News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Buddha's New D&D Thread is Groovy, Man.

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, May 26, 2009, 12:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Never play D&D with law students.

They come upon a succubus who's been imprisoned by sorcery, and she makes them a serises of promises if they release her. They draw up a contract there, with a series of clauses indicating this is the whole and complete agreement, that the items are to be nonrevocable, that she promises not only to not attack the players, but to oppose actions by her allies to attack them, etc. etc. Ultimately, one character says, "I hate to metagame, but Scott's (me) the DM, and I feel this is still going to dick us over somehow."

So they let her rot, and a goblin releases her at one point, before they kill it. She lets them go, but they are forced to sign a contract in blood that they owe her one favor.

Naturally, when she comes to collect a session later, the players proceed to argue that a promise to fulfill a promise is so vague as to be illusory, and therefore it's unenforceable.

Darth Wagtaros

I'd kill them.  Not in the game iether.
PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Faeelin on October 19, 2009, 10:38:39 AM

They come upon a succubus who's been imprisoned by sorcery, and she makes them a serises of promises if they release her. They draw up a contract there, with a series of clauses indicating this is the whole and complete agreement, that the items are to be nonrevocable, that she promises not only to not attack the players, but to oppose actions by her allies to attack them, etc. etc. Ultimately, one character says, "I hate to metagame, but Scott's (me) the DM, and I feel this is still going to dick us over somehow."

So they let her rot, and a goblin releases her at one point, before they kill it. She lets them go, but they are forced to sign a contract in blood that they owe her one favor.

Naturally, when she comes to collect a session later, the players proceed to argue that a promise to fulfill a promise is so vague as to be illusory, and therefore it's unenforceable.

:bleeding:
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Changed my Favored Soul to Human Male after realizing that playing a character with a Monstrous level meant she wouldn't have been a true 20th level FS and not have the DR 10/cold Iron. Also been playing too many Hot Chick character recently. Don't wanna be pegged as "that guy who only plays hot chicks" . Not who I am as a player.

I dislike that kind of player who either only ever plays a variation of the same character, often with the same name, every time. I try to go totally different a often as possible. There are so an great ways to go.

My character is going to be a good healer, blaster and a scrappy melee artist using cat claws for rending purposes (also carries a +5 "blessed" heavy mace, and a "banishing" (any extra planar creature it hits of less than 25 HD!) Light crossbow. He's a worshiper of Bast named "Socrates Cairo" ,,,, Looks kind of like Bronze Tiger from DC comics.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 19, 2009, 11:35:30 AM
I'd kill them.  Not in the game iether.

Frankly, all ten of the Taken from the Black Company need to show up in that game. And Soulcatcher is pissed off.

And if that doesn't do it, the Dominator.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

Man writing up a 20th level character seems harder than it used to. I guess I really have used up a lot of brain cells. It's tken me way longer to create this character than it will likely be used... It'd be cool though if we could have this game not be a one off... and I could grow an Epic Character.

Neil

Who were they arguing to?  The judge on the Blood Pacts circuit?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on October 21, 2009, 05:04:01 PM

yeah, seriously. I hope the DM went hardass on them.

Darth Wagtaros

Or really make a point by simply saying, "Rocks fall. Everyone dies."
PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

well my game tonight may end up depleted of numbers (3 players not 5) due to swine flu. 2 guys are getting checked out today. DM has some NPCs we can run if we need numbers. but the two guys who may be out are great players, really creative.

I may or may not do an full AAR. I will definitely mention how it went.

Galrion

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Galrion

Quote from: Neil on October 23, 2009, 10:15:17 PM
Quote from: Galrion on October 23, 2009, 09:38:11 PM
So whats the concensus on 4E?
Worst thing ever to have happened.

Any one thing stand out?  Aside from the whole alignment thing that consumed most of the thread.

BuddhaRhubarb

Brief AAR: Game went okay except for an odd lack of junk food. :blink:  I should have brought some hot snacks, ate before I went. some popcorn and chips (and girl coke) had me woozy after 10pm.

We got tricked into fighting a bunch of demons, which I wiped mostly out with one Lion's Roar. awesome frickin spell that. The Boss was much harder however as he/it was a vestige of an elder God ( as cthulu-ish as you can get in D&D) "Serterus" (sp?) a giant snakey bag o hit points and disease. Two of the five characters were Divine casters, my favored Soul, and a Cleric with a fe levels of some obscure class, i forget. Our spells didn't work on it at all as it exists outside divinity or some nonsense. :bleeding:

So we healed. and waited. I managed to wake everyone after a paralyze/stun happened. and get the tank in there. The wizard summoned some big ass elementals and we eventually beat it, only to realize we had been tricked, an were meant to go to another encounter in a spire high above Ptolus.

