Monday
18 (62.1%)
Thursday
0 (0%)
Day 1.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2023, 06:44:36 PMWell it just has been that way my entire life. Every calendar I have ever owned has Sunday as the first day.

As far as not making any sense...it is completely arbitrary which day is the first day so it doesn't have to.

Calendars are set up that way with the work week bracketed by non-workdays for esthetic reasons.  They aren't reflecting a philosophical argument about what the first day of the week is.

For me, the "week ends with a weekend" argument is most compelling, but I'm not committed to the idea that Monday is the first day.  For me, it's just a fun matter of semantics.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 04, 2023, 07:13:01 PMCalendars are set up that way with the work week bracketed by non-workdays for esthetic reasons.  They aren't reflecting a philosophical argument about what the first day of the week is.

Eh, well that's as good a reason as any.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2023, 06:47:15 PMSo when you heathens say weekend you only mean Saturday?

Yes. On Sunday you are supposed to be in Church doing Gods work. Or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Rex Francorum

Monday. Even if our calendar doesn't say so.
To rent

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2023, 06:47:15 PMSo when you heathens say weekend you only mean Saturday?

Why would the weekend be a separate entity from the week instead of being part of it?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Saturday is the weekend. Literally the end of the week.

This shows up in lots of ways. For example Saturday is a work day for the purposes of calculating days of notice in our interpretation act.

The end of the week (Saturday) is then of course followed by Sunday.  Historically that was a day of rest and all businesses were closed.  It's a recent development that a weekend was both days and both were days free of work.  That development has confused things a bit so now Sunday is considered the end of the week.  Which is also odd since now the end of the working week is actually Friday.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2023, 06:20:18 AM

Why would the weekend be a separate entity from the week instead of being part of it?

It isn't?
It's a sub part.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Well we just had Labor Day Weekend here in the US, and it includes Monday -_-

crazy canuck

Stat holidays are not part of the weekend

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on September 05, 2023, 02:35:52 PM

It isn't?
It's a sub part.

Tell that to Tamas.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2023, 03:42:31 PMWell we just had Labor Day Weekend here in the US, and it includes Monday -_-

Gotcha. So Sunday is part of the weekEND. Ergo it cannot be the start of the week.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2023, 05:04:10 PM
Quote from: Josquius on September 05, 2023, 02:35:52 PM

It isn't?
It's a sub part.

Tell that to Tamas.

My point exactly. The weekend as its name suggest is the end of the week. So Sunday is the end of the week.

HVC

Just add "work" before weekend and you can see the light, Tamas  P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on September 05, 2023, 06:39:13 PMJust add "work" before weekend and you can see the light, Tamas  P

So the work week isn't part of the week in your reckoning?  I'm sure that I don't understand.

In USA English, Sunday is part of the weekend.  When someone says "first thing next week, we will need to talk" they are not expecting the talk to take place on Sunday.

But I know that different languages don't even use the equivalent of "weekend" so it would seem that the first day of the week is different in different cultures, which is fine.  There's no need for something so subjective to be universal.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 05, 2023, 05:15:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2023, 03:42:31 PMWell we just had Labor Day Weekend here in the US, and it includes Monday -_-

Gotcha. So Sunday is part of the weekEND. Ergo it cannot be the start of the week.

So Tuesday is the first day of the week!