News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-1...
Last post by Legbiter - September 25, 2022, 11:08:43 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 25, 2022, 09:36:30 AMInteresting thread on possible demographic impact on Russia from the mobilization and emigration of the 20-35 year old cohort of men. More devastating than Covid for Russia.

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1573962833049665538

Interesting.
Last post by The Larch - September 25, 2022, 11:03:51 AM
These kind of news are good to read, IMO, for a couple of reasons. First, it shows that Russia was so ill-prepared for things not going their way that they didn't even plan a partial mobilisation properly and have unloaded most of the responsability on regional governments that don't really know what to do. Secondly, it shows that internal dissent is growing, even amongst those favourable to the Putin regime. At this rate this mobilisation will end up doing much more harm than good to Russia.

QuotePutin allies concerned over mobilisation drive 'excesses'
Russia's two most senior lawmakers have expressed concern at the way the mobilisation drive is unfolding in the country.

Valentina Matviyenko, the chairwoman of Russia's upper house, the Federation Council, said she was aware of reports of men who should be ineligible for the draft being called up.

"Such excesses are absolutely unacceptable. And, I consider it absolutely right that they are triggering a sharp reaction in society," she said in a post on the Telegram messaging app.

In a direct message to Russia's regional governors – who she said had "full responsibility" for implementing the call-up – she wrote: "Ensure the implementation of partial mobilisation is carried out in full and absolute compliance with the outlined criteria. Without a single mistake."

Vyacheslav Volodin, another Putin ally and speaker of the State Duma, Russia's lower chamber, voiced his views in a separate post.

"Complaints are being received," he said. "If a mistake is made, it is necessary to correct it ... Authorities at every level should understand their responsibilities."
Last post by Crazy_Ivan80 - September 25, 2022, 10:46:35 AM
Odd to think that Russia could be crippled for a generation or two, maybe even longer.
Off the Record / Re: Iranian Protests
Last post by Solmyr - September 25, 2022, 10:44:28 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 24, 2022, 01:41:12 AMThe European experience with muslims is a tad different.

Pretty much all Finnish Iranians are against the mullahs. They held a demonstration today protesting against the Iranian government.
Off the Record / Re: Star Wars Megathread
Last post by celedhring - September 25, 2022, 10:19:11 AM
I did notice Luke sounding much more youthful than current-day Mark Hamill in the tv shows, but I attributed it to Hamill's voiceacting skills and a gente touch of digital editing, not a full blown digital recreation.

Wonder how long it will take for this kind of tech to be used to recreate i.e. dead singers.
Off the Record / Re: Star Wars Megathread
Last post by viper37 - September 25, 2022, 10:13:27 AM
James Earl Jones sign over his voice

Darth Vader's iconic voice will now be made by an AI.

QuoteJames Earl Jones has been the iconic voice of Darth Vader since the beginning of Star Wars, but at 91 years old, it seems he's ready to have the work done for him. According to a report from Vanity Fair (via Deadline), Jones signed over the rights to his archival voice work, allowing the Ukrainian startup Respeecher to leverage AI technology and recreate the sound of his voice in Disney Plus' Obi-Wan Kenobi.

To do this, Respeecher uses sound bites to "clone" an actor's voice, allowing a studio to record new lines without having the actor present. Matthew Wood, Skywalker Sound's supervising sound editor, told Vanity Fair that he presented Jones with the option once he "mentioned he was looking into winding down" the role of Darth Vader. After Jones gave Lucasfilm permission to use the AI-generated voice, Vanity Fair says the studio tasked Respeecher with making Vader sound like Jones' "dark side villain from 45 years ago" in Disney Plus' Obi-Wan Kenobi.

This is why you might notice that Vader sounds a lot like he did in the earlier films in Obi-Wan, as opposed to Jones' actual voice in 2019's The Rise of Skywalker. Despite the studio's use of AI for Vader's voice, Wood says Jones takes on the role of a "benevolent godfather," and still helps guide the studio's depiction of the villain.
This isn't the first time Respeecher has worked with Lucasfilms, either. The startup also generated a voice for the younger version of Luke Skywalker in Disney Plus' The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett. In a press release, Respeecher explains that it used clips from "many early years' worth of radio broadcasts, interviews, ADRs, and dubs" with Mark Hamill to digitally recreate Skywalker's voice.

Other AI speech synthesis tools like Voicemod, Veritone, Descript, and Resemble AI have also emerged as potential ways for celebrities and creators to digitally recreate their voices." As my colleague James Vincent points out, the trend could become popular among celebrities who want to "boost their income with minimal effort by cloning and renting out their voice." Or, in Jones' case, it could help preserve the voice of arguably one of the most famous villains in film.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by celedhring - September 25, 2022, 10:09:26 AM
Quote from: Maladict on September 25, 2022, 09:55:14 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 25, 2022, 09:19:52 AMI'm more mistified by the Greeks vacationing in Albania  :hmm:

I suspect there's some noise in what Eurostat is counting as "tourism".

Not if you remember Greece is broke  :D

The mistifying one for me is Lithuania. Not the UK as a destination, but why Lithuania?

I suppose it makes sense. They're on the lowest band of % of people vacationing abroad - Greece is an awesome place to holiday in itself, so most people probably just travel domestically and Albania probably gets there by being cheap and a neighbor.
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Maladict - September 25, 2022, 09:55:14 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 25, 2022, 09:19:52 AMI'm more mistified by the Greeks vacationing in Albania  :hmm:

I suspect there's some noise in what Eurostat is counting as "tourism".

Not if you remember Greece is broke  :D

The mistifying one for me is Lithuania. Not the UK as a destination, but why Lithuania?
Off the Record / Re: What are you listening to?
Last post by Syt - September 25, 2022, 09:39:11 AM
Elden Ring has this song playing on a loop in one area.

Reminds me a lot of Ashokan Farewell?  :hmm:
Last post by Zanza - September 25, 2022, 09:36:30 AM
Interesting thread on possible demographic impact on Russia from the mobilization and emigration of the 20-35 year old cohort of men. More devastating than Covid for Russia.

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1573962833049665538