News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2023, 10:09:10 AMCanada: stop burning your damn forests down.  FUCK
Air is really bad here today.  I feel like I might have to use my inhaler. :glare:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2023, 08:18:08 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 09, 2023, 10:09:10 AMCanada: stop burning your damn forests down.  FUCK
Air is really bad here today.  I feel like I might have to use my inhaler. :glare:

Reap what you sow

Jacob

So apparently this Monday was the hottest day on record ever, globally.

Sheilbh

June was wonderful in London - but July is starting off really shit. Very cold all weak and just constant rain today :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 04, 2023, 03:53:33 PMJune was wonderful in London - but July is starting off really shit. Very cold all weak and just constant rain today :weep:

We and the rivers desperately need it.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I tried to be a trooper and walk 18 holes today but I crapped out after 7 and got a cart.  Asked a dude later what the temp is and he said 91 feels like 96.  So I don't feel so bad.

Maladict

A freak summer storm hit today, that almost never happens. Thankfully I just had my worn out roof replaced.

Grey Fox

We got hail the size of rapsberries yesterday, a pretty rare event around here. Made multiple bumps on the roof my new car. 😕
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Read that hundreds people have died from heat related causes in Texas during the current scorcher.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

I wouldn't have thought Texas. I know it's hot there, but the glory that is ac is pretty ubiquitous I would imagine. Unless maybe homeless people?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Might have gotten it mixed up. Seems 100+ dead in Mexico, 13 in Texas as per June 29th (couldn't find more recent numbers) https://abcnews.go.com/US/11-dead-texas-heat-related-illness-amid-scorching/story?id=100479859
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2023, 12:29:23 AMI wouldn't have thought Texas. I know it's hot there, but the glory that is ac is pretty ubiquitous I would imagine. Unless maybe homeless people?

People still work and go outside. Heat stroke can sneak up on you pretty quickly out there. So 13 dying of heat related reasons during a Texas summer month isn't shocking.

Got to keep hydrated and keep the sun off your skin if you are going to be working outside for long periods.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

13 makes more sense yeah. It wad the possible hundreds that surprised me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

At least when I was a kid in Philly, a lot of the summer heat wave deaths were elderly folks who didn't have someone caring for them, and either didn't have working AC or weren't using it properly (perhaps due to dementia).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 06, 2023, 12:29:23 AMI wouldn't have thought Texas. I know it's hot there, but the glory that is ac is pretty ubiquitous I would imagine. Unless maybe homeless people?

There was the tragic story of the father and son who went hiking (a couple of weeks ago?).  This is a heat dome and having lived through one of those a couple of years ago, I don't wish that on anyone.