News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baldur's Gate 3 announced

Started by Syt, June 06, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

I'm 4 hours in this game and I'm still exploring the initial zone that is immediately after the tutorial  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

chipwich

Solmyr

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 05, 2023, 10:02:21 AMI'm 4 hours in this game and I'm still exploring the initial zone that is immediately after the tutorial  :lol:

30 hours into the game and same.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on August 05, 2023, 05:40:02 AM3rd edition was the last tabletop version I played. I felt like I had fun despite the system. 5th edition feels much smoother but maybe its just that it is on a computer.

I DMed 3/3.5 to my then-RPG group quite heavily, though we started with AD&D 2e in the 90s. Forgotten Realms was actually the world we had the most campaigns in. So it holds a special place in my heart. I've played 5e in an online campaign last year, and the ruleset seems to be fairly robust. Definitely a lot easier to keep track of modifiers than it was in 3e!

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 04, 2023, 08:58:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 04, 2023, 06:44:53 PMI should really search for an authentic Ad&D 1st Edition experience, any suggestion which games do conform to those rules or at least something in the spirit of the game from way back then?

The Goldbox games are available on Steam if you are willing to accept late 80s graphics.
The original Baldur's Gate used 2e rules but 2nd edition isn't really THAT different. 

Thanks MM Ill check them out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

Sadly I've shelved it for now. I play mouse and keyboard from the couch, and the TV is my monitor. It's impossible to make tooltips and the UI in general bigger. Apparently that has been a constant complaint for 3 years on the Larian forums.

Going to wait for a mod to address that hopefully.

I find this situation pretty ridiculous for a AAA game in 2023. You can bet the console version will have a bigger UI. Not sure why PC is always a fucking afterthought.

Sophie Scholl

Important note: Be sure to turn off karmic dice. It not only affects the player, it affects npc's, too. I was wondering why I they never missed and always did solid damage. I turned it off and the results were faaaaaar more reasonable.  :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on August 05, 2023, 12:23:08 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 04, 2023, 08:58:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 04, 2023, 06:44:53 PMI should really search for an authentic Ad&D 1st Edition experience, any suggestion which games do conform to those rules or at least something in the spirit of the game from way back then?

The Goldbox games are available on Steam if you are willing to accept late 80s graphics.
The original Baldur's Gate used 2e rules but 2nd edition isn't really THAT different. 

Thanks MM Ill check them out.

I haven't played on the table in over 30 years so understand that preference.  However, the 5e ruleset is pretty good. Definitely more tactical options then 1e/2e and more immersive and useful ones than 3e.  It's the first rules edition that makes playing a fighter an interesting option with 2 excellent subclasses.  Casters are stronger than 1e/2e at lower levels but not quite as overpowered at high levels (fewer high level spell slots and many spells require constant concentration to maintain).  It still has the wacky no holds barred multiclassing rules from 3e that funnel players to focusing efforts on "builds" rather than playing the damn character.  But you can just ignore it - most of the classes do very well as a single class.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Quote from: Zoupa on August 05, 2023, 07:15:01 PMSadly I've shelved it for now. I play mouse and keyboard from the couch, and the TV is my monitor. It's impossible to make tooltips and the UI in general bigger. Apparently that has been a constant complaint for 3 years on the Larian forums.

I find this situation pretty ridiculous for a AAA game in 2023. You can bet the console version will have a bigger UI. Not sure why PC is always a fucking afterthought.
Hmm. I will also play it on my TV screen connected to a PC. Let's see if it is readable. Had that issue with other games too. Currently downloading, will play tonight.

celedhring

I'm so tempted... but I wanted to devote this summer holidays to going to the beach and writing a "one for me" script that I've always wanted to finish, and BG3 would send my productivity to hell in a handbasket  :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: Zoupa on August 05, 2023, 07:15:01 PMSadly I've shelved it for now. I play mouse and keyboard from the couch, and the TV is my monitor. It's impossible to make tooltips and the UI in general bigger. Apparently that has been a constant complaint for 3 years on the Larian forums.

When will they learn. I've been finding this problem is common in games for the past decade.
Even when they too put in a UI scaler it's usually broken, blowing up the entire UI to silly levels rather than just putting the text up a few points.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Did you start with a custom character or with one of the predefined origins?

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on August 06, 2023, 01:30:56 PMDid you start with a custom character or with one of the predefined origins?

I think the devs' recommendation was to play a custom character on your first playthrough to make it your own and not having to worry if any decision "makes" sense in the context of the predefined char's backstory. Also, you can pick them up as party members in game and follow their story lines, so you're not losing out on narrative.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

I like how that advice assumes multiple playthroughs as a given  :lol: