News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on September 10, 2022, 12:29:04 AMAt least you documented the new system comprehensively and kept the documentation up-to-date. Right...?  ;) 

Transfering the whole project from one external developer to another this year has been ... "fun." (Actually, the new guys are still getting up to speed .... )

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2022, 12:56:40 PMI have seen reasonably convincing arguments that it was better to be colonized by the British than the other European powers, but that's something different.

Better than the Belgians, I guess.

Sheilbh

Just had part 1 of the Accession Council on the TV for the first time. Slightly fascinating because it's the only bit of ceremonial that is Anglo-Saxon in origin and basically derived from the Witan.

I think the next bit is Charles swearing to uphold the Church of Scotland and then he gets proclaimed in London.

It does mean, thankfully, that the TV talking heads are now historians not royal correspondents.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 10, 2022, 04:20:53 AMJust had part 1 of the Accession Council on the TV for the first time. Slightly fascinating because it's the only bit of ceremonial that is Anglo-Saxon in origin and basically derived from the Witan.

I think the next bit is Charles swearing to uphold the Church of Scotland and then he gets proclaimed in London.

It does mean, thankfully, that the TV talking heads are now historians not royal correspondents.

Again, how is a small circle of people ceremonially affirming who is going to be head of state 'til the day he dies is in any way compatible with the democratic ideas we take not only for granted but necessary for maintaining a modern state?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2022, 04:25:21 AMAgain, how is a small circle of people ceremonially affirming who is going to be head of state 'til the day he dies is in any way compatible with the democratic ideas we take not only for granted but necessary for maintaining a modern state?
It doesn't seem to hold, say, Japan back from modernity - and I found their enthronement ceremony after the abdication of the emperor really interesting. I don't think it matters in terms of modernisation or not, or progressive or not.

It's wrong in principle - but fascinating to watch.

Edit: Actually and weirdly this does remind me aesthetically of the Japanese ceremony - the King and lots of others in morning dress. I keep expecting everyone to shout banzai - like I think the PM and various politicians were doing at the Japanese enthronement.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 10, 2022, 04:31:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2022, 04:25:21 AMAgain, how is a small circle of people ceremonially affirming who is going to be head of state 'til the day he dies is in any way compatible with the democratic ideas we take not only for granted but necessary for maintaining a modern state?
It doesn't seem to hold, say, Japan back from modernity - and I found their enthronement ceremony after the abdication of the emperor really interesting. I don't think it matters in terms of modernisation or not, or progressive or not.

It's wrong in principle - but fascinating to watch.

Yeah fascinating the same way a medieval re-enactment event is. :P I'd prefer principle over entertainment.

I don't know. The archaic anachronism of it all just upsets me more than I thought it would.

Tamas

And now this lady on the BBC just stopping short on crawling on the floor in front of the new king. Give me a bloody break.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2022, 04:41:23 AMAnd now this lady on the BBC just stopping short on crawling on the floor in front of the new king. Give me a bloody break.

Have you given up your citizenship oath so quickly?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2022, 04:38:10 AMYeah fascinating the same way a medieval re-enactment event is. :P I'd prefer principle over entertainment.
To be fair I also love the civic ceremonial of Republics :blush:

I think there's something wonderful about the inauguration in the US (with one recent, quite dark exception) - all the big flags and the marching bands etc. I think it's great.

Or the inauguration of the French President - which only lasts one day but is quite similar the President is announced in front of all the political and judicial leaders, he becomes Grand Master of the Legion of Honour and then travels to the City of Paris to sign the charter.

Edit: Although on archaism I hope the Scottish Parliament gets rid of the oath to protect the one true Protestant faith (the Church of Scotland) :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

:P

I'll keep to my oath of being a loyal subject but I don't remember swearing to like all the groveling.

Sheilbh

And there will be a bank holiday for the funeral - I missed that but apparently one of the orders in council just approved.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

You don't have to watch it Tamas; I believe cbeebies programming is still going on as normal.

I will also add that republics are an older form of organisation than constitutional monarchies and thus moire archaic :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2022, 04:50:01 AM:P

I'll keep to my oath of being a loyal subject but I don't remember swearing to like all the groveling.
Just watching that bit and the crowd doing three cheers for the new king before guards did it/before they were told to. There's something almost pre-modern about that. As I was saying earlier, I've always read about the theory of monarchy and how they do the continuity - but it is incredible to see it in action like this.

This country just has no republican sense or gumption - this hasn't happened for 70 years and everyone knows their role and what to do :huh:

And I think David Olusoga's point a few times this morning is interesting, that we're watching this on TV - and Charles wanted the Accession Council on TV for the first time. But what we're watching are the original ceremonies of making this all public - proclamations in the City to announce what had happened.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Just on the BBC watching Charles' former Prince's Trust head talking about the "festival of sustainability" he hosted a couple of years ago at St James' Palace, David Olusoga talking about Charles' attending Barbados becoming a republic and being struck by him (and the closest the monarchy - maybe Britain - has come to an apology for the slave trade) and Lord Simon Woolley of Operation Black Vote talking about Charles' interest in BLM movement (and also Barbados as he has Bajan heritage).

I wonder how long it'll be before we discover from the Daily Mail that, regrettably, the monarchy is woke :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 10, 2022, 05:17:48 AMYou don't have to watch it Tamas; I believe cbeebies programming is still going on as normal.

I will also add that republics are an older form of organisation than constitutional monarchies and thus moire archaic :P

:P

I am not sure why but it really triggered the red revolutionary in me. I think it was at the affirmation of Scottish protestantism where I flew off the handle.