News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2022, 04:54:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2022, 04:44:09 PMIf Trump wants to, he'll easily be the nominee in 2024 and lose for a third time.

It is a long way off, but I don't think Trump would win against DeSantis. If they went toe to toe in the primary, my guess is that would be extremely divisive among republicans, but I think DeSantis would come out on top but possibly politically damaged with a lot of the republican base alienated.
I think DeSantis could win in the general.  I am convinced (as I said a little earlier in the thread) there's no way Trump can, so naturally I am hoping Trump declares his candidacy next week, coasts to the nomination, and then gets his ass kicked in the general.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2022, 05:19:14 PMNo way.

DeSantis would get the same treatment as Rubio, Cruz and Jeb!.  Trump will denigrate and belittle DeSantis, while DeSantis would be too afraid to lay a hand on Trump because DeSantis needs his supporters.  Trump will walk through with enough votes and enthusiasm to win the nomination.

Unless Trump decides not to run.  I mean the man is 76 years old, will be 78 by election day 2024.

Since I exclusively consume printed news I basically never hear anyone speak. For some reason youtube recently recommended me a video with desantis speaking and i watched...i thought for the first 20 seconds that someone was trying to be funny and putting trump's voice over desantis speaking...I think desantis and trump have the same punchy style and desantis will be able to hit back.

I don't think desantis would run for president under an impression he could go up against trump and win without saying anything bad about him. You'd have to be a really dumb consultant to think that would work.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2022, 05:34:41 PMSince I exclusively consume printed news I basically never hear anyone speak. For some reason youtube recently recommended me a video with desantis speaking and i watched...i thought for the first 20 seconds that someone was trying to be funny and putting trump's voice over desantis speaking...I think desantis and trump have the same punchy style and desantis will be able to hit back.

I don't think desantis would run for president under an impression he could go up against trump and win without saying anything bad about him. You'd have to be a really dumb consultant to think that would work.

How do you go after Trump though?  Call him out for being a liar?  A swindler?  For trying to steal the election?

His supporters will HATE DeSantis for this.  Just ask Liz Cheney.

DeSantis would have to try and thread a needle of "Trump's great, but his time is over".  Not sure it can be done.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2022, 05:05:38 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 09, 2022, 03:00:52 PMWoa, woa. Are you claiming this is an actual DeSantis ad, and not a parody?

OMG and you guys thought Trump was bad, wait until this guy is your President.  :lol:

He is a big fan of Viktor Orban. So that's comforting.

That DeSantis ad is just chilling.

Max mentioned what I was going to ask - is DeSantis the non-dumb version of Trump? As I was saying earlier, I thought the US got lucky with Trump in a lot of ways. The same far-right tide that enabled Orban (and solidified Putin I'd think) and handed the UK to a bunch of rich retards, rose up Trump.

Could have been far worse if he actually knew how to use the power his charisma gave him.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on November 09, 2022, 05:40:58 PMThat DeSantis ad is just chilling.

Max mentioned what I was going to ask - is DeSantis the non-dumb version of Trump? As I was saying earlier, I thought the US got lucky with Trump in a lot of ways. The same far-right tide that enabled Orban (and solidified Putin I'd think) and handed the UK to a bunch of rich retards, rose up Trump.

Could have been far worse if he actually knew how to use the power his charisma gave him.

DeSantis is like the non-dumb, non-charismatic version of Trump.

Barrister

Trump just posted the following to Truth Social:

QuoteNow that the Election in Florida is over, and everything went quite well, shouldn't it be said that in 2020, I got 1.1 Million more votes in Florida than Ron D got this year, 5.7 Million to 4.6 Million? Just asking?

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/109315822774097761

And the thing is, his fans seem to eat this shit up, instead of seeing it as being all pathetic and needy.

Tamas

DeSantis will just need to be more vile and evil against immigrants and other vulnerable groups and Trump's followers will switch to him especially if he will be seen as gaining momentum.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2022, 05:38:14 PMHow do you go after Trump though?  Call him out for being a liar?  A swindler?  For trying to steal the election?

His supporters will HATE DeSantis for this.  Just ask Liz Cheney.

DeSantis would have to try and thread a needle of "Trump's great, but his time is over".  Not sure it can be done.

I'm not great at this stuff, I'm an accountant posting on the internet.

Say he is a loser. He picks loser candidates, he lost reelection. He was a loser as president because while Trump was giving press conferences with the most awful man in history (to a republican primary audience), Dr. Fauci, he was opening the state of florida. Trump was weak for not firing Dr. Fauci. A weak loser.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2022, 05:56:28 PMI'm not great at this stuff, I'm an accountant posting on the internet.

Say he is a loser. He picks loser candidates, he lost reelection. He was a loser as president because while Trump was giving press conferences with the most awful man in history (to a republican primary audience), Dr. Fauci, he was opening the state of florida. Trump was weak for not firing Dr. Fauci. A weak loser.

I'll give you the Covid stuff.

But you can't call him a loser.  MAGA-heads think he won in 2020.  The election was stolen, remember?  And by calling Trump a loser, you're calling MAGA-heads losers.

Tamas might be on to something by just being even more evil than Trump, but I don't see much of an opening there either.  It's not like DeSantis will come up with some line or policy that would be too evil for Trump.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2022, 06:07:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2022, 05:56:28 PMI'm not great at this stuff, I'm an accountant posting on the internet.

I'll give you the Covid stuff.

But you can't call him a loser.  MAGA-heads think he won in 2020.  The election was stolen, remember?  And by calling Trump a loser, you're calling MAGA-heads losers.

Tamas might be on to something by just being even more evil than Trump, but I don't see much of an opening there either.  It's not like DeSantis will come up with some line or policy that would be too evil for Trump.

Another angle is age. The base will love hammering biden for infirmity and/or dementia. Finish those lines off with "you know I see some of that now in Trump too. he has lost a step or two or a dozen."

I not only think DeSantis can do this, he is giving every indication he is going to run, and if he does I don't think he is going to let trump attack him (which trump is already doing) and not punch back. My hunch is that if this plays out as DeSantis vs. Trump, DeSantis wins but it tears the party apart, Trump takes it very badly, and DeSantis is deeply wounded in the general election.

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on November 09, 2022, 04:43:33 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 09, 2022, 03:00:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2022, 02:01:16 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2022, 01:50:18 PMTrump needs to workshop that DeSanctis nickname, "Desanctimonious" is far too laboured.

I like it.

You have to check out this ad he released, which literally says he was sent by God to be a "fighter" for the people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9oTBA-MvZk

You can tell though that Trump himself didn't come up with DeSanctimonius though.

Woa, woa. Are you claiming this is an actual DeSantis ad, and not a parody?

OMG and you guys thought Trump was bad, wait until this guy is your President.  :lol:

The US is not a serious country anymore. Half the population is uneducated retards.
But that was always true. Hell, I think its true of everywhere.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

France is not a serious country anymore. Half the population is uneducated retards.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2022, 06:26:07 PMFrance is not a serious country anymore. Half the population is uneducated retards.
It's probably true of all occidental countries now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 09, 2022, 04:38:36 PMThe Russkies have a poor read on America if they think foreign policy moves our politics much, our people are almost criminally indifferent to it.

I didn't see a single survey that listed Ukraine as a priority for voters.

It's either my number 2 or number 3.

Valmy

Ukraine is definitely a huge deal for me. But it wasn't really relevent in any of my elections.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."