News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

And as evidence for how it is a political impossibility, you note previous attempts that involved politically contentious amendments. It goes almost without saying, unless you are beyond daft, that one would not abolish the monarchy without broad support for it, and with said support it would not be a contentious amendment.

It'd be silly if your world was the real one, because you're suggesting if the UK itself abolished the monarchy, Canada would still maintain the current family (who would still be non-resident aliens) as their royals? I highly doubt that is how it would go down.

It's almost as stupid as an American saying it is impossible to amend the constitution, and then pointing to all the times we haven't. But the point is, there have been times when there was broad, almost universal consensus, and amending has been easy. See: 18 year old voting age, and Presidential succession. Procedurally as Barrister laid out, it is in fact easier to amend the Canadian constitution than the American. Amending the U.S. Constitution, if the 12 smallest states decided to veto it, they could--and they in total represent around 4% of the U.S. population.

Again, you seem to think Canada is special in that it is procedurally non-trivial to amend its constitution, in a conversation with an American--the country with the hardest to amend constitution in the Western world. Your point might have some relevance if you were clarifying it to a Brit, a people who amend theirs with simple majority votes.

crazy canuck

Ok, you keep missing the point. So I will bow out as gracefully as possible. 

If you are interested, please read up a little more about our constitutional history before making more ill informed broad statements.  You can start with reading about what happened with the Meech Lake Accord.  You can round out your education by reading about the continuing fall out related to the last time our constitution was successfully amended.

viper37

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 12, 2022, 01:36:27 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2022, 01:14:06 PMAs such, it is still a powerful symbol of colonialism for all the conquered people of this country, and a powerful reminder of whom this country was built for.  It's a shame really, that so many people would call themselves "progressives" and support such institutions.  They're more attached to inclusive writing, gender neutral speak and forced diversity than anything really meaningful.

Hear hear! Death to monarchy!

That being said my guess as to how it is has remained in the non-UK countries so long is entirely because the vast majority of voters don't spend a lot of time caring about things that do not affect their daily lives.
You say things like this, and yet your people don't elect Justin Trudeau and his wokes or have NYC mayor talk about non ceded territory bullshit...  Ah well.

One day, I will die and rest in peace, go to land far away from all this nonsense.  Or Pierre Poilièvre will be my Prime Minister and wage a not so civil war on wokism just like he promised. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2022, 01:36:09 PMElijah Harper was a racist?  Say what now?

He voted against the Lake Meech accord out of spite against French speakers for some reasons that still elude us today.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I gotta admit, I have just fallen in love with Howard Stern. ;)

QuoteInstead of sharing condolences like so many others have, Stern questioned why news from across the pond was being reported in the American news cycle, before clarifying that he understood why Her Majesty's death resonated with many. "I mean, it's America," he shared. "We don't have a queen. I get it. You know, queen was a nice lady, I guess she was born, you know, my whole life, the queen has been the same queen and there's a tradition there and she did her duty to her country."

In his segment on Monday, Stern argued that more focus should be placed on the Department of Justice's investigation into former president Donald Trump's mishandling of classified files. "But we gotta get back to Trump and where those papers are that they found that Mar-A-Lago,"
:wub:

Had I know it would be that bad, even on French news networks&papers, I would have hung myself years ago, dammit.  Americans, I already knew they would disapoint me :(
What was the point of that whole rebellion thing again? :P

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 11, 2022, 08:12:18 PMPledging to the flag is also a purely puff behavior, it is not tied to any oath of office or etc at the Federal level or any State level office AFAIK.

Had a really cool salute when it was originally introduced (as an ad for selling more flags):
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Man, Nazis ruin everything.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Gups

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2022, 10:08:45 AMThe British either want monarchy or they do not want monarchy.  There is no "in between".  :)

Not really true. I don't want a monarchy and if a republic could be instituted reasonably easily I'd support abolition. But the reality is that it would suck up so much Parliamentary time and create such horrendous divisions that we would do nothing else politically for half a decade.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on September 13, 2022, 04:09:22 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2022, 10:08:45 AMThe British either want monarchy or they do not want monarchy.  There is no "in between".  :)

Not really true. I don't want a monarchy and if a republic could be instituted reasonably easily I'd support abolition. But the reality is that it would suck up so much Parliamentary time and create such horrendous divisions that we would do nothing else politically for half a decade.

Same.
If the monarchy didn't exist I wouldn't want it implemented and ideologically I can see its wrong.
But there's no data to support getting rid of it. All signs suggest it'd be a massive faff for zero practical gain beyond a bit of "hurray we owned the conservatives" feels.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Not sure if this is the full list, but of countries the UK has diplomatic relationships with, Russia, Belarus and Myanmar are not invited to the state funeral in any capacity.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 13, 2022, 07:06:59 AMNot sure if this is the full list, but of countries the UK has diplomatic relationships with, Russia, Belarus and Myanmar are not invited to the state funeral in any capacity.

But what's the betting Trump all turn up anyway.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Amazing - feels like a particularly extreme example of the status quo effect in public opinion:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 13, 2022, 07:30:49 AMAmazing - feels like a particularly extreme example of the status quo effect in public opinion:

Somebody on Twitter made a compilation of all the journos and public figures that used to say that Charles would be a bad king and he should step aside who now made a full turn and say that he's the best possible king by far. It's quite the read.

The Larch

Btw, David Squires' latest comic (https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/sep/13/david-squires-on-football-response-to-the-queen-death) on how football has reacted to the Queen's death is great. The "Wokefinder General" joke is particulary inspired.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 12, 2022, 05:10:14 PMOk, you keep missing the point. So I will bow out as gracefully as possible. 

If you are interested, please read up a little more about our constitutional history before making more ill informed broad statements.  You can start with reading about what happened with the Meech Lake Accord.  You can round out your education by reading about the continuing fall out related to the last time our constitution was successfully amended.

And I would simply counter you have only been a real country for a few decades. I'm speaking from the position of a country that has been doing this a lot longer than you and understands that conditions change. For a country that has only truly been independent since 1982, I understand that lots of things seem impossible to you.