And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Solmyr on March 22, 2024, 02:34:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2024, 02:20:11 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2024, 02:16:32 PMRemember the US embassy in Moscow's warning recently?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2024/mar/22/moscow-concert-attack-crocus-city-hall-shooting-russia-live-updates

QuoteThe embassy also said that it is "monitoring reports that extremists have imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow, to include concerts".

Actions that US citizens have been encouraged to take include avoiding large crowds, monitoring local media for updates and being aware of surroundings.

Well there was evidence somebody was about to do something I guess. But what kind of extremists are we talking about?

I'm sure it will be quickly "discovered" that these were Ukrainians and a full mobilization is now justified.

Early signs are some in Russia are very quick to point the finger at Ukrainians and build up a story about it.
It does seem just too perfect for this. :(
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2024, 02:20:11 PMWell there was evidence somebody was about to do something I guess. But what kind of extremists are we talking about?

Probably the FSB itself

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zoupa on March 22, 2024, 03:14:38 PMrussia exports lots of crude but doesn't refine much. Obviously the war requires lots of refined oil. Any strike on their refineries is a plus to the war effort.

That assumes that Russia lacks sufficient stockpiles or the ability to obtain refined oil from elsewhere.  Is there are any support for those propositions? 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zoupa

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2024, 03:32:50 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 22, 2024, 03:14:38 PMrussia exports lots of crude but doesn't refine much. Obviously the war requires lots of refined oil. Any strike on their refineries is a plus to the war effort.

That assumes that Russia lacks sufficient stockpiles or the ability to obtain refined oil from elsewhere.  Is there are any support for those propositions? 

I mean... I can point at the general state of russian military logistics at any time during the last two centuries if you'd like.

DGuller

People living in apartment buildings in Russia might want to consider alternate arrangements for a while, or at least be on the lookout for FSB performing training missions.  When Russians do false flag attacks, they don't just stop at one, they make sure.

Crazy_Ivan80

didn't they forbid exports of refined oil for a bit a while back?

Maladict

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2024, 10:00:37 AMYeah - I fear that's possibly a very generous read (though probably the one Biden's team would make).

It feels a little bit like saying, per a Kyiv analyst I saw, fight an existential war in a way that suits our domestic political needs in an election cycle while we are also not providing you with the means to fight that war in any other way. Which is not great.

I disagree with the implicit assumption that US administration's domestic political needs are not vital to Ukraine's success.  I also disagree with the implicit assumption that the US is not providing aid to Ukraine to fight the war.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Russia is a net exporter of refined oil products.  The Ukrainian attacks have hurt exports, and therefor dollars, but not the war effort (as yet).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 22, 2024, 04:38:40 PM

Last summer they had a temporary major shortage of refined products (including auto fuel, leading to some blowback from the public), but that was due t transportation issue.  I seem to recall that Russia was an exporter of diesel and an importer of petroleum, due to the nature of the crude they produce.

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on March 22, 2024, 05:04:37 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 22, 2024, 04:38:40 PM

Last summer they had a temporary major shortage of refined products (including auto fuel, leading to some blowback from the public), but that was due t transportation issue.  I seem to recall that Russia was an exporter of diesel and an importer of petroleum, due to the nature of the crude they produce.

thx.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2024, 06:38:28 PM
Quote from: Maladict on March 22, 2024, 04:49:22 PMIS has claimed the attack.

IS? But why? Russian shenanigans in Africa?
Syria, more likely.  Assad is growing in power there and it's not yet over between him and ISIS.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

[link=msg=1436663 date=1711150708]
Quote from: Maladict on March 22, 2024, 04:49:22 PMIS has claimed the attack.
Odd to say but that's a relief. Wouldn't have put it past them to just let the shit fly and Ukraine get the blame - especially with the links to Palestine/Israel.

Though my money was maybe partially on a false flag.

IS I believe has some aligned groups in the Caucasus pushing for independence. One of those my enemy's enemy... Isn't really my friend and could long term mean worse sort of situations.
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa