2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on January 26, 2024, 08:59:56 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 26, 2024, 08:49:23 AMI was told off on this forum for raising his age as an issue.

To be fair, it's been quite the week for senior moments.  Trump here confuses Nikki Haley and Nancy Pelosi:

[youtube]uRkaiRt_q

(And then, when commenting on this, Nancy Pelosi confused Trump with Biden.)  Trump has long suffered from "Irish Alzheimer's" where one forgets everything except his grudges.  It's getting worse now and his grudges are all starting to run together.

Thinking about it though, surely its worse with Biden, even though he's actually in better shape than Trump.
Biden's whole thing is being a competent sensible politician who isn't going to start WW3 because someone said something mean about him on Twitter.
Trump... the inconsistent chaos and random nonsensical insults is part of the whole appeal to his cultists. Dementia is easily masked by this.
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tamas on January 26, 2024, 09:02:56 AMIf there was ever a chance for a third party candidate to grab the Presidency, it's now. What a shitshow this is going to be.

Unfortunately all the third party candidates say even crazier things, and they don't have the excuse of being old.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on January 26, 2024, 08:49:23 AMI was told off on this forum for raising his age as an issue.

Really?  By whom?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Johnny Marr blasts Donald Trump for playing the Smiths song at rally

Sadly it wasn't "Some Girls are Bigger than Others."  I wouldn't expect there's a lot of overlap between The Smith's fans and the camp of the MAGA; so probably not a lot of people there realized this was a band who sings songs like "Meat is Murder."  Further I realize Morrissey has gone way off to the right in the past few years; but still Trump presents himself as an uber-macho sexual Tyrannosaurus of an alpha male, "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" seems a little off brand. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

:lol:

Having said that there is something a little Trumpy about Morrissey :ph34r:

His rally playlist is extraordinary - a few journalists have written about it as it is a playlist taken from rally to rally. The Smiths have been regulars for a year or so. YMCA and  Tiny Dancer are always played, as, I believe, is Phantom of the Opera.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on January 26, 2024, 01:08:34 PMJohnny Marr blasts Donald Trump for playing the Smiths song at rally

Sadly it wasn't "Some Girls are Bigger than Others."  I wouldn't expect there's a lot of overlap between The Smith's fans and the camp of the MAGA; so probably not a lot of people there realized this was a band who sings songs like "Meat is Murder."  Further I realize Morrissey has gone way off to the right in the past few years; but still Trump presents himself as an uber-macho sexual Tyrannosaurus of an alpha male, "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" seems a little off brand. 

As noted Trump has very interesting taste in music.  And politicians in general tend to not pay attention to lyrics - how many politicians have used "Born in the USA" when the lyrics themselves are hardly very patriotic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2024, 01:54:16 PMAs noted Trump has very interesting taste in music.  And politicians in general tend to not pay attention to lyrics - how many politicians have used "Born in the USA" when the lyrics themselves are hardly very patriotic.

Yeah, it's like Gil Gadot and other celebrities singing "Imagine" from their spacious mansions during the depths of the covid quarantine.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on January 26, 2024, 09:02:56 AMIf there was ever a chance for a third party candidate to grab the Presidency, it's now. What a shitshow this is going to be.

Our third parties offer absolutely nothing of substance. That has long been a problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

I'm trying to picture how Tiny Dancer fits in a political rally  :hmm:

Syt

I assume they reserve "Private Dancer" for small circle meetings with lobbyists and representatives of Super PACs. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Boo!  Competency?  Boo!   :lol:

Great potential slogans there.
Libertarianism: It's not about ideology, it's about incompetence
The Libertarian Party: The Last Refuge of the Incompetent (thanks IA)
00Libertarian: Unlicensed to kill
Live Free and Die
It's Mourning Again in America's Highways
A Chicken in Every Pot and a Wrecked Car in Every Garage
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Sheilbh

I love that literally everyone in the clip, including the audience, is a Simpsons character.
Let's bomb Russia!