News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - April 23, 2024, 06:00:58 PM
It was St George's Day wankers. Tommy Robinson and Laurence Fox holding a rally for about 200 supporters from what I saw.

There will also be the bigger official celebration by the Mayor at the weekend.

Edit: Also on that and following up from Duncan Robinson's excellent Englishness piece from this time last year - I thought this was interesting given the discourse over the same period:
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Admiral Yi - April 23, 2024, 05:56:52 PM
Quote from: Josquius on April 23, 2024, 05:48:41 PMGot to love the double standards continuing to be at play from some.
Endlessly pressing how bad anti semitism has gotten yet the rise in islamophobia?
Not a peep.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-anti-muslim-incidents-hit-record-high-2023-due-israel-gaza-war-2024-04-02/

We peeped the Vermont attack.  At least one peep.
Last post by Josquius - April 23, 2024, 05:56:48 PM
In other news seems there was a random fascist march in London today about.... Something? Not clear what.
Last post by Sheilbh - April 23, 2024, 05:49:39 PM
Yeah so I don't think I've seen the same GP twice since I was a kid.

I believe on the merging that a big issue is that a lot of younger GPs don't really want to be partners now so the old GP model is struggling a bit. It's why I think Streeting's ideas on GPs surgeries sound sensible to me.

FWIW I suspect there's probably something fairly similar with high street solicitors etc. They're still around but, and I could be wrong, there's fewer people who want all the stress of setting up or running a small-ish practice.
Last post by Josquius - April 23, 2024, 05:48:41 PM
Got to love the double standards continuing to be at play from some.
Endlessly pressing how bad anti semitism has gotten yet the rise in islamophobia?
Not a peep.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-anti-muslim-incidents-hit-record-high-2023-due-israel-gaza-war-2024-04-02/
Last post by Josquius - April 23, 2024, 05:42:39 PM
I think that depends on your GP.
It does seem more and more common they are merging into bigger and bigger organisations where you see a different one every time.
But when I was younger I only ever saw 2 GPs, a married couple who shared their practice with iirc another 2 who had their own patients.
I know some of these smaller GPs do still exist. Though probably more in smaller towns.

But yes. For sure there's a large gate keeper element. They have flow charts to go through. It's like a shitty game, figuring out what answer to give at different times to pass through without getting too far from reality.
Last post by garbon - April 23, 2024, 05:06:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2024, 02:55:57 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2024, 02:49:52 PMHaving said that my experience of GPs would not be that they are advocates rather than gatekeepers :lol: And a GP's receptionist is the fiercest gatekeeper of them all.

So again all Canadian experience.  YMMV.

Yes, doctors are quite strict about getting access to the doctor.  But once you get in to see them they're paid the same whether it's 2 minutes or 20 minutes.  So whatever gets you out of there quicker is what they'll often go with.  If you're asking for a sick note, the quickest response is to write a sick note - it would take much more time to investigate, ask a bunch of questions, and challenge whether you're really sick.

But yes that doesn't mean your GP is going to go to bat and make a bunch of phone calls or whatever on your behalf.

(My wife works as a medical assistant for three doctors - one GP, one surgeon (who has to do surgical consults), and I forget what the third one does.  They're lovely people, but you can definitely see the failings in the system from her stories)

Yeah as Sheilbh said, here in the UK very different. GPs are 99% gatekeepers, 1% patient advocates. I've never even seen the same GP twice.:o
Last post by Admiral Yi - April 23, 2024, 04:56:46 PM
The first time I scanned Raz's list of genocide chants I thought fuck, expel them all.

Second read through I noticed they're all directed to Israel proper.  Nothing threatening to Jews at Columbia or in the US.  So maybe no expulsion?
Off the Record / Re: Indian Elections 2024
Last post by Josquius - April 23, 2024, 04:24:58 PM
Based off my experiences with one Indian guy (so yeah. He could just be a werido) Islam as the foreign invaders religion certainly seems to be key to the hate.
I remember a few times he spoke about how great things were in ancient India, free love peace and glory, until the fire nat... Muslims invaded.

I get the feeling that some of it might be displacement of some of the post colonial inferiority complex about the UK since English and other colonial introductions are so core to India they can't really be challenged nor would it be wise to.
Islam on the other hand is a far safer target to bash.
Off the Record / Re: Indian Elections 2024
Last post by Admiral Yi - April 23, 2024, 04:15:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2024, 03:58:42 PMSo I really tend to dislike the casual use of the word "lying".

In order to lie, you have to know what you're saying is false, and yet say it anyways.  If you believe in something false and say it, you're not lying.  An ardent flat earther is not lying when he/she says the world is flat - they are just badly mistaken.

So sure - in some alternate history, maybe the relationship between hindus and muslims would be completely different.  But as they say - if grandma had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

The BJP views islam as the religion of foreign invaders.  Whether they're right to or not doesn't really matter.

I agree with you about the meaning of "to lie."  That was exactly my objection to the anti Gulf War chant "Bush lied, people died."  However using the word lie does seem to have helped you understand my point.

And my point is that the BJP professes *not* to view Islam as the religion of foreign invaders, just a foreign relgion.