News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on November 11, 2022, 01:47:09 PMJust read that the 89 year old Chuck Grassley was re-elected for another six years as US senator. Been in office since 1981 and before that served in Iowas state legislature since 1958.

I think it is absurd to have people that age in any political office. The party internal selection mechanisms do not seem to work well 

The voters keep voting for him...so who is really to blame?

Also...he's got nothing on Strom Thurmond, who I believe was in there at 100.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

It appears the AP has called AZ Senate for Kelly (D).

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2022, 01:52:35 AMIt appears the AP has called AZ Senate for Kelly (D).

Great! Now waiting on Nevada...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Can someone explain how do Democrats get 51 seats in the Senate? Is it because they flipped a seat in Pennsylvania? So they need to keep everything else (Nevada and Georgia) to get 51?

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on November 12, 2022, 02:37:07 AMCan someone explain how do Democrats get 51 seats in the Senate? Is it because they flipped a seat in Pennsylvania? So they need to keep everything else (Nevada and Georgia) to get 51?

They don't need 51. If they get to 50, VP then can play tiebreaker on votes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

I know, that's the same as now. But I'm seeing speculations about 51 seats, so how do they get there?

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on November 12, 2022, 02:37:07 AMCan someone explain how do Democrats get 51 seats in the Senate? Is it because they flipped a seat in Pennsylvania? So they need to keep everything else (Nevada and Georgia) to get 51?

That is correct.  Currently it is 49-49 (including the two that caucus with the Democrats)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2022, 02:35:24 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2022, 01:52:35 AMIt appears the AP has called AZ Senate for Kelly (D).

Great! Now waiting on Nevada...

We don't need to wait on Nevada. Democrats have won there. The vote count is essentially tied and the majority of ballots left are in Clark County. 23k remain to be counted there, and the last batch of 27k to be counted in clark county netted the democrats over 8k votes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 12, 2022, 05:49:47 AMWe don't need to wait on Nevada. Democrats have won there. The vote count is essentially tied and the majority of ballots left are in Clark County. 23k remain to be counted there, and the last batch of 27k to be counted in clark county netted the democrats over 8k votes.

Does that make it 49 or 50?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2022, 07:03:01 AMBiden, as the President of the United States, is the political head of the Democratic Party. His sitting Vice President--any Vice President--is the presumptive successor. That's the way it's always been. 

This only really became true in the post war period. Before that VPs were almost always non-entities.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2022, 06:43:32 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 12, 2022, 05:49:47 AMWe don't need to wait on Nevada. Democrats have won there. The vote count is essentially tied and the majority of ballots left are in Clark County. 23k remain to be counted there, and the last batch of 27k to be counted in clark county netted the democrats over 8k votes.

A win in Nevada would make it 50
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 12, 2022, 08:12:47 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2022, 06:43:32 AM

A win in Nevada would make it 50

Cool

Grey Fox

That's accurate. I would be pretty nice to not have to negotiate with Moscow Joe Manchin.

(They didn't have 51 before. They had 50 + VP tie breaker)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Nevada Senate seat just called for the Dems. They will retain control of the Senate, regardless of what happens in Georgia.

Mitch is sad  :nelson:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.