And we're back!

Main Menu

Baldur's Gate 3 announced

Started by Syt, June 06, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Sounds like you played with a crap DM :nerd:

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 27, 2023, 08:41:19 PMSounds like you played with a crap DM :nerd:

Just making a reference to a very specific adventure  :P

And it wasn't the DMs fault, he was just playing it as written!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2023, 07:54:00 PMAh 1970s D&D.

"You see the entrance to the dungeon"

"We bravely enter yelling our battle cry"

"You all fall down a 100 foot pit and die"

:lol: That's great. I guess I never read up on the madness of the original too much. My introduction was via the old computer/NES games, the Dragonlance books, and the boxed starter set with the red dragon on the cover.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

I cannot overstate the effect the original Dragonlance trilogy had on me and my couple of friends who read my copies (well I had the Hungarian translations of it of course).

We were RPGing already using a Hungarian system which was our first exposure to the whole idea and I had one or two of the Fighting Fantasy books already, but this was the first fantasy epic I read and right away something meant to fit into AD&D. We ended up naming our first AD&D characters after characters from the book.  :D (we were 13, in our defense).

I think I read the trilogy 6 times during my teenage years.

The Minsky Moment

A favorite old school rule was the requirement to spend weeks of training and studying time (plus gobs of money) before advancing in level.  Definitely up there in the hierarchy of most ignored AD&D rule.  Love to see the player reaction if that rule was properly implemented in a cRPG ("wait where's the level up button for my cleric?   2000 gp on vestments?  WTF?")
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2023, 07:54:00 PMAh 1970s D&D.

"You see the entrance to the dungeon"

"We bravely enter yelling our battle cry"

"You all fall down a 100 foot pit and die"

See now that would never happen to proper 70s era players.  It would some poor hirelings and henchmen that would be the first to go.

Better boost that CHA on your fighter - going to need some more henchmen.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2023, 09:46:01 PMJust making a reference to a very specific adventure  :P

Yeah okay if your DM selects a tournament module and runs it as written, then yeah that's what you're going to get. Still is the DM's responsibility.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 28, 2023, 12:04:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2023, 09:46:01 PMJust making a reference to a very specific adventure  :P

Yeah okay if your DM selects a tournament module and runs it as written, then yeah that's what you're going to get. Still is the DM's responsibility.

Ok I never actually played D&D in the 1970s, I was born in 1977, and I never actually ran this module. I was just making a joke and a nerdy reference.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Two by Fours was an awful module.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2023, 02:31:25 PMOk I never actually played D&D in the 1970s, I was born in 1977, and I never actually ran this module. I was just making a joke and a nerdy reference.
[/quote

I was just engaging in nerdy banter  :hug: :nerd:

... and I didn't start until the 80s either.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2023, 09:10:11 AMI cannot overstate the effect the original Dragonlance trilogy had on me and my couple of friends who read my copies (well I had the Hungarian translations of it of course).

We were RPGing already using a Hungarian system which was our first exposure to the whole idea and I had one or two of the Fighting Fantasy books already, but this was the first fantasy epic I read and right away something meant to fit into AD&D. We ended up naming our first AD&D characters after characters from the book.  :D (we were 13, in our defense).

I think I read the trilogy 6 times during my teenage years.
I actually started with The Legend of Huma followed by its sequel, Kaz the Minotaur. For whatever reason, those were the ones that jumped out to me over the Dragons trilogy. It was wild reading them eventually and seeing Sturm, the "modern" Knights of Solamnia, and seeing so many, to me, reoccurring little bits of lore from Huma pop up. Huma and Kaz were absolute game changers though in terms of my love of fantasy in general and knights and knighthood in particular. I think I'm on my... like 5th copy of Huma and 3rd of Kaz? I've read Huma well over a dozen times. Probably more than twenty over the years if I really tried to do a full reckoning. I honestly couldn't even tell you if it is remotely a good book, because I have zero objectivity on the subject. It is possibly even more of a comfort book for me than the LotR trilogy. I have a feeling I might need to do a re-read as soon as I finish my current primary read. For many reasons.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

BG3 final info: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3655285307835439472

Download will be 122GB (no pre-load, apparently not possible if the game was in early access), unlocking 3rd August at the below times. Some more info about the game in general (voice actors, mind flayer skill progression, etc.). There's also some info on 4K requirements.

QuoteWith a good CPU and a GeForce 3060, you can play at 1440p at 60fps. Native 4K will require double fill rate, so we recommend using a top-end GeForce 4080/4090 or AMD equivalent. And of course, with DLSS, you can reach 4K with lower requirements, thanks to the wizards at Nvidia.

I'm nearing completion of BG2 - Throne of Bhaal. I may be able to finish by Thursday late afternoon, and I will probably have thoughts about it afterwards that I will post around here somewhere. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Throne of Bhaal is not as good as the main game. The story is way too linear and the power gaming is absurd. By the end, your characters could probably single-handedly take the top enemies from the base game.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on August 01, 2023, 01:47:00 AMThrone of Bhaal is not as good as the main game. The story is way too linear and the power gaming is absurd. By the end, your characters could probably single-handedly take the top enemies from the base game.

That's what it feels like so far. Even in Story Mode, some of the fights and what's getting thrown at you is a bit brutal. I do appreciate, though, that by this point any ranged characters will have weapons/accessories that don't require restocking of ammo anymore. And I was incredibly happy when I finally found a bag of holding in the main campaign. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

The only problem is that the Bag of Holding can become full. :P