News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

There's actually a decent bit of logic to the silly motorcade. There are typically a few "decoy" beasts, so it is not clear which vehicle the POTUS is in. Then there are multiple "tactical" SUVs, essentially filled with ready to go, tactical geared Secret Service agents who are ready to get involved in a fire fight at the drop of a hat to provide cover for a Presidential escape if an attack occurred. Then there are a few medical support vehicles, including ones that carry the President's blood type at all times, to provide emergency on site medical care if he's wounded.

A lot of it seems a bit much, but look at it from the converse. Someone like Lee Oswald was able to, at the height of the Cold War, kill the leader of one of the two superpowers at the time with a cheap Italian rifle he ordered through the mail for like $20, on his lunch break. There's a lot of things that went in to making that possible, and almost none of those vulnerabilities exist in modern Presidential protocol.

While it is quaint these other officials can be seen out shopping and such, imagine if you are Russia, or Iran, and the U.S. President did that? You would have a decent chance of killing him at almost no cost, basically all it takes is a couple dedicated extremists who aren't nationals of your country that you can get decent separation from, and pay for their training / arming and set them loose. And unfortunately the only way to defend against vectors like that is to have pretty elaborate to the point of absurdity security.

Sheilbh

Incidentally poll on the monarchy showed about 80% support which is basically unchanged from the last time the poll was done.

So I imagine for the palace and the BBC etc that was a job well done. Especially given all the speculation over the years about Charles - admittedly it's in his hands now.

In a way there's no bigger indication to me of Britain's fundamental monarchism than that the person most popular as a suggested "President of Britain" is David Attenborough. It seems to me that if you basically want to replace one broadly apolitical and well-liked 96 year old who likes animals for another then there's not really much urgent desire for the principle of republicanism :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

#527
That anti-Monarchist Canadian Youtuber BB doesn't like said something to the effect that once he saw the humble and gracious way Charles has handled the situation he doubts him coming to the throne presents any new opportunities to detach Canada from the Monarchy. So yeah well done Chuck, you seem to be doing your job so far.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgKF2ZYBc2o
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 20, 2022, 09:37:46 AMIncidentally poll on the monarchy showed about 80% support which is basically unchanged from the last time the poll was done.

So I imagine for the palace and the BBC etc that was a job well done. Especially given all the speculation over the years about Charles - admittedly it's in his hands now.

In a way there's no bigger indication to me of Britain's fundamental monarchism than that the person most popular as a suggested "President of Britain" is David Attenborough. It seems to me that if you basically want to replace one broadly apolitical and well-liked 96 year old who likes animals for another then there's not really much urgent desire for the principle of republicanism :lol:

To me that shows the opposite. :P I think nominating a figurehead based on lifetime achievements in the public eye is far, far, far above declaring one based on birth.


EDIT: I mean that in general. As far as the British monarch is considered, Long Live the King!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 20, 2022, 09:23:51 AMLee Lee Oswald was able to, at the height of the Cold War, kill the leader of one of the two superpowers at the time with a cheap Italian rifle he ordered through the mail for like $20, on his lunch break. There's a lot of things that went in to making that possible

Now I get why the lunch break has steadily vanished from the US workplace.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2022, 09:45:01 AMTo me that shows the opposite. :P I think nominating a figurehead based on lifetime achievements in the public eye is far, far, far above declaring one based on birth.


EDIT: I mean that in general. As far as the British monarch is considered, Long Live the King!

Almost lost your citizenship there Tamas.

To me it shows that the British don't want a President, they want a mascot. Fair enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Tamas the Oath-breaker has a nice ring to it :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2022, 09:43:57 AMThat anti-Monarchist Canadian Youtuber BB doesn't like said something to the effect that once he saw the humble and gracious way Charles has handled the situation he doubts him coming to the throne presents any new opportunities to detach Canada from the Monarchy. So yeah well done Chuck, you seem to be doing your job so far.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgKF2ZYBc2o

I never said I didn't like JJ. :huh:

I mean I've watched several of his videos, so I can hardly say I don't like him.  He just has some very odd views and I wouldn't remotely hold him as being representative of typical Canadians.  I mean: he's a gay conservative republican - good luck finding many of those!

(conservative and republican meant in a traditional sense, not referring to political parties)
Quote from: crazy canuckBB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

OttoVonBismarck

Obviously he came into the firm due to birthright, but in terms of "qualifications for the role", Charles III is probably the most qualified monarch in Britain's history of constitutional monarchs, at least. Prince of Wales basically does a "Junior" version of most of the jobs of the real monarch, and he was that for 50+ years, and the last 10 years he has taken on progressively more of the Queen's previous jobs.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2022, 10:11:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2022, 09:43:57 AMThat anti-Monarchist Canadian Youtuber BB doesn't like said something to the effect that once he saw the humble and gracious way Charles has handled the situation he doubts him coming to the throne presents any new opportunities to detach Canada from the Monarchy. So yeah well done Chuck, you seem to be doing your job so far.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgKF2ZYBc2o

I never said I didn't like JJ. :huh:

I mean I've watched several of his videos, so I can hardly say I don't like him.  He just has some very odd views and I wouldn't remotely hold him as being representative of typical Canadians.  I mean: he's a gay conservative republican - good luck finding many of those!

(conservative and republican meant in a traditional sense, not referring to political parties)

Fair enough. The guy BB introduced me to without being entirely positive about him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on September 19, 2022, 03:51:47 PMUmm, the hats on top pic weren't white.

And the spats were more prominent in 1952.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!