News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Gaming HQ / Re: Path of Exile - upcoming F...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 07:07:57 PM
Looks like they have borrowed mechanics from lost ark and grim dawn.  Which is great to see
Gaming HQ / Re: Path of Exile - upcoming F...
Last post by FunkMonk - Today at 06:45:57 PM
Yeah they've clearly thought through things and have a plan and this league is a great opportunity to test how to best implement their ideas for PoE 2.
Off the Record / Re: [Canada] Canadian Politics...
Last post by crazy canuck - Today at 06:43:28 PM
 :lol:

That's brilliant
Last post by Josephus - Today at 06:33:48 PM
There's an editorial cartoon in the Star. Freeland saying that Trudeau has great confidence in her while behind her Justin grabs onto the legs of a fleeing Carney

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/theo-moudakis-confidence-in-chrystia-freeland/article_273af00c-4539-11ef-8c2f-fbb0a3e73c1a.html
Last post by Josephus - Today at 06:31:36 PM
GF used the word zeitgeist. I'm so proud of the way we've brought him up
Off the Record / Re: Microsoft Cloud is down- i...
Last post by Tonitrus - Today at 06:02:57 PM
Interestingly, our school (which runs quite a bit using Microsoft platforms) chose today tell everyone to stay home and run a "virtual class" stress test.  :lol:

However, we also mostly use MacOS operating systems...and had no apparent issues.
Off the Record / Re: Elon Musk: Always A Douche
Last post by viper37 - Today at 05:42:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 18, 2024, 09:58:52 AMSee, it is stuff like this that makes Texafornians annoying.
Not even the vaporware?  (hyperloop)
Off the Record / Re: Microsoft Cloud is down- i...
Last post by viper37 - Today at 05:37:36 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on Today at 02:36:54 PM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 03:19:38 AMAn interesting argument I heard the other day about why AI is just a fad came onto Google Stadia- that cloud gaming is completely backwards thinking. Computers are cheap and plentiful. Its reliable ultra fast internet that is a rare commodity in the world. For most people it will never make more sense to play a game on a computer hundreds of miles away rather than just hooking one up to your TV.

Thoughts?

Chromebooks and low spec computers are cheap and plentiful, high spec computers are big and expensive or less big and really expensive.  The AAA gaming ecosystem is built around high-cost hardware and planned hardware obsolescence, a nasty combination.  Cloud gaming can liberate the user from the GPU upgrade treadmill, but even more importantly, it liberates the user from dedicated hardware, period.  You can play on any device (screen) you want in virtually any form factor.

Yes fast and reliable internet connections aren't available everywhere in the world, but where they are available it makes that service attractive. And the value and use cases of building out network infrastructure go well beyond gaming so investment will continue to pour in.

Cloud gaming has too much latency for most games to be played reliably on ultra high graphics, it requires lowering graphic quality.

It's good for certain types of games, not good for others.

It's always going to be a niche product, never be of mass appeal like PC or console.  That is, until we can fix the problem with very high speed internet connections being available everywhere and not just for a tiny portion of the population (upload and download)
I feel like I should split this comparative economics tangent off into its own thread. :shifty:
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by Norgy - Today at 05:08:54 PM
Donald J. TargEARian.