News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

He was arrested but is out on bail. I think there are 2 accusers with 3 separate allegations. One isn't getting charged, supposedly, because of a technicality in the law. Still waiting on the other 2 possible charges.

Arsenal won't do anything unless Partey is charged. They appear to be wiping their hands of it and leaving it to the police.

The player you're thinking of is Mason Greenwood, whose accuser publicly released graphic video evidence of abuse. I think the public outcry pushed United to suspend the player.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2022, 01:55:29 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 05, 2022, 01:34:37 PMTOP OF THE LEAGUE
STOP THE COUNT!

:lol:

Saliba is the biggest LANS ever. He was so good in preseason and tonight he looked like he'd been playing in the prem for years.

Admiral Yi

So Chelsea picked up Sterling.

My boy gets pushed further down the depth chart.  :(

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2022, 05:58:08 PMSo Chelsea picked up Sterling.

My boy gets pushed further down the depth chart.  :(

Yeah he needs to leave Chelsea.

To be honest, Pulisic might not even be the best American in the PL anymore. Aaronson at Leeds is staking a claim. He puttin' the word out.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on August 05, 2022, 01:19:05 PM

Sheilbh I suspect will agree with his fellow Evertonians  :P

Surprised to see Chelsea so low, they landed on their feet on the Abramovic issue and the new owners are splashing the cash.

I guess different perceptions of hope. For bournemouth it's about relegation. For Chelsea it's not winning the league.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Few things make me happier than seeing Manchester United play like crap and lose at home.

Josquius

A thought has just come to me.
With women's football being big in the news at the moment... Could there be a legal case against man City et al for paying their women's team so much less than their men?

Yes yes. We all know the reasons why this is so. It's mad to expect the women's teams to be earning such riches.

But could be interesting for taking a shot at the insane wages of top men's teams... Maybe give women a bit of a boost though perhaps its using them
██████
██████
██████

Gups

celedhring

I remember when our gender gap law came out an expert said it couldn't be applied to sports since men's and women's leagues had separate collective agreements - which regulate pay scale -, even though in some cases the employer (i.e. a football club) was the same, and the job performed (playing football) was the same.

Essentially our current law (which is derived from EU law so I assume it will be similar in the rest of Europe), guarantees equal pay within members of the same collective agreement.

Let me quickly add that my knowledge on labor regulations is pitiful.

Sheilbh

I feel like football is basically exempt from all sorts of laws (maybe only tacitly though). I don't know how the 4/5 year contracts work in employment law, for example, or how leagues aren't cartels.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2022, 04:15:14 AMI feel like football is basically exempt from all sorts of laws (maybe only tacitly though). I don't know how the 4/5 year contracts work in employment law, for example, or how leagues aren't cartels.

In Spain sports contracts have their own regulation, which was quickly ushered in when courts found that, indeed, most of football's usual employment practices were against general labor law.

I think the Superliga case is interesting because it will force the CJEU to address the cartel-like character of UEFA and the national leagues.

Gups

If equal pay was somehow enforced (and equal with whom? individual male footballers are on widely divergent wages within the same club) then the big clubs would simply close down their women's teams.

Jacob

Yeah, I think the way for (some) women footballers to get the same massive pay as (some) male players is for the women's leagues to generate the same kind of revenue as the men's leagues. If winning women's leagues are financially lucrative for the clubs, then the competition for talent will follow.

It's not like the clubs wants to pay hundreds of millions of Euros for top talent if they can avoid it, it's that competition for that talent that leads to those contracts.

Now, if income from the women's clubs were used to support superior pay for the mens' teams, then some legislation might make sense - but I don't think that's the case?

FunkMonk