Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Started by OttoVonBismarck, May 02, 2022, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2022, 05:48:35 PMThe dud justices were not bad luck, they were just part of the learning curve.  Eventually the Federalist Society figured out a way to vet their candidates to make sure that double agents or other unreliable elements don't make it through the screening.
Yeah - I think Souter especially hangs over Miers. I don't think she had any Federalist bona fides, wasn't known in conservative legal circles and was basically a Bush/Texas nominee.

I think they learned their lesson and since Casey I think their only possible disappointment has been Roberts - but even then he wanted to basically allow very tight restrictions on Roe without overturning it.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 27, 2022, 06:10:20 PMHey, if you want to start saying Trump is a genius, fill your boots.

He played his part in a GOP long game going back to the Bork nomination. Trump was just the first presidential candidate to actually come out and say it. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2022, 06:20:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 27, 2022, 06:10:20 PMHey, if you want to start saying Trump is a genius, fill your boots.

He played his part in a GOP long game going back to the Bork nomination. Trump was just the first presidential candidate to actually come out and say it. 

Sure, but as you say, that has been a long term ambition.  The article you linked made the claim that he did exactly what he said he would - as if he knew what he was doing or had any influence over the process.  He had no idea what he was doing and for all anyone knew what Kavanaugh told Collins is exactly what would continue to happen.  A slow methodical chipping away.

But what has happened is radically different from that. Those who claim all this was painfully obvious demonstrate a bit of a lack of understanding of just how fundamental the majority decision differs from decades of court rulings and practice. Overturning Roe is bad enough on its own.  But this and the NY gun case signal a complete uprooting of US jurisprudence.

Can anyone honestly say they saw that magnitude of change coming?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

It's a slow road to progress. It wasn't until the mid-90s that Germany made rape between married partners a crime.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Il Duce DeSantis hasn't taken over yet - we've got a long way to go.  But one day, far in the future, America too will repeal its Nazi era abortion laws.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2022, 07:55:15 AMIl Duce DeSantis hasn't taken over yet - we've got a long way to go.  But one day, far in the future, America too will repeal its Nazi era abortion laws.
Yes, optimism is the way to think.   :hug:
In the same day, far in the future, Saudi Arabia too will allow women to vote. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PJL

Quote from: Syt on June 28, 2022, 07:50:33 AMIt's a slow road to progress. It wasn't until the mid-90s that Germany made rape between married partners a crime.
Not much behind the UK - we did that in 1992.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 27, 2022, 03:56:10 PMEither they are truly shocked, in which case, they exhibit a level of political stupidity that warrants their being primaried out, or they feign shock, in which case theirs is a cynical gamble to either cover their inaction, and turn this sort of thing almost exclusively into a funding opportunity.

For one very rare time, were in total agreement over a political issue.

When I heard Collins felt "betrayed" by Kavanaugh and the other crazy one... euh, wtf did you expect?  Trump told you why he picked them. FFS.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Quote from: Josquius on June 28, 2022, 07:38:37 AMSome positive news, whilst America goes backwards Germany moves forwards.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/germany-abolishes-nazi-era-abortion-law-2022-06-24
This is of course a good development, but German abortion law is probably more strict than the Mississippi law that was the reason for the recent decision in the US.

Solmyr

Quote from: PJL on June 28, 2022, 09:00:59 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 28, 2022, 07:50:33 AMIt's a slow road to progress. It wasn't until the mid-90s that Germany made rape between married partners a crime.
Not much behind the UK - we did that in 1992.

Finland did in 1994. The Finnish abortion law is also fairly strict - you need to have social or financial reasons for abortion (though in practice your reason is always accepted) and a supporting statement from two doctors (number will be reduced to one doctor with a new legislation reform).

alfred russel

Early indication of the impact of the ruling...

There was a special election for a house seat in a nebraska district last night that is skewed 11 points to the republican side. The republican won by ~6 points. Considering the catastrophic numbers the democrats have been looking at this year, that was not a good result at all for the republicans.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2022, 09:21:38 AMEarly indication of the impact of the ruling...

There was a special election for a house seat in a nebraska district last night that is skewed 11 points to the republican side. The republican won by ~6 points. Considering the catastrophic numbers the democrats have been looking at this year, that was not a good result at all for the republicans.

A wins a win. People still don't care enough.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

A special election days after the ruling and the Republican still won...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on June 29, 2022, 09:23:23 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2022, 09:21:38 AMEarly indication of the impact of the ruling...

A wins a win. People still don't care enough.

Some might even compare the situation to a cesspool.