My spell list (below is an updated spell list based on advice from more experienced players after the game) kinda sucked, as did my equip... but it was enjoyable, and The DM is letting us re-tool a bit before continuing. (this was kind of a tester game) I've retooled my spell list.

Here's my current known spells: (spontaneous caster, no need for prep)

SOCRATES CAIRO'S  (Known) SPELLS

0-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (ORISONS) (9)

Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or object.
Guidance: +1 on one attack roll, saving throw, or skill check.
Light: Object shines like a torch.
Mending: Makes minor repairs on an object.
Purify Food and Drink: Purifies 1 cu. ft./level of food or water.
Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.
Resistance: Subject gains +1 on saving throws.

1ST-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (6)

Inhibit: Subject delays until next round.
Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
Resurgence: You grant subject a second chance at a saving throw.
Divine Favor: You gain +1 per three levels on attack and damage rolls.
Hide from Undead: Undead can't perceive one subject/level.
Ironguts: Subject gains +5 bonus on saving throws against poison.

2ND-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (6)

Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
Enthrall: Captivates all within 100 ft. + 10 ft./level.
Remove Paralysis: Frees one or more creatures from paralysis or slow effect.
Restoration, Lesser: Dispels magical ability penalty or repairs 1d4 ability damage.
Sound Burst: Deals 1d8 sonic damage to subjects; may stun them.
Spiritual Weapon: Magic weapon attacks on its own.

3RD-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (6)

Ghost Touch Weapon: Weapon works normally against incorporeal creatures.
Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
Dispel Magic: Cancels spells and magical effects.
Searing Light: Ray deals 1d8/two levels damage, more against undead.
Awaken Sin: Subject faces its sins, takes 1d6 nonlethal damage/level (10d6 max)
Resurgence, Mass: As resurgence, but multiple subjects.

4TH-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (6)

Cure Critical Wounds: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +20).
Death Ward: Grants immunity to death spells and negative energy effects.
Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.
Restoration: Restores level and ability score drains.
Moon Bolt: 1d4 Strength damage/3 levels; undead made helpless.
Sound Lance: Sonic energy deals 1d8/level damage.

5TH-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (6)

Break Enchantment: Frees subjects from enchantments, alterations, curses, and petrification.
Command, Greater: As command, but affects one subject/level.
Cure Light Wounds, Mass: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level for many creatures.
Disrupting Weapon: Melee weapon destroys undead.
Flame Strike: Smite foes with divine fire (1d6/level damage).
Righteous Might: Your size increases, and you gain combat bonuses.

6TH-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (6)

Lucent Lance: Ambient light forms lance, deals various damage.
Bull's Strength, Mass: As bull's strength, affects one subject/level.
Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level for many creatures.
Dispel Magic, Greater: As dispel magic, but up to +20 on check.
Heal: Cures 10 points/level of damage, all diseases and mental conditions.
Bolt of Glory: Positive energy ray deals extra damage to evil outsiders and undead. (p37 spell compendium.)

7TH-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (6)
Cure Serious Wounds, Mass: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level for many creatures.
Holy Word: Kills, paralyzes, blinds, or deafens nongood subjects.
Restoration, Greater : As restoration, plus restores all levels and ability scores.
Radiant Assault: 1d6 damage/level, victims dazed or dazzled.
Brilliant Blade: Weapon or projectiles shed light, ignore armor.
Slime Wave: Creates a 15-ft. spread of green slime.

8TH-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (5)

Antimagic Field: Negates magic within 10 ft.
Cure Critical Wounds, Mass: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level for many creatures.
Lion's Roar: Deals 1d8 points of damage/2 levels to enemies; allies get +1 on attacks and saves against fear, plus temporary hp.
Fire Storm: Deals 1d6/level fire damage.
Brilliant Aura: Allies' weapons become brilliant energy, ignoring armor.attacking foes.

9TH-LEVEL CLERIC SPELLS (4)

Heal, Mass: As heal, but with several subjects.
Implosion: Kills one creature/round.
Undeath's Eternal Foe: Subjects receive negative energy protection and immunity to most undead special attacks.
True Resurrection: As resurrection, plus remains aren't needed.

I have some decent mithral armor. weird melee for a divine caster... (Cat's Claws/Heavy Mace) went with a Cat theme... Magic Set "Garb Of The Hunting Cat"
I'm unsure not having played such a high level character, as to magic items, like wands, scrolls etc. any advice?

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 21, 2009, 05:04:01 PM

I didn't think Succubus were bound by Laws.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017