News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Young People and Politics

Started by Jacob, May 29, 2024, 03:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 08, 2024, 01:01:42 PMFrom the US. Never bought the demographics are destiny/right-wingers will just die out point but this is striking (and, I imagine, overwhelmingly driven by young men):

That's just bizare. What happened in the last 2 years to suddenly change this?
██████
██████
██████

chipwich

The tyranny of the trans cult and gay collaboration with the worst of the left.

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on June 08, 2024, 08:58:22 PMThe tyranny of the trans cult and gay collaboration with the worst of the left.

Be nice to trans people. Is that really that tyrannical?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Well the question is about allowing gay and lesbians adults to marry. Maybe people started thinking "hey that's actually an odd question, is gay and lesbian child marriage on the table?".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

chipwich

Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2024, 10:47:18 PM
Quote from: chipwich on June 08, 2024, 08:58:22 PMThe tyranny of the trans cult and gay collaboration with the worst of the left.

Be nice to trans people. Is that really that tyrannical?

The trans movement is not about being nice to trans people and you know that you dirty liar.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/canadian-cancer-society-sorry-for-using-cervix-instead-of-front-hole-for-lgbtq-community

QuoteCancer charity sorry after using 'cervix' for transgender community

The Canadian Cancer Society is apologizing for using the term "cervix" on a web page for transgender and non-binary people assigned female at birth.

Article content
On the page dedicated to cervical cancer screenings for members of the LGBTQ+ community, the charitable organization explains in a disclaimer they "recognize that many trans men and non-binary people may have mixed feelings about or feel distanced from words like 'cervix.'"

The disclaimer was first reported by True North.

The charity acknowledged in a section titled "Words Matter" that some members of the community may prefer to use other terms such as "front hole."

"We recognize the limitations of the words we've used while also acknowledging the need for simplicity," the Canadian Cancer Society wrote. "Another reason we use words like 'cervix' is to normalize the reality that men can have these body parts too."

Article content
Reaction to the disclaimer was swift on social media.

"If you can't call body parts by their actual names, you really don't deserve to have any role in health and medicine," wrote Dr. Kim Greene-Liebowitz, who is based in New York, on X.

"This is pathetic, shameful, and disrespectful."

Another complained about the financial resources used by charities for this type of content.

"So comforting to know that (Canadian) tax (dollars) are going to non-profit content like this," Cecile Shaw wrote. "Instead of stuff like ... more doctors, cancer treatment and diagnostic imaging machines."

"Bonus hole" is another term popularized by the LGBTQ+ community in recent years to refer to the vagina and cervix.

"I don't know how professional people manage to get so far in life and be so disgustingly unaware of their own stupidity," another person shared to social media. "Cervix is the proper name."

Josquius

QuoteThe trans movement is not about being nice to trans people and you know that you dirty liar.

Yes it is?
That's almost a funny story. But that rightists see shit like this as not only newsworthy but over powering any actual problems in the world is painful.

Quote from: The Brain on June 09, 2024, 12:06:49 AMWell the question is about allowing gay and lesbians adults to marry. Maybe people started thinking "hey that's actually an odd question, is gay and lesbian child marriage on the table?".

It's true that is an odd question. Surely gay people have been getting married for centuries. Just... Not to each other.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I am sorry but having to use the words front hole instead of cervix is ridiculous and for a charity like that having to apologise IS an indication how zealots are trying to take over.

And, not that it makes opponents any less wrong, but I think there is something to chipwhich's point. Like it or not but the culture war of the last few years has made transgender so-called issues like pronouns and other "gender is relative but also there are strict unwritten rules by which you can present to be one or the other or several at once" things, the "face" of sexual minorities.

The stronger societal pushback against such things (which is understandable because it in a way tries to redefine everyone's identity, something accepting homodexuals didn't require) may be giving intolerant people the public "backing" to be "brave" and voice their opposition to gay marriage.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2024, 02:29:41 AMI am sorry but having to use the words front hole instead of cervix is ridiculous and for a charity like that having to apologise IS an indication how zealots are trying to take over.

And, not that it makes opponents any less wrong, but I think there is something to chipwhich's point. Like it or not but the culture war of the last few years has made transgender so-called issues like pronouns and other "gender is relative but also there are strict unwritten rules by which you can present to be one or the other or several at once" things, the "face" of sexual minorities.

The stronger societal pushback against such things (which is understandable because it in a way tries to redefine everyone's identity, something accepting homodexuals didn't require) may be giving intolerant people the public "backing" to be "brave" and voice their opposition to gay marriage.

But you just fell into a right wing trap. Look up 'front hole' and 'cervix' and see what outlets have reported this 'apology'. It's MSN, Toronto Sun and then some right wing blog sources.

Meanwhile what the charity actually said is on a fact sheet for non-binary people and they say:

QuoteWords matter
We recognize that many trans men and non-binary people may have mixed feelings about or feel distanced from words like "cervix." You may prefer other words, such as "front hole." We recognize the limitations of the words we've used while also acknowledging the need for simplicity. Another reason we use words like "cervix" is to normalize the reality that men can have these body parts too.

Nothing is an apology, just an inclusive explanation of their language.

edit: Here's the page if you want to check it out yourself. https://cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/find-cancer-early/screening-in-lgbtq-communities/trans-man-or-nonbinary-person-assigned-female-at-birth-do-i-need-cervical-cancer-screening#main-content
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

And it is a fave tactic of the right to whip a frenzy out of nothing.

