Marvel Cinematic Universe - The Marvels [Spoilers]

Started by garbon, January 30, 2021, 04:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2021, 01:42:49 PM
I'm curious how a Loki Season 2 is going to work.

The first two series, WV and FatWS, told self-contained stories.  Kind of like a movie but longer.  That meshes very well with the MCU being a whole series of movies.

But Loki set up the big baddie as Kang (as I understand it).  Kang has already been announced as the villain of Dr Strange 2.

So I guess you'll be required to watch Dr Strange 2 before seeing the next season of Loki?  Funny way to run a tv series.
It kind of fits with the MCU model though. 
PDH!

Habbaku

I don't see how that's weird. Who's watching these TV series without being caught up on at least the majority of the MCU (or is that the MCM now?)?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Dr. Strange? Good one BB.

It is in 25 other properties release, including Black Widow.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

lol i like the guardians of the galaxy holiday special :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Loki so far in the future. Wow. Where's this from? That would surprise me.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on July 15, 2021, 02:00:21 PM
I don't see how that's weird. Who's watching these TV series without being caught up on at least the majority of the MCU (or is that the MCM now?)?

Me  :Embarrass:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2021, 01:42:49 PM
I'm curious how a Loki Season 2 is going to work.

The first two series, WV and FatWS, told self-contained stories.  Kind of like a movie but longer.  That meshes very well with the MCU being a whole series of movies.

But Loki set up the big baddie as Kang (as I understand it).  Kang has already been announced as the villain of Dr Strange 2.

So I guess you'll be required to watch Dr Strange 2 before seeing the next season of Loki?  Funny way to run a tv series.

They (Disney) aren't running a TV series; they are running a premium content subscription service with merchandising links across a multi-media empire.  If people go the theatre to see a motion picture on a big screen, that's nice and brings in some incremental revenue.  But it isn't essential.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

I should note that as someone who has no idea who Kang is, I really enjoyed the season finale.

The Minsky Moment

For perspective, Disney's movie studio operations generated about $4.8 billion in revenue from theatrical releases in the last pre-COVID year, a record number driven by Avengers:Endgame.  (it obviously went way down in 2020).

But in 2020 direct-to-consumer revenue hit over 16 billion, including over $7.5 billion in subscription revenues.  That is probably around $1 billion per month by now. 

So whether the next Thor movie makes $400 m or $500m in theaters doesn't make that big a difference in the grand scheme.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2021, 03:48:13 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 15, 2021, 02:00:21 PM

Me  :Embarrass:
Monster!
PDH!

garbon

I still can't believe Moon Knight is getting a TV series. One of the few comics I had as a child.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Habbaku

Yep. Pretty fun fluff, but still fluff at the end of the day.

Not sure I cared for the T'Challa-Lord episode much, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on August 26, 2021, 09:23:51 PM
Yep. Pretty fun fluff, but still fluff at the end of the day.

Not sure I cared for the T'Challa-Lord episode much, though.

The "T'Challa talked Thanos out of universal genocide, but he still thinks it could have worked" bit was pretty funny.

With so many returning voices, the ones that didn't are pretty jarring though.