News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Free unzip programme

Started by Monoriu, June 10, 2013, 01:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I've been using Winzip for years.  It has a free evaluation period.  So I change the computer date every time I need to use it.  That means usually once a day, or several times a day.  I don't really mind the hassle, but recently it seems that the frequent date changing is messing up iTunes and the anti-virus update programme. 

Any suggestions for a totally free, safe, virus/advertisement free and simple unzip programme?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Windows has native zip extractions.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 10, 2013, 06:16:40 AM
Windows has native zip extractions.

Yeah...cannot recall the last time I needed a separate unzip program.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2013, 01:02:50 AM
I've been using Winzip for years.  It has a free evaluation period.  So I change the computer date every time I need to use it.  That means usually once a day, or several times a day.  I don't really mind the hassle, but recently it seems that the frequent date changing is messing up iTunes and the anti-virus update programme. 

Any suggestions for a totally free, safe, virus/advertisement free and simple unzip programme?

That's taking a nuke to smack an anthill, Mono.  The only thing that happens after the trial runs out is you get a pop-up saying "Your trial has expired" and gives you a count of how many days you've been "evaluating" it.

IZarc is completely freeware, BTW, and basically covers all the big zip formats (7z, RAR, LHA, etc). http://www.izarc.org/
Experience bij!

viper37

Peazip is also liked by many people, but I prefer 7zip.  Never tried Izard though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 10, 2013, 07:22:02 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2013, 01:02:50 AM

That's taking a nuke to smack an anthill, Mono.  The only thing that happens after the trial runs out is you get a pop-up saying "Your trial has expired" and gives you a count of how many days you've been "evaluating" it.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

IZarc is completely freeware, BTW, and basically covers all the big zip formats (7z, RAR, LHA, etc). http://www.izarc.org/

All I am saying is that I need to change the date whenever I need to unzip a file, and that is messing up my system.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2013, 05:10:35 PM

All I am saying is that I need to change the date whenever I need to unzip a file, and that is messing up my system.

Hmm, I wonder if they finally changed that. Anyway, yeah no real reason to use winzip at this point.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2013, 05:10:35 PM

All he's saying is that you never actually had to do that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

Arvoreen

Just go with 7zip.  It handles everything you might encounter and it is free.

The built-in zip support in Windows is awful and slow...

garbon

Quote from: Arvoreen on June 16, 2013, 03:21:33 PM
Just go with 7zip.  It handles everything you might encounter and it is free.

The built-in zip support in Windows is awful and slow...

Agreed with this and I'll also add that 7zip is generally faster than WinRAR too.