News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by PJL - Today at 06:12:43 AM
Again, people are blaming the voters. It's never their fault. If Harris can't beat Trump, it's because she ran a poor campaign.
You can tell people it's bad taste to watch a circus freak show or that shouldn't slow down a rubberneck a car accident, or keep going from clickbait article after clickbait but they will do it anyways.  And or that same reason Trump will always get more than his share of coverage. He entertains.  The weirder and darker he gets the more interesting the show.

I don't blame the media - they don't create the demand. Covering him doesn't make him win. Massive self-delusion among tens of millions of American voters does.  TV transmits the campaign message that the Trump years were better, but the amnesiac delusion of voters who can't remember just a few years ago when we had massive unemployment and about as many Americans died than in all wars combined is what makes that absurd message work.  People who fondly remember low gas prices and fewer illegal border crossing and forget that was because the whole country was locked down and out of work.
Off the Record / Re: Grand unified books thread
Last post by crazy canuck - October 26, 2024, 03:54:34 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 25, 2024, 06:31:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2024, 04:04:29 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 25, 2024, 03:20:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2024, 09:16:49 AMWhat sets it apart?

Fascinating, unique characters and a grimdark setting that makes Game of Thrones seem like a Disney musical. 

I will pick it up

Let us know what you think.  It's okay if you don't like it.  It's not for everyone, especially at the beginning when you don't know why anyone is doing what they are doing.

Will do, I am away this week but will dive into after that.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Last post by Admiral Yi - October 26, 2024, 03:23:41 PM
Quote from: PJL on October 26, 2024, 11:32:08 AMIsn't that akin to saying that the candidate was right, but it was the voters that are wrong that many left wing people make? Merely blaming it on something else is not the answer. We need to figure out how to influence voters into making an informed choice. In that respect, the media have a lot to answer for.

I don't think calling a candidate crazy is akin to saying the candidate is right.
Last post by PJL - October 26, 2024, 11:32:08 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 25, 2024, 02:35:23 PMAt a certain level we can't protect the voters from themselves.  If they really want to vote for a crazy candidate then pretending the candidate isn't crazy isn't helping matters.

Isn't that akin to saying that the candidate was right, but it was the voters that are wrong that many left wing people make? Merely blaming it on something else is not the answer. We need to figure out how to influence voters into making an informed choice. In that respect, the media have a lot to answer for.
Off the Record / Re: Israel-Hamas War 2023
Last post by Josephus - October 26, 2024, 09:41:52 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on October 26, 2024, 03:56:54 AMIt seems restricted to military targets, no nuclear or oil infrastructure. I'd be really surprised if Biden had nothing to do with that.
Maybe

Maybe Israel was taking out Iran's air defence capabilities first

Last post by Sophie Scholl - October 26, 2024, 07:38:11 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 25, 2024, 10:12:44 PMTwo things.

2.  I just heard a Taylor Swift song on the radio, and it dawned on me: did Trump start to gain momentum again AFTER she endorsed him? Coincidence?🤔

She endorsed Harris.
Last post by Tamas - October 26, 2024, 06:42:36 AM
You assume they would value the fate of the country over their own profits/key metrics. Which I don't think they do.
Off the Record / Re: Grand unified books thread
Last post by grumbler - October 26, 2024, 06:30:48 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 25, 2024, 06:42:07 PMthirded.
Found the ending of the first trilogy a bit a 'wtf' at the time, but it fit the universe. Will need to pick this up again as I got derailed after 'Best Served Cold' which I enjoyed a lot too.

The Age of Madness trilogy (aka "First Law, the Next Generation") is even more powerful/dark/fascinating than the first trilogy.  It's presumption that a fictional society can go from medieval to Industrial Revolution in three decades is something you have to get over, though.
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by crazy canuck - October 26, 2024, 05:42:21 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 25, 2024, 07:14:15 PM:hug:

I'm not saying it's not worth a discussion. Nor did I say people who are against immigration are necessarily racist. There is a time when lowering immigration levels is a good thing. But I still think this is a populist move on Trudeaus part and one that is short sighted.

As an immigrant myself, I have strong feelings about this.

Being critical of immigration is in.

The NDP are blaming it for the election woes here.

Quote"Every change we tried to bring in got overwhelmed by the overwhelming immigration," said Mr. Bains, 72, who had represented Surrey-Newton.