players who have a lot of experience with each other?