News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2023, 11:57:04 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 13, 2023, 09:29:56 PMI shared a hotel room once with Mia Kirshner (Spock's mom in this episode)

:showoff:

I looked it up, because she looked too young to be Spock's mom - she's only 11 years older than Ethan Peck. :D

I enjoyed the episode, and Spock being the comic relief of the show is an unexpected but fun twist (the scene with Lt. Kirk and "his mess" was amazing :lol: ), but I hope it doesn't become too much of a trope. Season 1: Spock and T'Pring change bodies! Season 2: Spock becomes human and has to deal with his super-traditional Vulcan in-laws! Season 3: ???

Overall, I think Trek is doing a good job with recasting characters, btw. I was skeptical about Paul Wesley as Kirk, but the Toronto episode fully put that to rest for me. (Though Karl Urban as McCoy probably remains the best :wub: ) I wish Star Wars was willing to do this instead of relying on CGI trickery. Hell, regardless of what you thought of the movie Solo, I thought Alden Ehrenreich as Han and Donald Glover as Lando were great.

I think Star Wars is dabbling in this direction, realising they have no choice going forward- Mon Mothma in Andor was recast.
Then again with the way AI is coming on...
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2023, 04:24:21 AMI think Star Wars is dabbling in this direction, realising they have no choice going forward- Mon Mothma in Andor was recast.

Yes, but Genevieve O'Reilly was cast in that role already for Episode III, but the scenes in which she appeared were cut from the movie, and she had already reprised the role in Star Wars: Rebels.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2023, 04:30:18 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 14, 2023, 04:24:21 AMI think Star Wars is dabbling in this direction, realising they have no choice going forward- Mon Mothma in Andor was recast.

Yes, but Genevieve O'Reilly was cast in that role already for Episode III, but the scenes in which she appeared were cut from the movie, and she had already reprised the role in Star Wars: Rebels.

Such a serendipitous decision to bring her back for Rogue One. She otherwise doesn't have much of a noteworthy acting career but she's great in Andor.

Syt

Oh yeah, forgot she was in Rogue One, too. :D

Though I'm always tickled that Forest Whitaker seems to make time for any Star Wars project. "Need me for a movie to play an older version of an animated character? Sure! Need me to voice that character on an animated show? No problem. Need that character in a game? Of course! Spin off show? Yup!" :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2023, 11:04:18 AMOh yeah, forgot she was in Rogue One, too. :D

Though I'm always tickled that Forest Whitaker seems to make time for any Star Wars project. "Need me for a movie to play an older version of an animated character? Sure! Need me to voice that character on an animated show? No problem. Need that character in a game? Of course! Spin off show? Yup!" :lol:
Animated character?
I just knew him from rogue one.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

He was in the Onderon arc in Clone Wars, where Anakin and Ahsoka train the locals in guerrilla tactics. He and his sister Steela were main side characters in the arc, and she died in the end (partially thanks to Saw).

—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

In certain areas of nerdom you'd all be tarred and feathered for this hijack  :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 15, 2023, 05:45:57 AMIn certain areas of nerdom you'd all be tarred and feathered for this hijack  :contract:

:D

Syt

Enjoyed the new episode very much.

I was at first disappointed, because we've seen this kind of mystery several times across all of Trek in multiple variations, and I guessed what was happening quite early in the episode.

However, they made up for this with giving us more character exposition/development. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I'm slowly catching up with S2. First episode was meh, second was fun, the time travel episode is my favorite so far - it doesn't break new ground but it was effective - although I wish they didn't feel the need to shoehorn Kirk so much. It could have been any other member of the crew.

My favorite episode of the show remains the S1 finale - which was great although again, Kirk was weird in there.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

I loved the first episode.  I thought they were going get lazy and have the Captain save the day - TOS style.  Very happy they did not go that way.

The time travel one was, I think, the weakest so far but still enjoyable.  Last week was simply brilliant. 

Looking forward to seeing this week's episode - but I don't think it drops until tomorrow for us.

I appreciate the fact the early viewers are not talking about what happens.   :) 

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2023, 11:57:04 PMSeason 2: Spock becomes human and has to deal with his super-traditional Vulcan in-laws!
Spoiler:

I guess they needed something to push the separation of Spock and T'Pring as per TOS.

I've only read about it, I've never seen this episode, but in TOS, she forces Kirk and Spock to fight to the death so she can remarry, I think.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

So the Strange New Worlds / Lower Decks episode surprise dropped today.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on July 22, 2023, 09:01:00 PMSo the Strange New Worlds / Lower Decks episode surprise dropped today.

Thanks, I would not even have checked till next Thursday. :D

No spoilers, but: don't skip the opening credits. :)

This was excellent and pretty much all I hoped for. :cool:

Silly, yes. Goofy, very much. But also sincere and heartfelt in the right spots. :cry: And let's face it, Boimler is any of us who's a fan of TOS (Those Old Scientists). :wub:

Oh, and just btw - Episode 9 (August 3rd) will be a musical episode ....  :lmfao:

Ep. 8 seems a bit more serious, based on its title: "Under the Cloak of War" :ph34r:
—Stephen Jay Gould