News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

So the Mandalorian is basically Lone Wolf & Cub in the Star Wars universe, it seems. Pretty decent, though.

Crazy_Ivan80

About half way through Andor now. So far so good. A labour of love.

Syt

So, Bad Batch Season 2.

It was all right. It's certainly weird going back to pure action adventure after Andor. Though it's also a nice change of pace after the constant tension and character hardships of that show. :D

Setup was very much the setup for a D&D session. "There's treasure in the old castle, and you have to rush before it's all gone!" Some interesting action set pieces, plus a big callback to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and a good way to settle back in with the characters, but no huge new developments. Final scene of the second episode went a fair bit darker than I expected, though. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Just caught up with it. It was fine I guess, if a bit unsubstantial.

Also, Filoni should make his mind up whether Dooku is a fallen idealist or corrupt and power hungry  :P 

Syt

He became the very thing he swore to destroy :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on January 10, 2023, 09:06:07 AMAlso, Filoni should make his mind up whether Dooku is a fallen idealist or corrupt and power hungry  :P 
Why can't he be both? :)
A fallen idealist who is corrupt and power hungry to achieve his objectives in a ruthless world were evil will certainly triumph.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Hey, this was actually a quite good episode. Very dark (in a good way), with Cody finding itself trapped as a moral individual still loyal to an evil organization. The action was also much better and even brutal for an animated show.  Flamethrowers, CCQ combat, etc... Using droids as enemies always allowed Clone Wars to be far more brutal than it could if the enemies were humanoids.

Might be my favorite episode of the show so far, even.

Syt

A commenter said that the fight droids/clones was a quite deliberate callback (and yeah, the action was fun). During the engagement, Cody was still in his element, doing what is familiar. It's when faced with a person that he changes gears and realizes how different things are now.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2023, 03:21:43 AMHey, this was actually a quite good episode. Very dark (in a good way), with Cody finding itself trapped as a moral individual still loyal to an evil organization. The action was also much better and even brutal for an animated show.  Flamethrowers, CCQ combat, etc... Using droids as enemies always allowed Clone Wars to be far more brutal than it could if the enemies were humanoids.

Might be my favorite episode of the show so far, even.

That was a really good episode, I have to say.  I quite enjoyed it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Not going to lie. When I saw the episode description I cringed a bit, because this kind of stuff is such a tired trope in cartoons.

But it turned out to be surprisingly fun. Nice throwback to futuristic combat racing games (and Episode One Racer, obvs) of the 00s (including the pumping soundtrack). :D Also really enjoyed Ben Schwartz and Ernie Hudson in their guest spots. :)

And I laughed far too hard at the announcer introducing Tech. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Seems like they want to go for some kind of falling out between Sid and Clone Force 99.  It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

It was a whatever episode for me - at least they didn't get Omega to race, I'd hated that utterly.  :lol:

The most interesting bit, as viper points out, is that they're telegraphing Cid is going to fuck them over at some point.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2023, 08:54:45 AMIt was a whatever episode for me - at least they didn't get Omega to race, I'd hated that utterly.  :lol:

The most interesting bit, as viper points out, is that they're telegraphing Cid is going to fuck them over at some point.

I mean it was an homage to pod racing - and it felt just as forced as it did in Phantom Menace.

Cid has always been a dubious character, so any screw job won't be that much of a swerve.  But yeah that's what they're hinting at.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2023, 08:54:45 AMIt was a whatever episode for me - at least they didn't get Omega to race, I'd hated that utterly.  :lol:

Telegraphing?  They are hitting us with a cudgel.  This episode had no purpose - why go to the race?  Why make the bet?  Why follow a stupid plot line from episode 1 - you need to win a race to gain freedom, really?  All just to show some dialogue with someone from her past to show she is untrustworthy.  Well, we already knew that. 

This episode was terrible, if it had been amongst the first, I would have stopped watching.  I hope it is a momentary dip and not a trend.

celedhring

Probably needed to explain myself better. That Cid is shady is no surprise, what I mean is that the writers are hinting that it will be one of the arcs of the season. That is good imho because the whole "do odd jobs for Cid" setup is getting stale and needs a shakeup.