News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I have yet to catch up :pirate on the shows.

EDIT: Saw it's still on Prime, so will watch tonight, I guess.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Well, that was an intriguing first episode. :)

I just worry that the initial mystery is more compelling than what follows, as seems to be the case with modern Trek.

Though if you have to handwave twice why two characters that shouldn't have aged (much) look older now ... :D

Nice little detail: at the graduation ceremony, Picard called Elnor the "first fully Romulan" graduate. The writers probably knew if they called him the "first Romulan" graduate, fans would point to Simon Tarses from the TNG episode The Drumhead. :P https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Simon_Tarses
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, on the question why the Picards speak with a very British accent, both on TNG and in Picard, I like to think Transmetropolitan explained it. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Watched the first episode. It was ok, and I liked the cameos. But Stewart sounds old and that makes me sad.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on March 05, 2022, 04:27:56 AMWatched the first episode. It was ok, and I liked the cameos. But Stewart sounds old and that makes me sad.

I was watching him going through his semi-retirement life, thinking, "leave him be. Just let the poor guy rest. Let him enjoy life." :cry: I would totally watch a Picard show which is just him dealing with small day to day problems at the academy or something and checking in on his old friends. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Tending his vineyard with guests. Like a Star Trek variety show lol.

Also, why are star ships so dark now? Must be a bitch fining the right buttons.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Old Picard is hard to watch.  Not as hard as watching Biden give a speech, but it's close.

I am not very enthused about watching Picard what if

They developed some interesting characters in the first season.  But all that seems like it will be ignored as the show goes down a alternate time line rabbit hole.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 04, 2022, 07:33:46 AMPicard kicks Discovery's ass. Thought new episode was great.
that was a great show, I especially liked the ending :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 05, 2022, 09:39:23 AMI am not very enthused about watching Picard what if

can't be worst than Marvel's What if... :yucky:
:P

I'm cautiously hopeful that this won't be the entire season. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Calling it now (spoilers?): the Borg Queen asking to join the Federation is actually Seven from the future/past/parallel universe.

I'm still wondering what the Borg are up to I'm Discovery's tomeline. :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2022, 11:15:46 PMCalling it now (spoilers?): the Borg Queen asking to join the Federation is actually Seven from the future/past/parallel universe.

I was going to say they are creating an inconsistency with no borg components in ships of the future but that will depend on how this resolves.  It could be borg components are too risky.

The borg queen didn't seem to want to join she said she wanted power, ie to assimilate.  She was taking over the fleet.

Why specifically asking for Picard?  Because he is useful as a Borg?

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2022, 09:19:07 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2022, 11:15:46 PMCalling it now (spoilers?): the Borg Queen asking to join the Federation is actually Seven from the future/past/parallel universe.

I was going to say they are creating an inconsistency with no borg components in ships of the future but that will depend on how this resolves.  It could be borg components are too risky.

The borg queen didn't seem to want to join she said she wanted power, ie to assimilate.  She was taking over the fleet.

Why specifically asking for Picard?  Because he is useful as a Borg?

Not sure. They did point out, though, that she was only stunning the ship's crew, not killing them.  :hmm:

Her motives as of now are unclear - and that they're hiding her face makes us think that there might be a reveal later. Of course with Q in the mix all bets are off. Could be Tasha Yar now. :P With the dark painting of Picard, and Earth being screwed in the "Q scenes" I'm wondering, though, if we're back in the Mirror Universe which ... I'm a bit tired of? :lol:

(Btw, while I really like Rios' vibe as a captain, he ordered his crew multiple times to stop firing, and they completely ignored that order :D )
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Could have been stunning because why kill if the Goal is to assimilate.  Picard ordered self destruct so he realized it was desperate. 

The thing I was thinking about is the odd mention in all the early small talk about redoing the Kobayashi Maru test.  Was this Q's unwinnable test for Picard?

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2022, 05:13:59 PMCould have been stunning because why kill if the Goal is to assimilate.  Picard ordered self destruct so he realized it was desperate. 

The thing I was thinking about is the odd mention in all the early small talk about redoing the Kobayashi Maru test.  Was this Q's unwinnable test for Picard?

The Kobayashi Maru test was an unwinnable scenario at Star Fleet Academy, which Captain Kirk won by secretly changing the test parameters.  He was supposedly the only person ever to win the scenario.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 08, 2022, 07:56:23 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2022, 05:13:59 PMCould have been stunning because why kill if the Goal is to assimilate.  Picard ordered self destruct so he realized it was desperate. 

The Kobayashi Maru test was an unwinnable scenario at Star Fleet Academy, which Captain Kirk won by secretly changing the test parameters.  He was supposedly the only person ever to win the scenario.

Yes exactly.  The encounter with the Borg was unwinnable.  Was it just a scenario created by Q?