Routine Shootings at US Schools and Universities Megathread.

Started by mongers, October 23, 2015, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

QuoteTexas Police Lieutenant Says Cops Were Reluctant to Engage Gunman Because 'They Could've Been Shot'

A Texas Department of Public Safety official said responding officers were cautious as they entered Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas because "they could've been shot."
(...)
On Thursday's The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, the host discussed the Tuesday's horrifying events with DPS Lt. Chris Olivarez.

Blitzer asked his guest if officers at the scene made the correct choice to wait for backup before they went after the gunman.

Olivarez said officers were inside the school quickly, and they heard gunfire when they arrived. They called for reinforcements, he said. The officers in the building waited for a special tactical team to show up as they isolated the shooter to one classroom.

"Don't current best practices, don't they call for officers to disable a shooter as quickly as possible, regardless of how many officers are actually on site?" Blitzer asked him.

Olivarez said the officers who arrived at the school quickly might have been shot had they attempted to take out the gunman alone.

I mean...

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on May 27, 2022, 07:07:04 AMI'm reading online a smattering of messages and info pieces that puts the Uvalde PD in some pretty bad light, as well as making the seemingly standard precautions taken by the school pointless. I hope things are clearer in the near future and it turns out it's not as bad as it looks, but things seem pretty muddled right now.

If I get things right:
- The shooter spent around 15 minutes shooting people outside the school, entering it unopposed.
- Police appeared in the scene after the shooter entered the school, and after an initial exchange of gunfire with the shooter, settled back to securing the perimeter.
- During the stand-off, parents gathered around the school and were prevented by police officers from entering it in order to rescue their children, with accounts of parents getting handcuffed, tackled and pepper sprayed by police/marshalls.
- This lasted for one hour, until a tactical team from the Border Patrol entered the school and shot down the shooter.

I guess that plenty of questions will be asked. Why did the police wait for one hour to enter the school and engage the shooter? This is no rinky dink two horse town police force of a couple of guys, the Uvalde PD costs the city (pop. 13k) 4 million dollars per year, 40% of its annual budget, and has a 9 officer strong SWAT team. On top of that, the school district also has a police department, although much smaller, and they were the ones who initially engaged with the shooter, rather than the Uvalde PD. What's the point of this small town multi-million police departments with SWAT teams if they have to wait for federal troops to do the dirty work? I mean, if you have a bloated, militarized and extremely expensive police force, they could at least do the job they're meant to do.

Keep the blacks in their place?
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2022, 09:28:03 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 26, 2022, 09:21:00 PMChrist

Died at 33 :contract:

Note that the romans didn't have any guns and he was killed with 2 other dudes which made it a mass casualty incident. If we ban the guns the killers will just mass crucify people. Don't try to argue this, it is the gospel truth.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

The republican nominee for senate from Georgia (and ahead in at least one poll), with a history of mental health issues and all sorts of abuse allegations, has the solution to this that I don't think anyone has come up with before "a department that can look at young men that's looking at women that's looking at social media."

He has also previously said he has played russian roulette over 6 times, so that is fairly convincing evidence that guns aren't that dangerous: if they were he wouldn't be here, right?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

HisMajestyBOB

See, this is why we need to arm teachers. Police are only trained to gun down unarmed black people, they just don't have the training to confront an active shooter.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: alfred russel on May 27, 2022, 08:14:10 AMThe republican nominee for senate from Georgia (and ahead in at least one poll), with a history of mental health issues and all sorts of abuse allegations, has the solution to this that I don't think anyone has come up with before "a department that can look at young men that's looking at women that's looking at social media."

He has also previously said he has played russian roulette over 6 times, so that is fairly convincing evidence that guns aren't that dangerous: if they were he wouldn't be here, right?

I feel like these may be related. Does he have a hole in his head?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

alfred russel

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 27, 2022, 09:00:20 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 27, 2022, 08:14:10 AMThe republican nominee for senate from Georgia (and ahead in at least one poll), with a history of mental health issues and all sorts of abuse allegations, has the solution to this that I don't think anyone has come up with before "a department that can look at young men that's looking at women that's looking at social media."

I feel like these may be related. Does he have a hole in his head?

