Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2022, 02:53:54 PMNoteworthy that race hasn't entered into the Texas shooting discussion.

I foolishly looked at Breibart comments and the shooter being brown was the only thing they taled about

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Gups on May 29, 2022, 04:55:09 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2022, 02:53:54 PMNoteworthy that race hasn't entered into the Texas shooting discussion.

I foolishly looked at Breibart comments and the shooter being brown was the only thing they taled about
The first days after the standard thing was "He was an illlegal immigrant we must secure the border!!!!!!!"
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on May 28, 2022, 05:14:49 PM
Quote from: Threviel on May 28, 2022, 11:19:07 AMArmed female bystander kills man firing at party in West Virginia https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61615236

Apparently some soccer mommy gave the republicans wank material for decades to come.

Yeah, heard about this, seems to be getting splashed about all over in response to the school shooting :bleeding:

I mean sure that does happen but you never know how people are going to respond to a high stress situation like that. Even soldiers who have spent months or years for battle will freeze up under fire. Simply having armed people around is not guarantee of security, especially as the nut job will get the first shots. And these nuts are expecting to die, being killed is not really a deterrent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

This song kind of disappeared, the issue overshadowed by Covid and GOP coup attempts. Sadly it seems relevant again.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on May 28, 2022, 09:05:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2022, 05:16:29 PMI'm having a hard time with this one.  They keep showing photos of these kids.  Little girl who looks dressed up for first communion, pictures like that.  It's just too much.  Can't watch it.  I really wish there was something I could do to prevent these things from happening.

You can vote and organize for the Democratic party. That's about it.
Mancin is a Democrat, and he does not want more gun control than there is now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2022, 09:53:47 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2022, 09:49:53 AMI would say it didn't amount to fuck all at all.

They did go in. Several of them followed the shooter into the school, and they did neutralize him and did save several lives in the process.

I would say that you don't need that much training to do the bare minimum expected of your job.

There is a piece in the New York Times written by the person who developed the FBI training for active shooting events.

"Current protocol and best practices say officers must persistently pursue efforts to neutralize a shooter when a shooting is underway. This is true even if only one officer is present. This is without question the right approach."

The writer then goes on to describe that the problem is likely that police officers undertake the training to tick a box and never really mentally prepare themselves for what what they must do in those high stress situations.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 30, 2022, 07:34:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2022, 09:53:47 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2022, 09:49:53 AMI would say it didn't amount to fuck all at all.

They did go in. Several of them followed the shooter into the school, and they did neutralize him and did save several lives in the process.

I would say that you don't need that much training to do the bare minimum expected of your job.

There is a piece in the New York Times written by the person who developed the FBI training for active shooting events.

"Current protocol and best practices say officers must persistently pursue efforts to neutralize a shooter when a shooting is underway. This is true even if only one officer is present. This is without question the right approach."

The writer then goes on to describe that the problem is likely that police officers undertake the training to tick a box and never really mentally prepare themselves for what what they must do in those high stress situations.
Dawson College comes to mind.  The officers were already on site, but they weren't armed with anything else than their usual service weapon, a 9mm.  As soon as they heard the first shot, they ran toward it and eventually confronted the shooter, wounded him and he took his own life.  One dead, 17-18 injured, but it could have been much worst, had they hesitated or not been already in the site.

A similar scene was reproduced in the Canadian tv show 19-2, in English and French.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Reports that Uvalde police are also going to stop cooperating with the state investigation into the shooting.

Again they're a public service who should be accountable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Police should never have the option to refuse to cooperate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2022, 05:44:40 PMReports that Uvalde police are also going to stop cooperating with the state investigation into the shooting.

Again they're a public service who should be accountable.

They can and probably should take the Fifth.  The state can provide temporary law enforcement assistance while the Uvalde police are suspended with pay, pending charges (afterwards it will be without pay).

It will be interesting to hear what actually happened, rather than the police lies about it.

You'd think that, if they decided that they were going to lie about it, they'd come up with a lie that didn't make them look like incompetent cowards.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on May 30, 2022, 08:27:13 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 28, 2022, 09:05:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2022, 05:16:29 PMI'm having a hard time with this one.  They keep showing photos of these kids.  Little girl who looks dressed up for first communion, pictures like that.  It's just too much.  Can't watch it.  I really wish there was something I could do to prevent these things from happening.

You can vote and organize for the Democratic party. That's about it.
Mancin is a Democrat, and he does not want more gun control than there is now.

If you elect more Democrats, you don't need every single one to pass legislation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2022, 01:35:37 AMThis song kind of disappeared, the issue overshadowed by Covid and GOP coup attempts. Sadly it seems relevant again.

I missed that song the first time around. Eminem still has it...damn...

Quote from: viper37 on May 31, 2022, 02:58:43 PMA similar scene was reproduced in the Canadian tv show 19-2, in English and French.

Damn that was super intense, disturbing and well made. Is the rest of this show that good?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?