News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on December 31, 2023, 08:39:20 AMA month or so ago the Guardian had a report on some (Bedouin, African, can't remember) shepherds in the West Bank being systemically bullied out by Israeli settlers. Needless to say these things are evil and will prevent any sort of peace. Also, the photos of where the speherds lived and how, made me think the closest comparison to what's happening there is what happened with the american natives and how the US settlers kept pushing them out.
Slightly different but I'd also add the ongoing push by settlers in Jerusalem in the Armenian Quarter:
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/crime-in-israel/article-779881
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on December 31, 2023, 08:39:20 AMA month or so ago the Guardian had a report on some (Bedouin, African, can't remember) shepherds in the West Bank being systemically bullied out by Israeli settlers. Needless to say these things are evil and will prevent any sort of peace. Also, the photos of where the speherds lived and how, made me think the closest comparison to what's happening there is what happened with the american natives and how the US settlers kept pushing them out.

Other comparisons would be the range wars in the western US between farmers and ranchers and the unrest between ranchers grazing on leased land the feds.

Valmy

The Settlers are just pretty much allowed to do whatever. It is ridiculous. The PA lacks the ability to do much about them and the Israeli government lacks the will.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PJL

Quote from: Valmy on December 31, 2023, 07:37:48 PM

The Settlers are just pretty much allowed to do whatever. It is ridiculous. The PA lacks the ability to do much about them and the Israeli government lacks the will.

Can't Blue Byte do a patch to fix this? :D

Admiral Yi

Ultra orthodox contribution to the battle for hearts and minds.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Protest during Senate hearing on Ukraine/Israel aid.

viper37

Israel still trying to evict Palestinians from Gaza

Text in French.

Again, the talk is to send Palestinians to Canada.  Picking a country that is likely to say yes to a large number of refugees coming in, unlikely to threaten Israel with any kind of retaliation, economic or otherwise.

Maybe we should agree to some.  10 000 in Côte St-Luc (Montréal), 6 000 in Westmount, about 50k in Toronto, around Bathurst Street.

We will do our part.  But we will ask B'nai Brith to found part of the effort and work toward the acculturation of the new community to Canadian values in the name of peace and tolerance.

They talk a lot about the racism of Canadians and Québécois, so I'm sure they'll show us how open and tolerant their communities can be. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Hamas leader - 3rd in the military chain of command apparently - assassinated in Beirut. Hezbollah is not pleased.

Jacob

I can't see any country agreeing to take in a large number of Palestinian refugees to allow Israel to ethnically cleanse Gaza.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2024, 08:30:35 PMI can't see any country agreeing to take in a large number of Palestinian refugees to allow Israel to ethnically cleanse Gaza.

Once Israel has pushed them out into a tiny corner of the strip, and once they decide they embark them on boats or planes for wherever they may go, countries will have a choice: look even worst than Israel or accept the refugees.

We did get the flak for not taking in more Syrian refugees and not doing more to protect them in Syria.  Syrian refugees did not find refuge in Israel or in the Gulf countries like Saudi Arabia, Qatar or UAE.  Neither of these countries sent their troops to Syria either, IIRC.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

I don't think that's how it'll play out, but I suppose we'll see.

Razgovory

People would rather admire the Palestinians from afar.  Ask the Lebanese and the Jordanians what happens when you admire them close up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2024, 09:59:19 PMPeople would rather admire the Palestinians from afar.  Ask the Lebanese and the Jordanians what happens when you admire them close up.

It's a legitimate moral question.  Civilians leaving Gaza creates new "facts on the ground" in the same way the West Bank settlements do.  They change the status quo.