Probably CTE from his football/MMA days, which would have made a fatal outcome in russian roulette really tragic with the loss of the ability of science to study his brain.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on May 27, 2022, 08:10:36 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2022, 09:28:03 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 26, 2022, 09:21:00 PMChrist

Died at 33 :contract:

Note that the romans didn't have any guns and he was killed with 2 other dudes which made it a mass casualty incident. If we ban the guns the killers will just mass crucify people. Don't try to argue this, it is the gospel truth.

Guns don't kill people, procurators do.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Let's face it: Jesus and his apostles were radical left woke activists.  They mixed with prostitutes, political radicals and drug addicts (claiming to be possessed or having "visions").  They rejected traditional values like respect for authority and corporal punishment of criminals.  They encouraged loose behavior in women by rejecting tried-and-true punishments like stoning.  But the worst was their treasonous rejection of the right to self-defense. The Romans would have never messed with Judaea if the Jews were packing AR-15s and kevlar.  Instead they were nationcucked because the woke apostles pussied out about turning the other cheek.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 27, 2022, 01:09:28 PMLet's face it: Jesus and his apostles were radical left woke activists.  They mixed with prostitutes, political radicals and drug addicts (claiming to be possessed or having "visions").  They rejected traditional values like respect for authority and corporal punishment of criminals.  They encouraged loose behavior in women

To this point I was thinking this sounds like Madison Cawthorn.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on May 27, 2022, 07:26:43 AM
QuoteTexas Police Lieutenant Says Cops Were Reluctant to Engage Gunman Because 'They Could've Been Shot'

A Texas Department of Public Safety official said responding officers were cautious as they entered Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas because "they could've been shot."
(...)
On Thursday's The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, the host discussed the Tuesday's horrifying events with DPS Lt. Chris Olivarez.

Blitzer asked his guest if officers at the scene made the correct choice to wait for backup before they went after the gunman.

Olivarez said officers were inside the school quickly, and they heard gunfire when they arrived. They called for reinforcements, he said. The officers in the building waited for a special tactical team to show up as they isolated the shooter to one classroom.

"Don't current best practices, don't they call for officers to disable a shooter as quickly as possible, regardless of how many officers are actually on site?" Blitzer asked him.

Olivarez said the officers who arrived at the school quickly might have been shot had they attempted to take out the gunman alone.

I mean...
I am confused about the timing here...

If they're talking not assaulting the shooter at the moment where he is confined alone to a classroom, I think it's wise to wait for backup.

If they were afraid of entering the building while he was actively shooting kids, it's another matter entirely.

I am unsure about what moment they're talking about, and what happened at first too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on May 27, 2022, 07:07:04 AMI'm reading online a smattering of messages and info pieces that puts the Uvalde PD in some pretty bad light, as well as making the seemingly standard precautions taken by the school pointless. I hope things are clearer in the near future and it turns out it's not as bad as it looks, but things seem pretty muddled right now.

If I get things right:
- The shooter spent around 15 minutes shooting people outside the school, entering it unopposed.
- Police appeared in the scene after the shooter entered the school, and after an initial exchange of gunfire with the shooter, settled back to securing the perimeter.
- During the stand-off, parents gathered around the school and were prevented by police officers from entering it in order to rescue their children, with accounts of parents getting handcuffed, tackled and pepper sprayed by police/marshalls.
- This lasted for one hour, until a tactical team from the Border Patrol entered the school and shot down the shooter.

I guess that plenty of questions will be asked. Why did the police wait for one hour to enter the school and engage the shooter? This is no rinky dink two horse town police force of a couple of guys, the Uvalde PD costs the city (pop. 13k) 4 million dollars per year, 40% of its annual budget, and has a 9 officer strong SWAT team. On top of that, the school district also has a police department, although much smaller, and they were the ones who initially engaged with the shooter, rather than the Uvalde PD. What's the point of this small town multi-million police departments with SWAT teams if they have to wait for federal troops to do the dirty work? I mean, if you have a bloated, militarized and extremely expensive police force, they could at least do the job they're meant to do.

From what I'm reading - and it could well be misinformed - it sounds like most of the children and teachers were murdered after the police arrived on the scene while they waited for the SWAT team to arrive.

Also it appears that the husband of the teacher who was murdered died of a heart attack shortly afterwards, leaving four children behind.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Yeah, this is not looking great for the PD.

This timeline:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/05/27/us/timeline-texas-shooting-uvalde.html

Does't look great, but it doesn't look as bad as I've heard either ("They waited on hour!").

Police officers entered the building and exchanged fire with the gunman within minutes of him entering the building.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned