News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Major ice storm in the Montreal area.  Grey Fox might be among those without electricity, although it's mostly concentrated on the island of the Montreal and a bit on the north shore.

Close to 1 million without power as of this morning.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I did not lose power & internet but I am on the edge of a massive area without anything.
Most everything west, north & south of me is without power.
I am a proverbial island of light in a sea of darkness.

There's a shit ton of broken tree branches in my yard too. My ~150 year old tree took a beating.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2023, 09:36:04 AMI did not lose power & internet but I am on the edge of a massive area without anything.
Most everything west, north & south of me is without power.
I am a proverbial island of light in a sea of darkness.

There's a shit ton of broken tree branches in my yard too. My ~150 year old tree took a beating.
Glad you're ok. :)

One of my cousin on the island is in a similar situation, all around her there's no power, but there's a block with power where she is.

The other one isn't as lucky, dead in the center of where there's no power at all.  At least he's coming here tomorrow.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Holy crap - it's supposed to hit +29c today!  On May 1!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

We hit at the begging of April. Snow 3 days later :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2023, 12:07:57 PMHoly crap - it's supposed to hit +29c today!  On May 1!
1c! :yeah:

uh...
:wacko:

HVC

Major flooding in Quebec. Hope our Quebec posters are ok.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Water restrictions are now in place.  A long hot dry summer is expected, and has become the norm.  A little reminder, I live in what is supposed to be a temperate rain forest zone. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on May 04, 2023, 02:38:56 AMMajor flooding in Quebec. Hope our Quebec posters are ok.

I'm fine. I would not have called what is happening to be major flooding.

HVC

Glad it isn't as bad as I thought. Guess the clips I saw made it see worse

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on May 04, 2023, 10:53:56 AMGlad it isn't as bad as I thought. Guess the clips I saw made it see worse

It's impressive no doubt but I didn't see any news on flooding in areas that don't expect flooding regularly.

Barrister

High of +31c today.  There've been multiple wildfires in and around the city the last few days - pretty dry spring all things considered plus high temperatures.

Supposed to cool off with a good chance of showers on the weekend.  Here's hoping.

Jacob

Yeah... just heard that apparently the rise in global ocean temperatures is coming faster than expected. This is, of course, a strong indicator of lasting climate change and will likely have significant impact on our food supply (depletion of fish stocks, changes in agriculture as ocean currents weaken or change etc).

Barrister

Oof.  Over 400 wildfires burning in Alberta.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/8d86d267dcf44ad085a11939186f3d3a

The forecast was for some rain today.  I think it rained for like 5 minutes - not really enough to do any good.

Still a chance of showers tonight, which would be good - but also a chance of thunderstorms, which would not.

PDH

Way too much rain this winter here, it has even rained over an inch in May so far which is unusual for the Central Coast of California.  We are out of the drought for now, but the bloom of plants means that this summer (if dry) or next summer for sure there will fires.

For now it is very lush here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM