News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Picard has become Revenge of the Boomers.  The young are warped and the olds are going to save us all!

viper37

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2023, 08:46:44 AMTrek Culture reminded me of what I thought earlier in the season (I think I may have mentioned above), i.e. that the "let's network all our ships" and it going badly seems especially stupid after Lower Decks S3 (where networked AI controlled ships wreaked havoc) and Star Trek Prodigy (where Starfleet ships were hijacked to kill each other by a virus as soon as they had communications connections), both happened before the events in this season ... Hard to disagree that apprently the writers across shows don't talk much to each other. :P
ST VI, Kirk specifically mentioned that all starships have a specific code so no enemy can take over all of Starfleet.  Control in ST: Discovery proved that networked ships could be a vulnerability, since that's pretty much what that AI did.

Also, no one in Starfleet ever watched Battlestar Galactica??? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2023, 09:19:30 AMStarfleet High Command: "Third time's the charm, right?"

Well, they can now blame all badmirals on Changeling infiltration. :P

Speaking of badmirals - loved the cameo from Adm. Shelby ... heard the name during the episode and thought, "Oh, that's awesome bringing her back" (she was on Best of Borth Worlds as Riker's "rival" ... only to kill her within seconds). -_- )
I was wondering if it was the same character, but she came by so quickly, I never got a chance to notice.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2023, 09:50:55 AMPicard has become Revenge of the Boomers.  The young are warped and the olds are going to save us all!

OMFG what a stupid plot I can't believe I held out hopes for this season for a while.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on April 15, 2023, 05:18:19 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 14, 2023, 09:50:55 AMPicard has become Revenge of the Boomers.  The young are warped and the olds are going to save us all!

OMFG what a stupid plot I can't believe I held out hopes for this season for a while.
The young ones are much more susceptible to mind control, that's why Tik Tok is so popular. :P

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on April 15, 2023, 01:15:02 PM

The young ones are much more susceptible to mind control, that's why Tik Tok is so popular. :P

Have you been on Facebook recently?  :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on April 15, 2023, 02:15:13 PM

:secret:

Facebook is for the olds.  :P

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 15, 2023, 02:52:01 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 15, 2023, 02:15:13 PM

:secret:

Facebook is for the olds.  :P

That's what I'm saying! Picard would so be in Facebook sharing wine memes :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Wine on the new Picard Trek? Well, that's one thing going for the series I guess.  :P

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2023, 02:14:31 AMNitpick: How can they fly the D without a crew? [/color]

Yeah, that part got me too. I was thinking, so why did they need a crew of hundreds aboard that ship before?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on April 16, 2023, 05:47:50 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2023, 02:14:31 AMNitpick: How can they fly the D without a crew? [/color]

Yeah, that part got me too. I was thinking, so why did they need a crew of hundreds aboard that ship before?
Just like Voyager, and the old Enterprise A, if need be, the ship can be run with the assistance of the computer with very few crew.

It's not the ideal scenario though.  It's kinda like landing a small aircraft by someone with no prior piloting experience.  It can be done, but it's not ideal.

Josephus

I won't rest until we see Geordie crawling through the Jeffries tubes
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Some unexpected homages(?) in the finale:

- Return of the Jedi (flying into the mega structure to target the 'splosive center (including the line "Here goes nothing!")
- Empire Strikes Back (Deanna sensing where Will is, similar to how Leia knew where Luke was at the end of the movie)
- Dark Souls 1: the design of the Borg Queen. In DS1 there's an NPC, one of the daughters of chaos. Technically, she's half spider, but she's melded into the wall/nest and probably diseased (one of her dialogue lines is that she hurts and the eggs have gone still ... similar to how the Borg drones have all died). Though she's not a villain, more a tragic figure (like 99% of Dark Souls characters). Link to what she looks like: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/darksouls/images/e/ed/Quelaag%27s_Sister.png
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The finale was okay. I thought. Rather formulaic, but it did its job. Very Return of the Jedi-esque with the Queen acting as Palpatine and the cube as the Death Star.

All in all - despite its flaws, which are not few - it's by far the best season of Picard. I think people would have enjoyed it more had it not been for the previous 2 trainwrecks. This is the kind of show that I was expecting when they first announced it. A decent Trek adventure and nostalgia-fest, the old crew still has incredible chemistry, and Worf steals every single scene he's in - and Spinner finally gets to play a likeable character instead of all the  lousy Soongs he's been saddled with in the previous seasons.

I presume the ending leaves the door open to a new episodic series with the "Titan" crew. Pity Shaw can't be part of it. :(

EDIT: I see Syt also noticed the ROTJ inspiration  :lol:

Josephus

Yes. All in all an epic finale to my favourite ST series.
Civis Romanus Sum