News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Tamas - Today at 07:42:32 AM
It is of course slightly dishonest from Guardian etc. that it is not mentioned that the USD is exceptionally strong since the Fed decided to fight inflation and the EU and UK decided to pretend to fight it, but even so the pound's weakness is staggering since the mini-budget announcement.

And in any case, if we are facing a headwind (strength of the USD) I would propose that the best way to counter it  is NOT pissing right into it. Truss and Kwarteng seem to disagree though.

Well, they disagree if they think anything of the matter. I still have not seen any evidence that they thought this through more than looking Thatcher-like by helping Kwarteng be popular at banker parties. I know we are supposed to be excited about all the de-regulation coming to bring about the second coming, but that so far has been a promise so vague even Johnson would blush.
Last post by Richard Hakluyt - Today at 07:22:28 AM
It has rallied since to 1.079; but that appears to be based on the idea of an emergency Bank of England meeting to increase interest rates by 1%.

I wouldn't put it past these gormless cockwombles to do an EWrdogan though  :lol:
Last post by mongers - Today at 07:07:33 AM

That's some slide.
Off the Record / Re: Turkey's Presidential Take...
Last post by Tamas - Today at 06:41:43 AM
As a podcaster put it yesterday: there is nobody with a bigger permanent erection these days than Erdogan, thanks to he finds himself in the spotlight mediating the war in Ukraine.
Last post by mongers - Today at 06:15:00 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on Today at 06:08:35 AMMust be a record; the only thing that held them up was the official mourning for the Queen.

It even took Ted Heath a couple of years before he fucked everything up.

:Lol:

Also I can remember the Barber crash, my old man was a builder, what would be called a property developer nowadays, and it smashed his business; here's hoping it doesn't/does crash the property market.

Off the Record / Re: Turkey's Presidential Take...
Last post by mongers - Today at 06:10:57 AM
What are people's thoughts on Turkiye ?

NB Couldn't find the 'current' most used thread on Turkey as there are a lot produced from the search function.
Last post by Richard Hakluyt - Today at 06:08:35 AM
Must be a record; the only thing that held them up was the official mourning for the Queen.

It even took Ted Heath a couple of years before he fucked everything up.
Last post by mongers - Today at 06:02:23 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 24, 2022, 08:34:44 PM'Liz Trusts Crazy Kwarteng.'

A Sterling crisis already?

That's quite impressive, most experts are expecting one in around 6 months time.
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-1...
Last post by Crazy_Ivan80 - Today at 05:58:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on Today at 05:20:34 AMKazakhstan declared they'll refuse recognising the annexation of the "separatist" territories by Russia.

I guess none of the former Soviet -stans are going to be enthusiastic about this whole thing, after all the only difference between their status and Ukraine's is that the attacking Russian soldiers wouldn't be asked to massacre  close relatives.
Given that the Kazak border regions are at risk, despite the country going from just 40% Kazak to 70% Kazak since 1991, I'm not surprised by their stance. Especially since Russia has demonstrated its current lack of military capability.