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/07/11/vagina-bonus-hole-charity/

QuoteNo, a cancer charity isn't telling medical professionals to rebrand all vaginas as bonus holes

A cancer charity has clarified that its guidance on using language such as "bonus hole" to refer to a vagina isn't intended to replace the term.

Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust, which aims to "prevent as many cervical cancers as possible", takes an inclusive approach to looking after its patients, who include women, trans men and non-binary people.

Over the weekend the Daily Mail reported on a glossary on the trust's website which details language that can be used when supporting trans men and non-binary people. The list, created in partnership with the LGBTQ Foundation, included the terms bonus hole and front hole –  both alternative words for the vagina used by some trans people.

The Daily Mail quoted the LGB Alliance's Bev Jackson as saying such language "intentionally dehumanises women". After similar coverage in The Times, The Telegraph and on GB News, gender-critical social media joined in with complaints.

However, Jo's Cervical Trust has made clear that its guidance was always specific to trans men and non-binary people.

A charity spokesperson told PinkNews: "The page is not promoting the use of these phrases with all women, it is a list of phrases that nurses may hear some patients prefer."

The glossary makes clear to medical professionals that they should "check which words someone would prefer to use".

Despite this, the Daily Mail included commentary from anti-trans campaigners Kelly-Jay Keen, who called it "an erasure of female language", and from Conservatives for Women founder, Caroline Ffiske, who called the glossary "dehumanising" and accused it of "grooming".

A spokesperson for Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust told PinkNews: "The information being shared is from a webpage written for health professionals to support trans men and / or non-binary patients with a cervix to attend cervical screening."

They added: "Women are our main audience at Jo's, however some trans men and / or non-binary people have cervixes and to reduce as many cervical cancers as possible it is important that we also provide information for this group and the health professionals who support them." 

Jo's Cervical Trust has previously faced backlash for its inclusion of trans people, and has found itself in the crossfires of gender-critical voices who claim that only women have cervixes, despite the existence of trans men and non-binary people.

The question of who can have a cervix is regularly lobbed at politicians. Labour MP Emily Thornberry recently shot down the question on Twitter, saying: "My cousin is a trans man. I presume he has a cervix. I haven't asked – it's none of my business."

All people with cervixes over the age of 25 should attend screenings, but government figures released in 2022 found that only 58 per cent of eligible trans men and non-binary people had been screened. Just over half (53 per cent) said they felt they had sufficient information about cervical screening.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I recall a similar story in Brighton a few years ago.
Their NHS trust released some advice for language in dealing with trans people. Instead of women the advised term with trans guys was people who menstrate.
Really pretty fair enough. Especially considering this is Brighton.

But jeez did the culture warriors masturbate themselves into oblivion over it. Screaming the nhs had declared you weren't allowed to say woman anymore and you'd go to jail for using that word.
It stretched far beyond the minor bit of advice for medical staff dealing with trans patients in an area crowded with lgbt people and was eaten up by random idiots nationwide as proof of some evil agenda.

The defence there that cervix is the proper word. Jesus. It's like they don't understand the job of the health system at all. Medical staff always simplified language patients can understand and are comfortable with rather than the proper terms.

It's particularly painful as they cry about others supposedly playing language police whilst they're the only ones doing that.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Fair enough, I was duped, but I think my point on the culture war stands. The current frontline for sexual minorities is the very definition of genders and I wouldn't be surprised if the push back against that is giving less tolerant people the perceived carte blanche to admit to opposing gay marriage as well.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2024, 04:38:18 AMFair enough, I was duped, but I think my point on the culture war stands. The current frontline for sexual minorities is the very definition of genders and I wouldn't be surprised if the push back against that is giving less tolerant people the perceived carte blanche to admit to opposing gay marriage as well.

And the prior 'frontline' was 'the very definition of sexualities'. That was a pretty radical shake up, itself.

garbon

I'd also say, Tamas, how you got duped shows the insidious nature of false information online. It took only a scrap of a misleading article for you to agree zealots were trying to take over.  Now imagine you were a conservative leaning person receiving the same info. Would have just confirmed all your biases and wouldn't have been based on reality.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Jacob on May 29, 2024, 03:19:06 PMI'm curious if folks have thoughts on the possible causes, as well as possible consequences - both long and short term.

You vote for anti-establishment parties when you feel that the establishment doesn't have your interests at heart. As Europe rapidly ages and older voters vote themselves a secure retirement at the cost of the young, they become more radicalized. The tragedy is that young people don't vote, so their taxes will only go up and their living standards down as the old suck them dry.

Josquius

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 09, 2024, 06:30:32 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 29, 2024, 03:19:06 PMI'm curious if folks have thoughts on the possible causes, as well as possible consequences - both long and short term.

You vote for anti-establishment parties when you feel that the establishment doesn't have your interests at heart. As Europe rapidly ages and older voters vote themselves a secure retirement at the cost of the young, they become more radicalized. The tragedy is that young people don't vote, so their taxes will only go up and their living standards down as the old suck them dry.

And they lash out at the establishment by voting for parties that are even more establishment than mainstream conservatives could ever dare to be these days.
██████
██████
██████