News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 18, 2024, 02:36:18 PMWhat'd bush do to McCain?

I don't know specifically if this is what Valmy is talking about, but I suspect so - they implied that McCain's adopted daughter from Bangladesh was his illegitimate 'black' love child.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

They actually did a lot of stuff to McCain, I was still a partisan loyalist back then so still voted for Bush (and strongly preferred him over Kerry four years later, in spite of recognizing his many faults by 04); one of the real shitty things is they started doing a "push poll" in competitive primary states asking questions like "Would you vote for John McCain knowing he could have psychological issues from Vietnam War related PTSD?" [Paraphrasing]

Basically suggesting John was unfit to be President because he was suffering mental health problems related to his years as a POW (note that McCain himself never admitted to being diagnosed with PTSD, and the science of PTSD isn't super well understood--lots of people who go through equally horrific things never develop PTSD, but a lot of people do--the Bush campaign had no legitimate "source" that John had been diagnosed with PTSD. Or that by the time he was in his 60s, he was still afflicted with it in a way that would have impacted his performance as President.)

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2024, 02:41:05 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 18, 2024, 02:36:18 PMWhat'd bush do to McCain?

I don't know specifically if this is what Valmy is talking about, but I suspect so - they implied that McCain's adopted daughter from Bangladesh was his illegitimate 'black' love child.

Bingo. But he also spread a lot of other rumors that implied that McCain was a nutjob. I just thought it was a lot of dirty tricks and nonsense. But this was also the second time the Bush family had done some weirdly racist shit in a presidential campaign, I still remembered 1988 and seeing W do that sort of thing a second time was very disappointing to put it mildly.

But to be fair if your campaign is portraying you as a maverick I guess you open yourself up to your opponent portraying you as a nutjob.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

So it looks like a bunch of red state governors and the Speaker of the House are now on the cusp of doing something very, very bad over the latest SCOTUS decision about the Texas border? Like... suggesting a break with the federal government level bad? That's... not great.  :mellow:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sophie Scholl

So far: Florida, Virginia, Oklahoma, Montana, Arkansas, Georgia, and South Dakota have all announced they stand with Texas and their message of being against the federal government and that they will be "protecting themselves" going forward.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on January 25, 2024, 03:11:42 AMSo far: Florida, Virginia, Oklahoma, Montana, Arkansas, Georgia, and South Dakota have all announced they stand with Texas

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

All states refusing to abide by Federal law will not be able to send to Washington a slate of federal electors in 2024.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Not even the vampire supremes are going to vote for that pile of shit.

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on January 25, 2024, 03:24:18 AMIs this one about States' rights?

It's also about treating non-white people like shit, so not that much difference from the previous one. :P

Josquius

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on January 25, 2024, 03:01:31 AMSo it looks like a bunch of red state governors and the Speaker of the House are now on the cusp of doing something very, very bad over the latest SCOTUS decision about the Texas border? Like... suggesting a break with the federal government level bad? That's... not great.  :mellow:

So civil war 2 over something that isn't even a real issue.
Jesus that is one broken democracy
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Let's not get so excited just because a fatuous jackass like Abbott writes a one-page letter.  Who knows perhaps one day someone will teach him that dissenting Supreme Court opinions are not precedential.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

So Abbot is claiming that Texas has "constitutional rights" and is acting on a "quote" from Article ! Section 10 that is not actually in the Constitution?

Which article of the Texas state constitution allows the governor to just make shit up and give it the force of law?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 25, 2024, 08:34:57 AMLet's not get so excited just because a fatuous jackass like Abbott writes a one-page letter.  Who knows perhaps one day someone will teach him that dissenting Supreme Court opinions are not precedential.
Although - and obviously I know very little on this - that case sounds like it definitely shouldn't have been 5-4. Or am I wrong?
Let's bomb Russia!