News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Admiral Yi - July 24, 2024, 02:17:23 PM
They seem to have done a great job with moped crime.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - July 24, 2024, 02:04:39 PM
ONS crime stats - I wonder if there's similar in the US.

The old government liked to boast that crime was falling in general, but it feels like these are the crimes people are most likely to experience. So I feel like it's another of those stats v lived experience things. The headline stats are falling but people are feeling something very different.
QuoteAlex Wickham
@alexwickham
Some pretty shocking crime stats just out from the ONS:

- 40% increase in theft from the person year-on-year
- shoplifting at its highest level in 20 years, up 30% year-on-year
- robbery up 8% year-on-year
- computer misuse up 37%, 42% increase in stealing personal information
Home Sec Yvette Cooper says the figures "show the disgraceful dereliction of the last Tory government on law and order"

Many in Labour think this was an underpriced factor in public anger with the Tories at the election

Although, separately, I think even the headline stats are dodgy as they exclude computer crimes (like online fraud, identity theft etc) which maybe made sense 30 years ago but now means the headline crime figures do not include the most common crime people experience. Which doesn't seem great.
Off the Record / Re: Football (Soccer) Thread
Last post by Duque de Bragan├ža - July 24, 2024, 01:59:05 PM
Got some free tickets for olympic Mali-Israel in the Parc des Princes.  :)
Israeli anthem booed a bit. :P
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by HVC - July 24, 2024, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2024, 01:48:55 PMIn the 80s we had a senile old man in the office who couldn't remember he was selling weapons to the Iranians to fund death squads in Nicaragua.

He was also a bad actor in mediocre films. I await Kevin Sorbo's presidential career.

Last post by Valmy - July 24, 2024, 01:48:55 PM
In the 80s we had a senile old man in the office who couldn't remember he was selling weapons to the Iranians to fund death squads in Nicaragua.
Last post by garbon - July 24, 2024, 01:47:06 PM
Quote from: Norgy on July 24, 2024, 01:31:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 10:11:25 AM
Quote from: Norgy on July 24, 2024, 09:58:04 AMSo it is Trump, the felon, and Vance, the fraudster "hillbilly" against Harris, the cat lady with the coconut trees.

This is, well, just surreal. No wonder we older people reminisce about the past.

Rose colored much?

I suppose.
I think I have seen a lot of politicians and parties going down the wrong path in my lifetime. Don't mistake that for me not supporting Harris.

The world needs the US. And it needs a United States not run by Project 2025 and a felon. I think most of us are just as invested in this as you are, garbon.

My political views, well, they are probably suspect to many here. But this is not a political view. It is an existential one. I support Harris. And I really hope she can win. At this point, after watching the RNC clips and reading the speeches, I would support a fucking living doll instead of Trump.

I just meant that for instance in the 90s we were looking at semen on a dress. I'm not sure a time existed when politicians were laudable though certainly Trump has brought us to some low lows.
Off the Record / Re: If you were Kamala Harris,...
Last post by The Minsky Moment - July 24, 2024, 01:46:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2024, 01:14:45 PMI mean Lincoln put a Democrat on his ticket literally during a Civil War and that worked out great. Not one bad thing resulted from that move.

America lost its one shot at having a President Hannibal.
Last post by The Minsky Moment - July 24, 2024, 01:35:22 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2024, 11:14:25 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 10:52:56 AMYou are of course correct in your legal interpretation, but I'm not so sure the US Supreme Court will care about long recognized legal principles like standing.

It's always a concern that the Republican Party Supreme Court feels no compulsion to follow the law and precedent, but
1.  The case would have to work its way up the chain of District, Circuit, and RPSC before the RPSC could make a ruling.  That would take many months.
2. The RPSC isn't in session anyway, and doesn't reconvene until October 7th.  Even if they considered the case and ruled that same day, all that would happen in the worst case is that they would remand the decision on standing back down to the district court.  Then, there would have to be a trial before the verdict could be reached, and the District Court wouldn't even be able to schedule such a trial before the election.

Hypothetically (because so far there is only an FEC complaint on file), the case would be initiated along with a request for emergency injunctive relief demanding to freeze the funds.  That could receive expedited treatment if put before a sympathetic judge. Depending on the outcome a motion seeking an emergency injunctive order can be obtained outside the Supreme Court term by directing it for the Justice responsible for the judicial circuit where the case is pending.

I agree there doesn't seem like there is a viable procedural or substantive basis for such an order, but if a court were inclined to act, it could be done in time to impact the campaign. As of even a year ago, I would have felt safe saying there is 0 chance of that happening.  After the last Supreme Court term, though, I really don't know what to expect anymore.  There is nothing this Court can do anymore that would surprise me.
Last post by Norgy - July 24, 2024, 01:31:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 10:11:25 AM
Quote from: Norgy on July 24, 2024, 09:58:04 AMSo it is Trump, the felon, and Vance, the fraudster "hillbilly" against Harris, the cat lady with the coconut trees.

This is, well, just surreal. No wonder we older people reminisce about the past.

Rose colored much?

I suppose.
I think I have seen a lot of politicians and parties going down the wrong path in my lifetime. Don't mistake that for me not supporting Harris.

The world needs the US. And it needs a United States not run by Project 2025 and a felon. I think most of us are just as invested in this as you are, garbon.

My political views, well, they are probably suspect to many here. But this is not a political view. It is an existential one. I support Harris. And I really hope she can win. At this point, after watching the RNC clips and reading the speeches, I would support a fucking living doll instead of Trump.
Gaming HQ / Re: News from the lovely world...
Last post by viper37 - July 24, 2024, 01:28:54 PM
IGN fired everyone from Humble games, a developer of indie games.

Naturally, it was expected that the studio was shutting down.

Que neni!  False News!

IGN is deeply committed to its studio.  It's just replacing everyone with an outside consulting firm.

Link