News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2022, 01:50:10 PMWhat is ridiculous is that in this particular case, people on the left are actually using the fact that the right does this as a way of simply dismissing actual criticism of "woke" politics. This is happening right here in this very thread, right now.

You struggle to see the forest for the trees. You sound like Mearsheimer in his interview with the New Yorker a few days ago when he was talking about Putin / Russia. There is a world where Russia has some legitimate claims vis-a-vis NATO and Ukraine, choosing to give them air in an environment of massive lies and dishonesty by Putin is simply carrying water for him, it isn't being smart, nuanced, self-critical or anything else. Same deal with the Republican Jihad and their nonsense.

Barrister

[deleted]
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 29, 2022, 02:13:47 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2022, 01:50:10 PMWhat is ridiculous is that in this particular case, people on the left are actually using the fact that the right does this as a way of simply dismissing actual criticism of "woke" politics. This is happening right here in this very thread, right now.

You struggle to see the forest for the trees. You sound like Mearsheimer in his interview with the New Yorker a few days ago when he was talking about Putin / Russia. There is a world where Russia has some legitimate claims vis-a-vis NATO and Ukraine, choosing to give them air in an environment of massive lies and dishonesty by Putin is simply carrying water for him, it isn't being smart, nuanced, self-critical or anything else. Same deal with the Republican Jihad and their nonsense.
Like I said, thank goodness we can all just stop worrying about anything the left does, because to do so is just carrying water for the right.

Is there a war on that I was not aware of, btw?

Or is the left always at war with the right, and hence any criticism of the left will always be "just like Putin/Russia"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

Quoteuseful idiot
noun
plural useful idiots
: a naive or credulous person who can be manipulated or exploited to advance a cause or political agenda

Berkut

Ad hominem. I would post a definition, but you know it already. You don't care of course, because you lack integrity, as usual.

0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Double down on the ad hom, well done.

I wonder what you hope to accomplish with this kind of just...nastiness. Are you trying to give Musk a run for his money at being just an all around unpleasant person who cannot have a discussion without resorting to this kind of petty bullshit?

Are you trying to give an object lesson in how to shut down other views you have failed to dispute with reason?

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2022, 12:12:13 PM(though...you know...sexual harassment is a crime)

QuoteSexual harassment generally violates civil laws—you have a right to work or learn without being harassed—but in many cases is not a criminal act, while sexual assault usually refers to acts that are criminal.

From rainn.org when I asked google.

celedhring

Interesting, over here it is a crime. Just one that doesn't necessarily involve jail time.

OttoVonBismarck

Some forms of sexual harassment are crimes, but some aren't. Sexual harassment is a broad term in employment law that includes things that are only a civil violation but also includes more serious sexual crimes (sexual assault / rape), in the case when it crosses over into those more serious crimes it usually isn't referred to as harassment colloquially, but definitionally sexual harassment is a broad term that encapsulates any type of sexual misconduct in a workplace or professional setting.

Sexual harassment in an employment setting is investigated by the EEOC who can issue civil penalties and initiate civil proceedings. For a more serious workplace incident like a workplace sexual assault or rape, depending on the context, there may be a criminal prosecution of the perpetrator but also a civil proceeding with the EEOC against the employer.

The Larch

Going back to Musk's deranged management style...

QuoteSaddle up, Twitter engineering managers. Elon Musk expects you to be writing a lot of code and he wants to see it tonight, according to an internal memo first reported by Platformer's Zoe Schiffer that I also obtained. Here is the full email, which was sent just after 3 AM Pacific time on Monday with the subject line "Code Reviews Tonight:"

QuotePlease be prepared to show what you've accomplished in the past ten days.

As a reminder, all managers are expected to write a meaningful amount of software themselves. Being unable to do so is like a cavalry captain who can't ride a horse.

Thanks,

Elon

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 29, 2022, 05:17:32 PMSome forms of sexual harassment are crimes, but some aren't. Sexual harassment is a broad term in employment law that includes things that are only a civil violation but also includes more serious sexual crimes (sexual assault / rape), in the case when it crosses over into those more serious crimes it usually isn't referred to as harassment colloquially, but definitionally sexual harassment is a broad term that encapsulates any type of sexual misconduct in a workplace or professional setting.

Sexual harassment in an employment setting is investigated by the EEOC who can issue civil penalties and initiate civil proceedings. For a more serious workplace incident like a workplace sexual assault or rape, depending on the context, there may be a criminal prosecution of the perpetrator but also a civil proceeding with the EEOC against the employer.

There is a separate charge of criminal harassment in Canadian law: you have to conduct a pattern of behaviour that causes someone to fear for their safety.  Obviously that kind of harassment could carry out an element of fear for your personal sexual safety and integrity - but also clear that one could be sexually harassed, feel deeply uncomfortable, yet not fear for your safety.

So what remedy do you have if you're sexually harassed, but short of criminal harassment?  Some courts (very few) have suggested there is a tort of harassment so you could sue and get damages - but that is not widely adopted.  There are more well established torts of intentional infliction of emotional distress, and the tort of battery.

BUt typically you're stuck with relying on human rights law or a claim of constructive dismissal.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

If I had to define "woke" in one word, there is a very good word for this:  Latinx.  It neatly captures almost everything that is wrong with the woke.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Larch on November 29, 2022, 05:19:52 PMGoing back to Musk's deranged management style...

QuoteSaddle up, Twitter engineering managers. Elon Musk expects you to be writing a lot of code and he wants to see it tonight, according to an internal memo first reported by Platformer's Zoe Schiffer that I also obtained. Here is the full email, which was sent just after 3 AM Pacific time on Monday with the subject line "Code Reviews Tonight:"

QuotePlease be prepared to show what you've accomplished in the past ten days.

As a reminder, all managers are expected to write a meaningful amount of software themselves. Being unable to do so is like a cavalry captain who can't ride a horse.

Thanks,

Elon
...people keep pointing out to him that that isn't how things work and he just keeps pushing ahead with his idiocy. Absolutely astounding. The reports of the companies he buys having success despite him and having to have a whole division to keeping him from breaking things and coddling his ego seems more and more accurate by the day. What an out of touch and awful manchild. It's like all of the worst traits of the children from Willy Wonka got amalgamated into one person.  :yucky:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."