And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2023, 02:05:48 AMTrailer for Cities: Skylines II Preorder.

I caved. :blush:

A lot looks the same...bar maybe good ideas pilfered from mods?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Its hard to convey in a trailer but what Cities Skyline 1 is lacking nowadays and CS2 needs is a good modern engine.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

What Skylines need is not being forced into making 20th century North American style cities.
Given they're Finns and they made Cities in Motion they should know this.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Star General is now on GOG for 5.00:

https://www.gog.com/en/game/star_general

It's the redheaded stepchild of SSI's old Five Star series (Panzer General, Allied General, Pacific General, Fantasy General, Star General), combining space and ground combat. I had it around the time it came out - it had atrocious performance issues, though, leaving it barely responsive and basically unplayable on my PC back then. Maybe time to give it another look.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2023, 02:05:48 AMTrailer for Cities: Skylines II Preorder.

I caved. :blush:

I caved on Starfield instead. :ph34r:

Syt

One of my favorite AoW4 mods is Wondrous Items which adds a whole bunch of new items to the game - the vanilla item inventory is a bit anemic. On the whole, the items are adding variety without being too OP. The modder recently added custom art for his additions ... and it took me a bit to notice that some of it looked VERY familiar ... he's been using a bunch of icons of uniques in Path of Exile which blend in surprisingly well with the existing equipment icons. "Wait ...  isn't this cloak of flames ... the Cloak of Flame??" :lol:

If anyone wants to sub to the mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2981614385
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I know this is very broad, but I'm starting holidays next week and I kinda want to look for a game to tide me over - I have had so little time to play these past months.

Kinda fancy some interesting rpg or strategy game, something maybe indie that tries to break the mold a little. I know, very broad, but I haven't been much in tune with new videogames. But if you've particularly enjoyed anything in these genres lately, share it and I will look into it.

I'm of half a mind of getting Rule the Waves 3, but that might be a bit too extreme   :P

Tamas

Rule the Waves 3 is a nice improvement on the previous game, but you still need to be into playing naval design and combat via spreadsheet, to enjoy.

Maybe also try the new Aliens game, it is getting very good reviews. I'll pick it up for sure once we are done with our house move and I can actually focus on anything more involved than World of Tanks.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on June 24, 2023, 03:44:35 AMI know this is very broad, but I'm starting holidays next week and I kinda want to look for a game to tide me over - I have had so little time to play these past months.

Kinda fancy some interesting rpg or strategy game, something maybe indie that tries to break the mold a little. I know, very broad, but I haven't been much in tune with new videogames. But if you've particularly enjoyed anything in these genres lately, share it and I will look into it.

I'm of half a mind of getting Rule the Waves 3, but that might be a bit too extreme   :P

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1527950/Wartales/
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Wartales looks interesting. Reminds me of Battle Brothers, which I enjoyed greatly.

For now, though, Rule The Waves 3 it is.  :ph34r:

What was holding me back is not the spreadsheet foolishness - I love that shit. Rather the battles themselves, which seem very numerous and I don't see myself fighting each and every one. But I'll try the admiral/rear admiral modes.

Syt

On the Single Malt Strategy podcast they mentioned that the amount of battles is a bit of an issue, and that "auto resolve" just means handing it over to the AI while you watch. Also, that there's very limited feedback on how your ship designs performed in combat.

They said that it might be partially due to a mismatch between the interests of the developers and the players. Apparently, the devs originally added the strategic layer to generate scenarios and get people to play the battle sim layer - whereas most players seem to like the strategic and design layer a lot more than the battle sim. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

That sounds familiar. Total War, field of glory....
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Well, I spent like 9 hours straight playing this shit.  :blush:

After several false starts I sort of got the hang of it - I still play terribly but I let the IA control the majority of my units. As Spain I managed to win a war against Italy and then against Germany (mostly because I manipulated tensions to get allied with France and UK  :blush: ), and I find myself with a couple extra colonies.

The problem with Spain is that my fleet is pitiful compared to every other European power, and I won't be able to ever catch up given the massive budget differences. My ships are actually good, but I don't have enough.

I know the tactic when hopelessly outmatched is going full jeune ecole, but I'm terrible at making torpedo runs, or getting the AI to do them.