News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: The 2022 Economic Crisis M...
Last post by Tamas - August 10, 2022, 04:15:30 PM
US year-on-year inflation came in at 8.5%l 0.2% below expectations with 0% month-on-month.

Maybe I am following too many market-related Twitter accounts and reading too many comments under them, but I have a suspicion if inflation does start to stagnate/come down, it will become the next front in the big tribal civil war of the US. People drawing the front line over whether they refuse to comprehend the YoY or the MoM part of the statistic.
Off the Record / Re: What does a TRUMP presiden...
Last post by The Minsky Moment - August 10, 2022, 04:00:01 PM
Never a good sign when the first line of defense is: the cops planted it. 

Although maybe that's a function of hiring a legal team based on their performance on cable news shows instead of a courtroom.
Off the Record / Re: TV/Movies Megathread
Last post by Darth Wagtaros - August 10, 2022, 03:51:59 PM
Quote from: Gups on August 10, 2022, 04:38:51 AMThe raven in Sandman is very annoying and appears to be purely in the show for exposition.
Yes, it isn't the best interpretation of Matthew.
Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-1...
Last post by Malthus - August 10, 2022, 03:48:51 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2022, 02:11:12 PMWhat really matters though, is if Russia considers Crmira enough "theirs", to resort to nukes if they think they risk losing it.  Which they have said.  I would guess that for Crimea, they would really mean it.

One of the scarier outcomes of the mess Putin's Russia has landed itself and us in with its shitty invasion, is to create a 'boy cries wolf' atmosphere around nuclear threats.

Part of the price they pay for lying about, well, everything, is that their threats are not credible, and they have no way to communicate which are to be taken seriously.
Off the Record / Re: What does a BIDEN Presiden...
Last post by The Minsky Moment - August 10, 2022, 03:48:27 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 09, 2022, 06:15:17 PMI'd point out, while it is just one data point--Berkshire and Buffett don't believe in dividends and do believe in share buybacks.

Of course they do; buybacks are tax advantaged compared to dividend distributions.  But that is an argument in favor of taxing them.
Last post by Jacob - August 10, 2022, 03:27:29 PM
At this point, I'm willing to defer to Putin's nuclear deterrent by not putting armies into what I consider Russia and driving towards Moscow*. Everything else - and that includes the Ukrainian territory of Crimea - pfeh.

(*obviously not my decision, but that's where I'd draw the lines)
Last post by Zoupa - August 10, 2022, 02:55:11 PM
Putin is very, very scared of his own death. He's never going to go nuclear, as he knows that would be the end for him.
Last post by mongers - August 10, 2022, 02:41:06 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2022, 02:11:12 PMWhat really matters though, is if Russia considers Crmira enough "theirs", to resort to nukes if they think they risk losing it.  Which they have said.  I would guess that for Crimea, they would really mean it.

Yes that's my view as well, a future Putin's Russia, firmly on the back foot to Ukrainian forces, decides to use tactical nukes to defend 'Russian soil'.

Also on the Crimea since the take over in 2014 a lot of the remaining Tartars had to flee because of persecution, many settled quite near the border in Southern Ukraine and so were force to flee again this year.

Last post by Tonitrus - August 10, 2022, 02:11:12 PM
What really matters though, is if Russia considers Crmira enough "theirs", to resort to nukes if they think they risk losing it.  Which they have said.  I would guess that for Crimea, they would really mean it.
Gaming HQ / Re: The Miscellaneous PC & vid...
Last post by Jacob - August 10, 2022, 12:55:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 09, 2022, 10:09:46 PMAfraid AI is going to take your job?

No, not at the moment.