News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2023, 12:41:15 PMGreat War: Western Front has a demo out:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2109370/The_Great_War_Western_Front/

It has you manage the Western Front as a turn based layer (including researching new technologies), with battles playing out in real time.

PC Gamer preview: https://www.pcgamer.com/i-lost-thousands-of-soldiers-in-the-great-war-western-front-because-i-forgot-my-balloon/
The game is by Petroglyph who made Star Wars: Empire at War and the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection ... with a lot of lesser known RTS titles in between.

Thanks for the links, looks like quite a cool game.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

So there's a new Harry Potter game coming out: Hogwarts Legacy.

Reviews make it sound interesting, though I almost certainly wouldn't buy it.

What is amusing though is how all the game reviews tie themselves in knots trying to justify why they're reviewing the game, even though they really don't agree with JK Rowling's views on trans people.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

No one takes these shills serious anyways after all those years where every AAA game scored at least 9/10, and often enough 11/10.

Josquius

It seems an interesting one where the developers have not been promising the moon and have specifically been downplaying what to expect. Quite a different approach to the usual.
Though it does seem to have made it a fairly generic Harry Potter themed  open world game rather than the Harry Potter bully I dreamed of.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2023, 03:40:03 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2023, 12:41:15 PMGreat War: Western Front has a demo out:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2109370/The_Great_War_Western_Front/

It has you manage the Western Front as a turn based layer (including researching new technologies), with battles playing out in real time.

PC Gamer preview: https://www.pcgamer.com/i-lost-thousands-of-soldiers-in-the-great-war-western-front-because-i-forgot-my-balloon/
The game is by Petroglyph who made Star Wars: Empire at War and the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection ... with a lot of lesser known RTS titles in between.

Thanks for the links, looks like quite a cool game.

I have to say, watching the gameplay videos, the game does not look as "twitch-based" as feared, and being able to issue commands while paused is a big plus. The strategic layer looks decently detailed - my main concern is that playing out the entire war (even when auto-resolving very one-sided battles) might be a bit of a slog. Then again, that would probably be entirely appropriate. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on February 07, 2023, 05:55:03 PMIt seems an interesting one where the developers have not been promising the moon and have specifically been downplaying what to expect. Quite a different approach to the usual.
Though it does seem to have made it a fairly generic Harry Potter themed  open world game rather than the Harry Potter bully I dreamed of.

That's indeed how it seems. Looks interesting but not a must have (Potter or not). Maybe something to get when potential dlc have dropped and when there's a sale. Assuming the user reviews are good. So around 2025 or so.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2023, 01:40:34 AMI have to say, watching the gameplay videos, the game does not look as "twitch-based" as feared, and being able to issue commands while paused is a big plus. The strategic layer looks decently detailed - my main concern is that playing out the entire war (even when auto-resolving very one-sided battles) might be a bit of a slog. Then again, that would probably be entirely appropriate. :P

That's encouraging news.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2023, 04:33:55 PMSo there's a new Harry Potter game coming out: Hogwarts Legacy.

What is amusing though is how all the game reviews tie themselves in knots trying to justify why they're reviewing the game, even though they really don't agree with JK Rowling's views on trans people.

Well they put trans characters in the game. Ensuring that everybody will be pissed off. The culture wars are an amazing thing.

I sure hope if I ever become a billionaire I find a better cause to fight for with that money than moral panic culture wars bullshit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2023, 03:14:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2023, 04:33:55 PMSo there's a new Harry Potter game coming out: Hogwarts Legacy.

Well they put trans characters in the game. Ensuring that everybody will be pissed off. The culture wars are an amazing thing.

I sure hope if I ever become a billionaire I find a better cause to fight for with that money than moral panic culture wars bullshit.

In a world where werewolves exist, where a man can take the form of a rat, and a polyjuice potion can turn you into a cat, surely a person changing sex via magic would hardly be a big deal?

And that's just off the top of my head - I'm hardly a huge HP nerd.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2023, 04:02:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2023, 03:14:25 PM

In a world where werewolves exist, where a man can take the form of a rat, and a polyjuice potion can turn you into a cat, surely a person changing sex via magic would hardly be a big deal?

And that's just off the top of my head - I'm hardly a huge HP nerd.

I know. If you can just change your body into whatever surely the whole idea of transgender would be a non-issue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Played most of the campaign tutorial of the West Front demo. Promising and may be fun but also a bit hard to see how it won't get repetitive very quickly.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on February 08, 2023, 04:47:13 PMPlayed most of the campaign tutorial of the West Front demo. Promising and may be fun but also a bit hard to see how it won't get repetitive very quickly.

Leading la Patrie to victory could never get repetitive.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2023, 05:06:30 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 08, 2023, 04:47:13 PMPlayed most of the campaign tutorial of the West Front demo. Promising and may be fun but also a bit hard to see how it won't get repetitive very quickly.

Leading la Patrie to victory could never get repetitive.

Revolutionary zeal or 2003 surrender joke. You decide.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Does it have the race to the sea? For maximum ability to change history.

Tamas

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 09, 2023, 03:46:58 AMDoes it have the race to the sea? For maximum ability to change history.

I don't know but I'd be pretty certain it starts the earliest at the onset of trench warfare. The strategy map mechanics seem alright (I'd say earlier Total War games level in terms of detail) but I can't see them working for maneuver warfare.