Previous topic - Next topic

How many Republics has America had?

Only one! USA!  USA!  USA!
1 (7.1%)
This is the second republic.
5 (35.7%)
This is the third republic.
4 (28.6%)
This is the fourth or higher republic for some reason.
1 (7.1%)
This is a stupid poll.
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Razgovory

The current government of France is called the 5th republic but I've never heard a number attached to the American republic.  This is weird since the US has had two, arguably three republics.  The first is the continental congress.  I don't count this one because it was more of a alliance of colonies.  Still other people may count that as a republic and be wrong in their opinion.  Second possible republic was under the Articles of Confederation.  That Republic didn't last long and was replaced by current one.  Perhaps we are on the fourth republic and some clever tall-poppy will explain why I'm a fucking idiot.  There is also one last choice for people who want to say I'm a fucking idiot but don't want to put a lot of effort into explaining why.  I'm a stickler for choice.

Raz say: 2nd Republic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

The 18th century people had a very specific definition of a Republic, which was different from a Confederation or a Democracy for some reason. So that is why it was not considered the sequel to what came before.

So it feels weird to go back and retroactively consider them in such a way. :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

The US had no republics until July 4, 1776, then thirteen, then one after June 21, 1788.  E Pluribus Unum.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Austria is on its second. It's not mentioned much, except in phrases like "for the first time during the Second Republic" or "in the history of the Second Republic" - which is mainly a different way of saying "since 1945".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Salazar's and Caetano's régime is sometimes counted as the Second Portuguese Republic, so it's Third Republic in Portugal now.
It's still debated.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 05, 2022, 07:22:17 AMSalazar's and Caetano's régime is sometimes counted as the Second Portuguese Republic, so it's Third Republic in Portugal now.
It's still debated.

Completely different in Spain, in which Francoism definitely doesn't count as a Republican period, even if there was no king officially. In fact Francoism is sometimes defined as a monarchy without a king. Over here we're at two republics, but each one took place in very different contexts and separated by plenty of time.

Regarding the French case, I always have a bit of a difficulty in wrapping my head around how the change from the Fourth to the Fifth republics didn't have to do with a breach in continuity but in a constitutional change in the system of government, turning France into the Presidential Republic it is nowadays. I don't think I would have changed the numbering, given that it was internal evolution of the political system.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2022, 07:52:02 AMCompletely different in Spain, in which Francoism definitely doesn't count as a Republican period, even if there was no king officially. In fact Francoism is sometimes defined as a monarchy without a king.

Yeah, officially Francoist Spain was a kingdom. I think it's noteworthy that according to the "constitution", any non-royal successor to Franco would have been styled Regent.

Josquius

Does any other country do the French thing of new constitution means new Republic?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on April 05, 2022, 08:59:10 AMDoes any other country do the French thing of new constitution means new Republic?
I think Italy does but there it's not because of a new constitution. I think the divide between the first and second republics is tagentopoli and the collapse of the old Cold War politics and party system. It's less a dramatic constitutional shift and more a dramatic political shift.

On that sort of number America's probably on about its fifth republic :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Switch to a very presidential régime instead of a very parliamentarian régime, as you said the Presidential republic, is enough IMO.
Differences between the Third and Fourth would be more interesting but are seldom evoked.

Back to Salazar, it was officially the Estado Novo not a Republic de jure but he kept the Republican flag.

Malthus

I dunno if it the same thing, but there are supposedly six different "party systems" that US political eras have been divided up into:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_system#United_States

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

1. Articles of Confederation.
2. Constitution, pre-1865 variant.
3. Constitution, post-1865 variant.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2022, 09:04:00 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 05, 2022, 08:59:10 AMDoes any other country do the French thing of new constitution means new Republic?
I think Italy does but there it's not because of a new constitution. I think the divide between the first and second republics is tagentopoli and the collapse of the old Cold War politics and party system. It's less a dramatic constitutional shift and more a dramatic political shift.

Italy does sometimes indeed divide the pre and post 1994 political eras as first and second republics, but it's a much more informal thing than the French.

Zanza

Germany certainly considers itself a different republic now than it was between 1919-1933/45. The starting point for this new republic is the 1949 constitution. 

DGuller

I think the Civil War should definitely warrant an increment.  The South was (rightly) coerced to ratify amendments that it would have never ratified voluntarily (probably not even today).  While in theory it may have been a change done within the system, in reality it was a change imposed by the victor of a civil war.